I think I hurt my engine!

that exact same thing happened to me mate, check out my posting. The valve seat dislodged, I felt it go onto 9 cylinders, my plug looked like yours.

thewelshm

Trying to find your post, do you have a link?

I found a small piece of steel in the intake, not sure where it came from. I'm in the process of pulling the motor, to do a autopsy. (It's about 1/4 in long)

20230808_175217.jpg

Whatever it is, it has seen some heat.
I'm still leaning towards piston material, but hope to be wrong.

Best of Luck...

I
Whatever it is, it has seen some heat.
I'm still leaning towards piston material, but hope to be wrong.

Best of Luck...

I've heard that Gen 3's are known for knocking off the top ring land on the cast pistons.

The Gen III just barely passed emissions. One solution was using collapsible lifters to reduce cam specs at idle, which helped.

Another was placing rings/ring lands fairly high up on the Piston, so unburned hydrocarbons couldn't "hide" there.

These gas engines will not tolerate detonation (none really do), and can break at the edge of the piston dome and ring land, yes.

Last edited:
If they are unfamiliar with Gen III Viper engines, it might be a good idea to tell them the oil pan has to come off BEFORE the timing cover does.

Best of luck with your project.

Oh boy that's beautiful for sure!! Good luck :cool:

Oh boy that's beautiful for sure!! Good luck :cool:

Thanks

Nice! Will they dyno it once they are done? Would love to see the specs on the new camshaft too.

Yes, a dyno session is included with the rebuild.

If they are unfamiliar with Gen III Viper engines, it might be a good idea to tell them the oil pan has to come off BEFORE the timing cover does.

Best of luck with your project.

Prefix is the premiere Viper engine builder in the country, they are the ones who built the engines for Dodges Viper race team.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back