Need answers - considering a QC SRT-10 purchase

Nitrousbird

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering a QC SRT-10 and have a number of questions.

Current needs/background: I currently have a ’02 Avalanche North Face Edition that I bought over 10 years ago. She is getting long in the tooth and ready for replacement. The truck is not my daily driver, as I have a lightly modded 335i for that, as well as a project car for when I eventually want to go fast again.

Truck is used for:
- Snow days (though I have snow rims/tires for my BMW) and central Ohio snows aren’t that bad
- To/from work on average of 1 day a week (more winter, less summer, 40 mile round trip – 1/3 freeway, 1/3 back roads, 1/3 city streets)
- Towing our 5000’ wake boat to/from the ramp (whopping 3 minute drive maxing @ 45 MPH)
- 830 mile round trip, all freeway, to Toronto 0-2 times a year (depends if we can fly out of Columbus or not)
- 850 mile round trip to North Carolina through the WV/VA mountains once a summer
- 700 mile round trip, towing our 5000lb boat and a good 2000lbs people/gear through the KY/TN mountains once a summer
- Random trips to Lowes/HD, maybe 1-2 times a month.

I realize this is really specific, but I’ve done this for years and that’s the use. Averaging 5000 – 7000 miles a year.

Truck will be used in the snow. I didn’t initially consider a SRT-10 due to the perceived cost and 2WD. I figure 20†Ram wheels + snow tires will resolve the 2WD issue – I’m experienced with high torque, RWD vehicles. I “require†a truck with leather and the regular amenities and the competition is slower for the same money, which is the draw to the SRT-10. I turn my own wrenches, so dealer BS is a non-factor. QC is the only option, RC is useless to me.

Questions:
- Besides swapping out the oil/PS lines for braided and regular band adjustments on the tranny, what else is really a common mechanical issue with these trucks? I’m not discovering much beyond this.
- Does the truck come with a tranny cooler stock?
- Can the SRT-10 specific parts be sourced? I know from having a North Face Edition Avalanche, I can’t source seat covers, which is an issue as mine are split and they are very difficult for a shop to duplicate.
- Do they come with Xenon/HID headlights? If not, are there good retrofit options?
- What is the deal with the spoiler/bed cover? I see some with and others without. What was supposed to come with the truck?
o I want the cover/spoiler – what is the real cost of buying these if not equipped?
- I can’t get a handle on REAL WORLD fuel mileage for the following:
o All freeway driving? Everyone seems to quote mixed/city, but I need a highway number
o Freeway towing? My boat, with the loaded up tower, is not exactly aerodynamic.

I would keep the truck relatively stock. I would install a double DIN Nav unit for user, and perhaps sub/amp/speaker upgrade. Will also install a large tranny cooler if not equipped from the factory, as I’m positive this is what saved the 4L60E in my Avalanche, which has not been cared for and works like a champ. Understand I’m considering this truck due to the price – it simply depreciated more than the rest…same reason I bought my 335i, which was a great purchase.

I’m seriously considering a QC SRT-10 and have a number of questions.

Current needs/background: I currently have a ’02 Avalanche North Face Edition that I bought over 10 years ago. She is getting long in the tooth and ready for replacement. The truck is not my daily driver, as I have a lightly modded 335i for that, as well as a project car for when I eventually want to go fast again.

Truck is used for:
- Snow days (though I have snow rims/tires for my BMW) and central Ohio snows aren’t that bad
- To/from work on average of 1 day a week (more winter, less summer, 40 mile round trip – 1/3 freeway, 1/3 back roads, 1/3 city streets)
- Towing our 5000’ wake boat to/from the ramp (whopping 3 minute drive maxing @ 45 MPH)
- 830 mile round trip, all freeway, to Toronto 0-2 times a year (depends if we can fly out of Columbus or not)
- 850 mile round trip to North Carolina through the WV/VA mountains once a summer
- 700 mile round trip, towing our 5000lb boat and a good 2000lbs people/gear through the KY/TN mountains once a summer
- Random trips to Lowes/HD, maybe 1-2 times a month.

ALL OF THESE ABOVE ARE PERFECTLY FINE FOR THE TRUCK

I realize this is really specific, but I’ve done this for years and that’s the use. Averaging 5000 – 7000 miles a year.

Truck will be used in the snow. I didn’t initially consider a SRT-10 due to the perceived cost and 2WD. I figure 20†Ram wheels + snow tires will resolve the 2WD issue – I’m experienced with high torque, RWD vehicles. I “require†a truck with leather and the regular amenities and the competition is slower for the same money, which is the draw to the SRT-10. I turn my own wrenches, so dealer BS is a non-factor. QC is the only option, RC is useless to me.
I WOULDN'T PICK THIS TRUCK SPECIFICALLY FOR "SNOW DAYS" BUT IT'S PERFECTLY FINE TO DO SO. I WOULD RECOMMEND SNOW TIRES IF IT'S YOUR GO-TO VEHICLE FOR THE WINTER AND SPARES WITH SNOW TIRES SHOULD BE FINE. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET SRT SPECIFIC SPARES AS THE HEMI SPARE WHEELS WILL NOT CLEAR THE FRONT CALIPERS. OTHERWISE YOU COULD GET FACTORY 20" POLISHED WHEELS FROM A HEMI OR MAYBE 20" SRT REPS FOR THE WINTER.

