Mods

VenomTruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for those who are looking to outperform the next guy. Besides the obvious failures on dodges behalf (lines) has anyone just left the damn thing as it is from the factory and seen how long it goes? The most mileage Ive heard was 170k stock. I know its hard to NOT mod these things, but from a maintenance stanpoint…do the mods help, or help kill it?

It depends more on how the mods are done. For the most part I would say mods will shorten the life span, in a QC the life of the trans will be dramaticly shortened

It depends more on how the mods are done. For the most part I would say mods will shorten the life span, in a QC the life of the trans will be dramaticly shortened

Tell me about it, Ive already had my trans rebuilt and Im not even close to the mods that some guys are running on qc's. I guess my question is how long can we expect these things to run? I am HUGE on maintenance and not so much mods. Id love to be able to keep this thing running for a long time because in the next 10-20 years I believe they will pick up value. Either way you cut it, these trucks are a part of automotive engineering history. Id like to be one of the guys that still have one in the future that runs good

I think stock generally equals longevity. The only acception I can think of would be headers, because they reduce underhood and combustion chamber temperatures.

I think stock generally equals longevity. The only acception I can think of would be headers, because they reduce underhood and combustion chamber temperatures.

Wouldnt it be awesome to see a stock 10 on the Barrett Jackson stage in 20 years? I hope someone out there can resist the urge

That would be sweet! Maybe even mecum lol I like mecums show! Anyway I believe that's the point of stock is for the auto maker to give u most reliable vehicle they can (money wise) but then again our trucks were built " solely for the purpose of speed"

sent: Thinking Hmmm What Can I Do Next

I think the biggest issue will be finding OEM parts. As these truck age the plastic bits will start to break, the electronics will fail.:(

I think that a big majority of failure is caused from how they get driven stock or modded!! You drive the crap out of anything, it's gonna break!!
I'm well over 700HP I haven't broke a single thing in 4 yrs and the 2 yrs I ran it stock I never broke a single thing either!

I think it depends on what the mods are. I believe things like CAI, exhaust and headers etc would do very little to harm your truck and some would argue they would actually prolong the life of your engine (and I'm in that crowd). Engines are basically big ovens, the more air in and out, the more they breath, the less heat. Suspension work would also be safe in my books.

Bolt on mods I reckon are safe. You can ALWAYS improve on a factory design, always (that's how cars evolve) so what's factory, isn't always safe/right. It might have been right 9 years ago (2004 trucks etc) but that may not be the case now. Factories know guys will mod their cars, it's accounted for and is business. Leave it open for aftermarket sales = more $$$$.

There really is no way to tell other than getting two trucks with 150,000miles, one with mods, one stock and compare them in terms of exterior stress and drive-ability. Even then it'd be hard. Remember, every single engine is different so no truck is equal. A SC truck may out last a stock engine, in this game, it can simply come down to good/bad luck.

I also agree with Yellow Venom, it also depends on how you drive it. I have and always will drive my toys the same, hard. Not a "dumb f#%k" kinda hard (like careless, etc) but I always get stuck into the gas pedal when I have a chance to do so safely, burnouts, get loose, etc. In short, I love being a hoon!!

IMO, when you drive a car and use it as intended (Ie: SRT - Sport Racing Technology) they just seem to get used to it and perform well forever. When you baby them, it's like you're wrapping them in cotton wool and when you do unleash it, it's like they're not used to it and it hits them harder than normal? Hard to describe but yeah, drive and use them as designed, have fun and most importantly, service them regularly and they'll last and last. 2c

122k miles on mine. I don't know who owned it before me, but they left it stock except for CAI. Since I've had it, I've done 3 dyno pulls and 2 trips to the track. Also added Roe SCT tune and some light exhaust work. From talks with Sean Roe about high mileage and what mods to avoid and which ones will be ok, he said intake/exhaust mods are fine (TB, heads, full exhaust). Cam is ok too, according to him. For my particular truck/engine, he said as long as I don't add more than about 150whp, I should be fine with the miles I have, assuming things are ok internally right now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back