How Do You Post Video

It’s missing 2 cylinders .. but heck ,,, I mean hey , “ IS THAT A HEMI “ :D

Nice! Good they use the same size. You can swap if you need to :cool:
Not quite lol....very different bolt patterns and offsets, not to mention tire size lol. I can't even imagine 255/45's on my truck LMAO. Even the 275/40's on the SRT lol....way too short a tire. Stock size on my truck is 275/55R20, which is also what size the giant steelie spare tire is and just so happens to be about the same height as the stock 10 tire size.

Hahaha i honestly didn't even click to the fact that the truck wasn't a 10 :rolleyes:

Derr
Ha!
Nope, just has alot of good 10 parts in it (front springs, front/rear brakes, D60 axle, hood, some interior shite). Needed a good foundation for the 6.1 + 8HP70 that is ultimately going in it.

Not quite lol....very different bolt patterns and offsets, not to mention tire size lol. I can't even imagine 255/45's on my truck LMAO. Even the 275/40's on the SRT lol....way too short a tire. Stock size on my truck is 275/55R20, which is also what size the giant steelie spare tire is and just so happens to be about the same height as the stock 10 tire size.

Ha!
Nope, just has alot of good 10 parts in it (front springs, front/rear brakes, D60 axle, hood, some interior shite). Needed a good foundation for the 6.1 + 8HP70 that is ultimately going in it.
Can you swap between the wagon and the truck that have the same wheel style on them? That's what I was referring to - if not, they still look great!

The stock spare wherl for the 10 is a 20" steel correct?

The stock spare wherl for the 10 is a 20" steel correct?
Yes … at least it’s not like one of those space savers hahaha. They should have made the spare the same IMO !

Ha!
I’ve always wanted the old 426 Hemi super bird and or a transplant into a duster .. the timing in my younger years sucked to say the least . The closest I came was a , I believe it was a 68 yellow charger with the 426 .. cherry condition . 2500$ .. problem came when my car was hit by a pickup truck sitting at a light and I had to get another car . About a week after that I found the charger listed and looked at it .. I couldn’t come up with the cash since I had to borrow the money from my Boss to get the 340 duster I just bought .. I asked dad and several others and they wouldn’t loan me the money either .. I can imagine , no I don’t want to imagine what that charger would be worth today . So I became a 340 fanatic !
One of these days I’m going to invent that Time Machine :D

I’ve always wanted the old 426 Hemi super bird and or a transplant into a duster .. the timing in my younger years sucked to say the least . The closest I came was a , I believe it was a 68 yellow charger with the 426 .. cherry condition . 2500$ .. problem came when my car was hit by a pickup truck sitting at a light and I had to get another car . About a week after that I found the charger listed and looked at it .. I couldn’t come up with the cash since I had to borrow the money from my Boss to get the 340 duster I just bought .. I asked dad and several others and they wouldn’t loan me the money either .. I can imagine , no I don’t want to imagine what that charger would be worth today . So I became a 340 fanatic !
My first five cars were classic musclecars, the sixth one was a C body, even with a 440 that's not exactly a fast car lol.

That will be awesome we can all use one!!

Fast isn't always the coolest factor :cool:
True ,, my ex had a 1963 comet that ran zero to sixty in 5.3 minutes hahaha .. it was the talk of the town

My first five cars were classic musclecars, the sixth one was a C body, even with a 440 that's not exactly a fast car lol.
For some reason I didn’t think the old 383’s had much in them ,, 440’s seemed much better . I wish mopar Direct connection was still around .. they had some good setups and information on how to build a fast car and all the parts always available..

Fast isn't always the coolest factor :cool:
True. While the barge had nearly the same external dimensions as my quad cab Ram (yep, just as long, just as wide) and almost the weight (4700 lbs vs 5300 lbs), it was fun to drive in, and comfy, especially long distance. I was stationed in NWFL and was sent to southern VA for a two month school and I drove it there. '74 Monaco 2 door w/factory 440. Taken by Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi in 2005. :(

Monaco.jpg Right-front.jpg Right-rear.jpg

For some reason I didn’t think the old 383’s had much in them ,, 440’s seemed much better . I wish mopar Direct connection was still around .. they had some good setups and information on how to build a fast car and all the parts always available..
B383's (there was actually an RB383 years before) were just heavy small blocks and only rated at 335hp at best. Big block heads (same as a 440) but a short stroke (3.375"). By comparison, a '68-'71 LA340 wasn't much less on displacement or stroke (3.31") and was criminally underrated at 275hp (NHRA was factoring these to about 315hp by the early 70's) plus much lighter. The 440 is and always was a torque monster. Torque is what gets shit moving. My Monaco had a 440, my grandfather had an old 46' old Chris-Craft with twin 413's (preceded the 440 by a few years, same stroke, slightly smaller bore) and that big boat needed them to get her moving. Those engines were the first Mopar engines I ever wrenched on.

Wee Too1 edit.jpg

The 440 hit it's high watermark with the '69-'71 440 6bbl. 390hp/490tq (up from 4bbl 375hp/480tq). It was a better all around street engine than the 426 hemi for a few reasons; up until 1970, all 426 hemis were solid lifter. Pulling those giant ass vc's and doing lash every so often was a PITA. 440 had hydraulic. More importantly, the hemi's torque peak of 490 was all the way up at 4000 rpm. The 440 6bbl had the same torque rating but way down at 3200 rpm. That's a better launch and midrange punch every time.

