Long Bar update!

lift_bars_v_traction_bars.jpg

In addition to stopping driveline destroying axle wrap and wheelhop, the purpose of a traction bar is to use the rotational forces of the rear axle to help transfer lift to the front end to aid in weight transfer back to the rear wheels. It does this by applying that rotational force to a point in 'front' of the rear axle - the further forward that point of transfer is (long bars anyone?), the better the 'lift'.

If it's only job was to stop axle rotation and cure wheel hop - it could easily do it by clamping BEHIND the axle

Don't be fooled by this picture! In both cases, there is no leaf spring shown . So how can you compare the two? Tractionbar picture is not gonna be able to "push" along it's centerline because the leaf spring won't let it ! So the real forces are much the same . To each his own i guess . The picture is. Learly for marketing the ladderbar! ......just my 2 cents

I would assume the RC and QC would be the same since they only offer one bar for the lightning/Harley trucks

Don't be fooled by this picture! In both cases, there is no leaf spring shown . So how can you compare the two? Tractionbar picture is not gonna be able to "push" along it's centerline because the leaf spring won't let it ! So the real forces are much the same . To each his own i guess . The picture is. Learly for marketing the ladderbar! ......just my 2 cents

Not trying to start anything by this post.....but Ive seen you mention how long bars (traction bars) dont/wont work a few times but dont recall you saying how they do work because its been proven that they do on a very similar platform.

Obviously Im biased because I own a set of long bars (not stifflers) if you have a better option for the money Im open to suggestions.

I would like to see more pics it doesnt matter if its from the ford i just want more pics.
Thanks

1. Arrestmered04
2. Lethal Hemi
3. Yellowfever#154
4. Ramsrt711
5. Mysrt10
6. Trainman
7. Rbabody
8. Jigsaw89
9. Srt2slow
10. Yellow venom
11. Mikeu220

I don't think i said that either would not work. Only that ,on a street driven daily driver, there may be more conflicts with the longbar mounting to the frame at a different mount point, as mush as a couple feet , i am guessing, away front where the leaf spring mounts . they will have different arcs. they both do as intended, keeping the differential stable. That leaves the weight transfer angle. the leaverage is wrong with the longbars in my opinion. I just see a number of 10 members signing up to have something custom made that will do the same thing as Caltracs and be disappointed . It is my belief ,only my belief, that the truck will probably squat more with the longbars than with Caltracs. The shortness of the Caltracs is the key to lifting the rear of the truck during launch. Just watch Trainman launch . there is very little squat, just weight transfer. again just my ...2 cents. I am enjoying the discussion. .....your turn!

I don't think i said that either would not work. Only that ,on a street driven daily driver, there may be more conflicts with the longbar mounting to the frame at a different mount point, as mush as a couple feet , i am guessing, away front where the leaf spring mounts . they will have different arcs. they both do as intended, keeping the differential stable. That leaves the weight transfer angle. the leaverage is wrong with the longbars in my opinion. I just see a number of 10 members signing up to have something custom made that will do the same thing as Caltracs and be disappointed . It is my belief ,only my belief, that the truck will probably squat more with the longbars than with Caltracs. The shortness of the Caltracs is the key to lifting the rear of the truck during launch. Just watch Trainman launch . there is very little squat, just weight transfer. again just my ...2 cents. I am enjoying the discussion. .....your turn!

Ive had both caltracs and longbars on my truck and you touched on the reason the caltracs dont work well at lower 60's (for myself and others) and its because it lifts the rear which unloads the rear tires. Long bars make the rear squat like you said which is called weight transfer.

Ive had both caltracs and longbars on my truck and you touched on the reason the caltracs dont work well at lower 60's (for myself and others) and its because it lifts the rear which unloads the rear tires. Long bars make the rear squat like you said which is called weight transfer.

I am looking for better traction on street tires. I have to baby the throttle all the time around town, or just get spin, even with current Caltracs adjusted correctly. To much torque with Paxton and 2500rpm stall converter, but don't want to give that up. Would these bars be helpful for a street tired QC?

I have couple other question, not trying to be devils advocate, just trying to learn.

How much would they negatively affect the handling in corners (I am thinking would have some fore/aft movement forces due the arc of the long bar travel) , but this might cancel each other out as one bar rises and the other side lowers when the truck leans in a corner, assuming equal travel on both sides.

What effect do they have on towing?

Not sure where the concern about the arc is cominng from? A longer bar will arc less over a given travel than a shorter bar. Same reason you want a panhard TPS to be as long as possible, it arcs less causing the rear end to move less. Another thing to consider is the lack of suspension travel on our trucks, I know on my lowered on that there is only about 3" from the axle to the bump stops.

Desrt10, I'm not sure how much they would help on the street, most of their advantage is using the sudden force of the axle trying to twist to get the weight to transfer. Under hard acceleration I do think they would help on street tires but just rolling into the throttle I don't think they would be much help. If you remember blackviper he had a set of long bars made for his roe truck, can't remember if he ever said how they worked just driving normal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un25G0W5MNA&feature=related]Stifflers Long Bar Test 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Found some "Stifflers"videos on Youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bhnG1KKPg&feature=related]No traction bars - YouTube[/ame]

wow never realized how much the drive shaft flexes... insane,, looks like the long bars would be a nice fix... to help reduce stress on the drive shaft etc...

just watch the movies above and see how much the leave springs do... they sure stop all movement.. lol..

just watch the movies above and see how much the leave springs do... they sure stop all movement.. lol..

Leaf springs or coil springs have a purpose in conjuntion with shocks ,provide ride quality at a low cost . that is why we install Caltracs/traction bars/longbars. Whatever you call them.to privide differential stability under hard excelleration. I am unclear what you are implying with your comment. Please explain?

Last edited:
Leaf springs or coil springs have a purpose in conjuntion with shocks ,provide ride quality at a low cost . that is why we install Caltracs/traction bars/longbars. Whatever you call them.to privide differential stability under hard excelleration. I am unclear what you are implying with your comment. Please explain?

you can clearly see the rotational force being pushed forward and up with the angle it is on.. therefore transferring a good amount of weight ..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back