Max N/A power from Gen 3

There is still a 50 horsepower difference between a really well ported set of Gen III heads and a set of UNPORTED Street Strikers, for example.

No.

A lot of shops have builds with *properly* ported Gen 3 heads and Street Striker heads. The difference is about 10.

Not much to gain porting a Gen III intake. Maybe 25 HP (Max) BUT there is a corresponding drop in TQ.

My customers have seen more torque, not less. The casting is too thin to ever make it too big anyway.

Man, I've seen those tables and, well I guess they could/should work. Do they?
I don't think so, not in the real world.

High cylinder head flow, sells heads when you are in the market for them. Remember the Viper engine already HAS a performance head and Mopar spent a TON of money on development because POWER sells performance vehicles. Can you make improvements in flow and power on a stock head? ABSOLUTELY but only up to a point.

Pro Stock used to "race" flow benches until they found an increase in c.f.m. was producing LESS power than the previous version of the ported head they tried, that actually flowed less.

There is quality of flow.
There is quantity of flow.

And then there is what the engine wants/needs which is a head that produces MAXIMUM power and NOT the maximum possible c.f.m. numbers.

Pro Stock engine builders in the past have had bigger better flowing heads that ran slower. BUT...it was because they did not yet have the valvetrain to turn enough rpm to take advantage of them. With the new rules limiting rpm we'll see them put more stroke back in the engines and reduce port size a little.

And on quality.......I've been studying this (along with about 20 colleagues) since 1992. One myth that NEEDS to die a quick death is that you have to sacrifice cfm for *quality*. The exact opposite is really true. The best wet flowing heads always have really good cfm numbers, and great swirl.

Here's the biggest problem with the Striker head on boost. The casting is thin and they crack/break. I've had a half dozen sets come in for welding repairs.

Striker%20casting_zpspq5mhpnd.jpg

So I had to do this to make it hold.
Striker%205th%20bolt_zpsbwmqsgzo.jpg

So Ronnie, if I have to add a 5th head bolt .....why not just start with a Gen 4/5 head that will make more power?

While I agree with Ronnie and Greg on different parts of this subject, I will say properly CNC'd heads with proper cam has netted us 545 on a Mustang dyno which is closer to 600 on a Dynojet. Flat torque curve and off idle torque. I've learned much from you both and tweaked accordingly to benefit out trucks and my customers. Although a Gen3 there are still so many untried combos on the trucks where we are 2000-2500 lbs heavier. We need torque from idle to 5600-6000 whereas lighter cars will do nothing but toast tires with the same setup.
Torque curve is important for both but in much different ways. Now add a QC auto tranny to the variables. Same cam in a RC that's beast will make the QC a slouch under 2000 rpm, therefore a nice stall converter to get you in that rpm range for a bigger cammed auto but it'll still be horrible on mileage and city driving.
Greg has been doing heads for the LS world and Viper world since I can remember back in late 90s with awesone results.

Ronnie you know for one flow numbers of a head aren't the end all be all. Like you said, quality is important! An efficient combustion chamber design comes I to play as well. Greg pays attention to these areas as well as I shrouding the valve. While I agree Strikers (were) a great head, they were madly overpriced, service sucked, and thet weren't proven to be any better than a great set of CNC program heads or hand ported heads.
If not mistaken, last I spoke with Greg, he does not CNC, rather hand Ports everything! That's a lot to be said for attention to cylinder head porting.
Now will he take longer than a CNC setup, yes, but guarantee his are better than CNC and I use more CNCd heads than his only due to time constraints.
I'll tell you why his are better and I've seen this firsthand.
CNC programs have to ability to account for core shift in the molds these heads/intakes come from therefore badging thousands of sets of CNCd heads off one set you programmed for will never be accurate repetively on other sets afterwards. Greg's are 100% on every time.
As far as Intakes ported I agree with the 25hp increase but the torque is what increases moreso. It's helped my big beast achieve it's records for sure as part of the combo. All said and done, cost to power ratio I'd do Greg's heads or our CNCd heads over Gen4 or striker if they were even available. The gen4 setup is purty, but factor in headers, intake, valve covers, camshaft swap, it's not cheap nor does it reflect the gains power wise for the investment made. One would more wise to go FI for same price and more power ;)....but this is about NA power

Last edited:
Ronnie, here is the last head I wet flowed here in the shop. What do you think of it? Is it good? Bad? Why?

Thanks!

20150729_192312_zpsycgsxafy.jpg

Without getting in to this love fest too much, I sold our last set of strikers, we are making easy 600+ at the rear wheels even on stock short blocks with GG heads, I just wasn't seeing the results with the others, matter of fact we just sent our last set of R heads to Canada, and have a couple sets of GG heads should be here any day, one set of a stock bottom other a built bottom end. I guess I should take the time to make a list of all of the builds with GG heads and others, but.......I don't have that much time,
Many of you could benefit highly from listening to Greg, he is backed up months if not years with engines and heads, he has forgotten more than most will ever know, most others offering knowledge are well......probably not
we can always backwash a couple valves greg:rofl:

Ronnie, we can be friends ANYTIME you decide to. It is completely up to you. I don't like this.

Holy shit batman , this was fun . You two looks like need a hug and drink or two and smash some honda . That's would make you feel better . Just watch for vteck

Go get a viper truck right now! :D

I went and looked at this one yesterday. It's as clean as a truck could be, like a brand new 2005 RC... only with WAY MORE POWER. If anyone here is interested in buying it let me know and I'll put you in touch with the seller.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Yy63HQF58[/ame]

Agreed. This is the first great technical thread we've had in awhile. Very enjoyable.

It's my fault, I called Greg when I was reading the first few pages and I thought he could weigh in with some knowledge. I told him about the thread. Loved his input......and my Gen IV Greg Good Heads!:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back