Max N/A power from Gen 3

this is the only thing that i took out of your post.

thank you for using this statement correctly :D

anyways - carry on.

side note: i need a passenger head and am considering a H/C build in lieu of a stock head replacement and FI alternative.
true story...

Because SO many say Could care less... Correct??
Glad to able to help out with the small things. :)

Because SO many say Could care less... Correct??
Glad to able to help out with the small things. :)

Ronnie, have you flowed any of the Strykers? I know you've had great results with the trucks you've installed them on. I wonder if you would have had similar results with ported Gen III heads? 330cfm (quality CFM, not just numbers to sell heads) seems to be what most report for well ported Gen 3 heads and that matches what Greg has seen with the street Strykers.

Ronnie, have you flowed any of the Strykers? I know you've had great results with the trucks you've installed them on. I wonder if you would have had similar results with ported Gen III heads? 330cfm (quality CFM, not just numbers to sell heads) seems to be what most report for well ported Gen 3 heads and that matches what Greg has seen with the street Strykers.

Chris, how could you make a spelling error of this magnitude??? You of all people.... Strykers????????????? :shot:

Hello Caveman!
Grab a coffee and prepare yourself for another small novel...

It was recently brought to my attention that we are still discussing the value (and arguing, maybe?) about a Striker cylinder head that was designed for an engine that has been out of production for nearly 10 years and a head that is no longer available. Funny stuff!

Anyway...

Here is some more typing from the purported "Master of Second-Hand Information".. So PAY ATTENTION!! :)

Some have read it before, and some haven't.

Jeff Morys (still at Chrysler in the Airflow Research Division) assisted in the design of the Gen II, Gen III (and Gen IV) production heads. He also sold his ported versions of the Gen III heads as a side business back before there even was a Gen IV engine. Jeff has access to millions of dollars in sophisticated flow equipment and researches airflow for a living.

When he produced the Strikers, his goal was to able to bolt-on a substantial performance increase for the Gen III engines (even those with existing ported Gen III heads which Jeff and others sold).

There were lots of unique features about the Strikers because they weren't a production head but a fresh design, so the freedom was there to provide superior cooling, rigid spring pads, high-swirl combustion chambers, rigid decks, a reduction of the original Gen III Intake dog-leg (while still maintaining a reasonable valve-center and proper intake manifold fitment), premium valve gear components, etc. In other words features that aren't always feasible to design into a production head and still keep costs down.

As pressure from the public mounted and the horsepower wars were escalating, another new production cylinder head was needed for the Viper. Enter the Gen IV head.

Although the Gen IV head out-flowed the Street Striker in mid-lift, I find it interesting that the Striker-equipped Gen III Vipers were kicking ass on the new Gen-IV Vipers in sanctioned F.I.A. races all over Europe.

This no doubt part of the reason Jeff had to quit producing ANY competing cylinder heads and close the doors as the Striker-equipped Viper wins were really confusing potential new Gen IV Viper customers.

My personal set of Street Strikers flowed 332 c.f.m. (Intake) at 28" W.C. which is a standard pressure-drop value and about average for them.
Striker-Rs were higher than that out of the box but were really designed to be ported for best results.

Some guys use a higher or even lower pressure-drops for specific flow testing (port mapping, for example) but hopefully when heads are being discussed or are for sale, there is a common pressure drop being used or the flow information would be skewed. This would be similar to looking at cam specs with one at .050" lift and the other at some other value.

As mentioned somewhere in the above posts, "high-swirl" chambers (another Striker feature) as well as a proper squish/Quench design (not mentioned) both help to distribute and compress the mix, making it easier to light-off and provide even better high-efficiency power.

While I certainly do not agree with some of the theories nor examples put forth recently (such as the bizarre comparison between 2 and 4 valve O/H cam, high-revving Pro-Stock motorcycle engines vs. ported heads and the comparison to "too much flow"), maybe that's just me. At least we can agree to disagree and provide some information to anyone reading these posts. It is great that Greg and others are providing cylinder head options for these engines.

I have NO business-interest(s) in selling heads, porting heads or anything else to do with marketing performance cylinder heads.

Dom, my main Striker-R customer also appears to be happy with his purchase of his UNPORTED Striker heads. That truck is a missile! Note: This was a simple sale with no other affiliation with me.

I've built and enjoyed some really fast vehicles over the years based on some really simple theories that continue to be valid for me. I like this stuff and continue to learn about it; albeit no longer in a business capacity.

PS- I know that some people/shops could not get Strikers to work as advertised. There was a serious lack of information regarding valve lash adjustment when they were shipped.

When I first installed mine, they were rather dismal and then picked up dramatically with the proper valve adjustment. I believe it settled in at a gain of 143 wheel with a small 226 cam and Street Strikers (NO other changes); and at the time, I was running without headers. That was more than I initially expected and I was pretty happy.

Strikers Rock(ed)!!!! :rock:
R.I.P. (PLEASE)

Ronnie

Last edited:
Now I'm confused..... So companies that sell them refer to them in both spellings??? It's funny... Striker themselves call them Striker!

I think "Strykers" were a Chinese knock-off in an attempt to confuse and disorient potential buyers.

Overseas they were sold as: 前锋

Last edited:
I think "Strykers" were a Chinese knock-off in an attempt to confuse and disorient.

Overseas they were sold as: 前锋

LMAO!!!! Best post of the day right there. Although I might be reading that wrong Ronnie but I think the characters that you posted translates to "goat tits" :D

Ok, so now that Jerry (Trainman) has had a chance to run his truck at the track on an optimum air day, I see the following:

Using THE SAME horsepower calculators, Jerry's RACE engine with 427 Intake CFM, or whatever Greg said it was, produces horsepower power numbers that are extremely close to the same numbers per cubic inch my own STREET engine with un-ported STREET Strikers makes.

Once again gang: MORE CYLINDER HEAD FLOW DOES NOT automatically mean more horsepower.

I'm not comparing porters, builders, my engine, Jerry's engine or anything else here other than cylinder head flow.

I have seen this proven in many cases; and it's nothing against Greg Good or anybody else out there porting cylinder heads.

I haven't even got into BSFC numbers here: (efficiency) which is a whole other story.

Sometimes more flow can mean more power but on a cylinder head like the Gen IV that is maxed out by Mopar engineers, it is highly unlikely that ANYONE is going to make much (if any) improvement on them in the power production department; regardless of what the flow numbers say.

And that is ALL I've been trying to say, for the past decade or so.

Cheers!
And Happy St,. Patrick's Day!
Ronnie

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back