There is an unholy combo that was discovered years ago during the late 70's smog era. After '71 with loss of cam, compression and the move to net hp ratings, the 383 was given a bigger bore for '72 for a 400 to offset some of the power loss. Had one of these in my '72 Road Runner. The 400 actually has a bigger bore than a 440. The bottom ends of both B & RB engines are made from the same casting, just the RB has a taller deck height (hence the "RB" moniker, Raised B) and larger crank mains than the B engine. So if you take a 440 Magnum forged crank and either cut down the mains on it or open up the main bores on the 400 block.............with stock 440 stroke and 400 bore you get a 451 B engine that you can tell everyone is a 383 lol.

:p:eek:
True. While the barge had nearly the same external dimensions as my quad cab Ram (yep, just as long, just as wide) and almost the weight (4700 lbs vs 5300 lbs), it was fun to drive in, and comfy, especially long distance. I was stationed in NWFL and was sent to southern VA for a two month school and I drove it there. '74 Monaco 2 door w/factory 440. Taken by Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi in 2005. :(

View attachment 65294 View attachment 65295 View attachment 65296

B383's (there was actually an RB383 years before) were just heavy small blocks and only rated at 335hp at best. Big block heads (same as a 440) but a short stroke (3.375"). By comparison, a '68-'71 LA340 wasn't much less on displacement or stroke (3.31") and was criminally underrated at 275hp (NHRA was factoring these to about 315hp by the early 70's) plus much lighter. The 440 is and always was a torque monster. Torque is what gets shit moving. My Monaco had a 440, my grandfather had an old 46' old Chris-Craft with twin 413's (preceded the 440 by a few years, same stroke, slightly smaller bore) and that big boat needed them to get her moving. Those engines were the first Mopar engines I ever wrenched on.

View attachment 65297

The 440 hit it's high watermark with the '69-'71 440 6bbl. 390hp/490tq (up from 4bbl 375hp/480tq). It was a better all around street engine than the 426 hemi for a few reasons; up until 1970, all 426 hemis were solid lifter. Pulling those giant ass vc's and doing lash every so often was a PITA. 440 had hydraulic. More importantly, the hemi's torque peak of 490 was all the way up at 4000 rpm. The 440 6bbl had the same torque rating but way down at 3200 rpm. That's a better launch and midrange punch every time.

There is an unholy combo that was discovered years ago during the late 70's smog era. After '71 with loss of cam, compression and the move to net hp ratings, the 383 was given a bigger bore for '72 for a 400 to offset some of the power loss. Had one of these in my '72 Road Runner. The 400 actually has a bigger bore than a 440. The bottom ends of both B & RB engines are made from the same casting, just the RB has a taller deck height (hence the "RB" moniker, Raised B) and larger crank mains than the B engine. So if you take a 440 Magnum forged crank and either cut down the mains on it or open up the main bores on the 400 block.............with stock 440 stroke and 400 bore you get a 451 B engine that you can tell everyone is a 383 lol.
Beautiful car!! So sorry you lost her!!

gorgeous boat!!! My heart!! (That will stop it for sure!)

what a wealth of information! Thank you for your time in sharing all that. We are lucky to have such knowledgeable Folks on this forum!

i sure learn a lot. Plus I adore everything vehicle - especially the 60s and 70s - thise were the days :cool:

Last edited:
:p:eek:Beautiful car!! So sorry you lost her!!
I lost 2 that day, my Pulsar was floating around in the garage lol. Had to step on it to get into the attic. Never have been able to find replacements for those two.
20231218_122107.jpg

gorgeous boat!!! My heart!! (That will stop it for sure!)
She was when they got her. At some point early in its life it belonged to the DuPont family. This particular year, model & size was my grandparent's dream boat when they got married in '48. My grandmother got an inheritance in 1979 and they went looking. This boat was being used at boys school in Philly. The inheritance was good timing too, as the former rumrunner they had since the early/mid 60's was finally starting spend more time sinking than floating. 50' Kofoed lapstrake hull, one of 3 built.
Looked like this during Prohibition:

Fleur-de-Lis1.jpeg

That's triple Liberty V12 aircraft engines pushing an overbuilt (her bottom planking was 8" thick; she was a bitch to cut up) hull to about 50 mph and could do it loaded with about 500 cases of booze.

Someone had put a cabin on it and it had no engines when my grandfather found it; it had a succession of single screw (he was cheap) Buick straight 8's & small block Chevy's over the years until her end.

IMG_20221230_0002_remastered1.jpg

I was in the navy at the time when my grandfather's health declined rapidly. I begged them for the old Chris-Craft; the only thing I ever asked for because I knew what they had planned. I got to ride with them through just about all of South Jersey's waterways up through Beach Haven and and about halfway down the Chesapeake Bay.
They ended up giving it to some guy who promised to fix it up and take them for rides. Instead he hauled it out, improperly blocked it, the hull warped and she got cut up. :(
Kinda wish he would've kept his word to give me those old 413's if he did cut her up; I would put them in the boat I have now lol.

Unbelievable history! Such great memories. I'm glad they got their dream boat and so unfortunate the promise wasn't kept to fix her and take them out. I wish you had those engines for your boat too! I guess some things just end up the way they do even though we wish otherwise :(

It's the memories that count and no one can take that from you :cool:

thank you for sharing. Such a lovely look back into a time that was ...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back