Hood scoop insert

NSDQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine decided to grow wings and fly off my hood at about 110mph this morning on the highway lol. I didn't even know it was loose.

Anyone got a part number or a spare one I could buy? Thanks.

With all these losses of hood scoops it makes one ponder if there really is "ram air" force through the scoop. Been meaning to research this since I bought mine but hearing the stories more often leads me to believe there is useful air coming through scoop and not heat exiting like most believe.

Stay tuned for conclusive results :)

well the grill portion of the scoop broke off like a week ago from my hood having to be slammed hard to shut it each time, but the scoop itself seemed fine. But I guess it loosened up more and then I got a little crazy on the highway and it flew off lol. Went pretty high in the air too, I was impressed

The rivets on the bottom or whatever they are, are junk. 3 of my 4 are broken off. Just a matter of time before mine flies off but I'm not sure what to do to fix it :eek:

Well does anyone have a part number so I can order a new one? As much as I love the now giant scoop, it doesn't look good and now it could swallow a small child lol

$339?! Holy shit! I better go back up the interstate and find that damn thing. Holy crap

Just leave it off. Make a mesh grille or screen and make it look good. We were actually talking about this not to long ago

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Will have to fab up something custom. Not sure where to go or who could/would do it.

With all these losses of hood scoops it makes one ponder if there really is "ram air" force through the scoop. Been meaning to research this since I bought mine but hearing the stories more often leads me to believe there is useful air coming through scoop and not heat exiting like most believe.

It's a low pressure area that draws air OUT through hood scoop. Definitely explains scoops comming out at 100+. ;)

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Will have to fab up something custom. Not sure where to go or who could/would do it.

I would go with some heavy mesh. Spend a day or two with a hammer and a mallet getting the curves just right and then powder it. I dont know how you would go about fastening it, but theres a few options. I hope you do this, Ken, Carl, Chris, and a few others were talking about this not too long ago. Carl even did a photoshop of how it would look, kicked ass! If you do take pics so I can steal your ideas.

Mine blew out on my first truck. $340 NOT painted. Once a week check the four plastic bolts and nuts that secure it. Really a cheap set up for a truck that cost that much in the beginning.

Or he could just make one himself for under 50. Think about if that entire area was mesh, how much better the engine bay could breathe.

It's a low pressure area that draws air OUT through hood scoop. Definitely explains scoops comming out at 100+. ;)

Yeah, this whole does it suck or blow was finalized back in what? 2004? It definitely blows!

I took a bird strike about 115K miles ago to my scoop. Half his body got wedged into the scoop the other half spread itself over my windshield. :eek: I cut the remaining mesh out then found how cheap the whole thing was mounted and simply upgraded the hardware with parts from my local auto paint supplier.

Not sure if you were around back " in the day" but there was a huge study with wind streamers and videos of the front of the truck showing wind flow etc, and they proved it quite well that there is vary little ram air effect.
And there was actually more suction of the streamers up and away from the intake vs any of them being " rammed" into the intake...

And even if there was an effect at a 100mph there is something like 1psi of pressure " and you had the proper intake to receive the pressure" you might gain 1psi if your well up and above the speed limit ...

Found and old article on it here are some comments

any reasonably well designed scoop will convert 100% of the air's kinetic energy into a pressure which increases as the square of the speed. At 100 MPH, this would be 0.176 psi, or ~ 1.2%, thus ~9 HP on a 750 HP engine. e.g., because of the squared factor, it would be 0.7 psi/4.8%/36 HP at 200 MPH.

Underhood temps have not decreased since the scoop blew out. They've staid the same. Been driving it now 2 days without the scoop and no change. I'm more worried about all the bugs and shit getting sucked in there. I've thought though on our hoods some kind of clear cutout like the ZR1 would look kinda cool if done right and how the scoop is right now without the insert you can see the intake mani pretty well and also my CAI and it looks kinda cool. So visually I'd like to leave it like it is without the scoop but cover up the bare metal that's exposed from where the scoop attached and put some kind of grille/mesh to keep the bugs and crap out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back