Questions:
- Besides swapping out the oil/PS lines for braided and regular band adjustments on the tranny, what else is really a common mechanical issue with these trucks? I’m not discovering much beyond this. THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT
- Does the truck come with a tranny cooler stock? NO
- Can the SRT-10 specific parts be sourced? I know from having a North Face Edition Avalanche, I can’t source seat covers, which is an issue as mine are split and they are very difficult for a shop to duplicate. YES, WHILE SOME PARTS ARE BEGINNING TO BECOME HARDER TO FIND, THERE ARE ONLY A FEW PARTS THAT ARE DISCONTINUED, BUT WE HAVE SUPPORT HERE FROM ALL OF OUR VENDORS AND MEMBERS WITH USED PARTS THAT I WOULDN'T LET THAT SWAY ME FROM PURCHASING ONE
- Do they come with Xenon/HID headlights? If not, are there good retrofit options? NO. RETROSHOP SEEMS TO DO GOOD WORK, OR ANY LOCAL SPEED SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO QUOTE YOU A PRICE.
- What is the deal with the spoiler/bed cover? I see some with and others without. What was supposed to come with the truck? SOME DID AND SOME DIDN'T IS THE SHORT ANSWER. YOU CAN BUY THEM USED FOR 1K TO 2K DEPENDING ON CONDITION, THEN OF COURSE PAINT
o I want the cover/spoiler – what is the real cost of buying these if not equipped?
- I can’t get a handle on REAL WORLD fuel mileage for the following:
o All freeway driving? Everyone seems to quote mixed/city, but I need a highway number BONE STOCK QC ON THE HIGHWAY SHOULD GET 13-14MPG
o Freeway towing? My boat, with the loaded up tower, is not exactly aerodynamic. FREEWAY TOWING WITHOUT CRUISE I WOULD GUESS 9-10MPG

I would keep the truck relatively stock. I would install a double DIN Nav unit for user, and perhaps sub/amp/speaker upgrade. Will also install a large tranny cooler if not equipped from the factory, as I’m positive this is what saved the 4L60E in my Avalanche, which has not been cared for and works like a champ. Understand I’m considering this truck due to the price – it simply depreciated more than the rest…same reason I bought my 335i, which was a great purchase.
SEE ABOVE ;)

Once you mention driving in the snow I couldnt recommend this truck to you anymore. In my opinion a Raptor would likely suit you better, it does and has everything you want, its just not a speed demon but it can move out of its way.

I see guys daily Raptors all the time and tow with them. They love them.

I agree. This truck is meant for speed. It's low to the floor, has no 4X4, and perhaps over kill on the amount of power you need v.s what you will actually be using it for. In other words, your MPG, insurance, and maintenance will be wasted on driving a Viper truck slow for the most part. This truck although beautiful and fun, is not for everyone.

There are a lot better trucks for hauling, and snow driving. Srt-10 is a sport truck that has plenty of power but less traction than it sounds you need.

SEE ABOVE ;)
Thanks for answering the questions. I assume a tranny cooler is a typical first mod on these trucks.

I'm amazed the cover is that much used. I would use that as a negotiating tool for sure if the truck was not equipped, as I need one (I'm too used to the covers on my Avalanche to go without them).

We have two German cars - I'm used to the laundry list of common issues.

In my opinion a Raptor would likely suit you better, it does and has everything you want, its just not a speed demon but it can move out of its way.
I'd love a Raptor. About 2x the price, beyond what I am willing to fork out.

I agree. This truck is meant for speed. It's low to the floor, has no 4X4, and perhaps over kill on the amount of power you need v.s what you will actually be using it for. In other words, your MPG, insurance, and maintenance will be wasted on driving a Viper truck slow for the most part. This truck although beautiful and fun, is not for everyone.
36 married, no tickets/accidents, 3 vehicles, house and rental property on the insurance = it won't cost that much to insure, especially since I'll run it as a low mileage vehicle. As answered above, doesn't seem like much maintenance at all. Being 2WD, no 4WD maintenance items (transfer case, front diff, half shafts, etc.). A couple extra cylinders to play with but there is nothing exotic about the motor. Overkill on power/MPG - but I'm in the frame of mind you can never have too much power...

There are a lot better trucks for hauling, and snow driving. Srt-10 is a sport truck that has plenty of power but less traction than it sounds you need.
My typical bed hauling is recycling (in bags), luggage, and the occasional project item (flooring and the like). Nothing that will push the payload capacity by any means...my current truck doesn't have a large capacity either.

Towing, I'd assume it would do fine. I've never used 4WD on any boat ramp with my Avalanche, which has an electric locker (that only functions in 4WD). My assumption is this would do better than what I currently have in 2WD, which works perfectly. I have a car hauler that gets rare use, but that setup isn't any heavier than the boat.

It seems all of the hang up is snow. We get some for sure, but the plows do a decent job. My wife gets around in an A4 on all-seasons (AWD of course). I could use my BMW, with RWD, 1-wheel peel (and BMW's stupid E-diff) + snow tires. Does anyone really think this with snow tires would be worse than my BMW? From a torque standpoint, they are pretty close (she's not stock and the N54 is a torque monster), with the car being 2000lbs lighter.

I get that a lot of people paid a pile of money for these trucks, garage them, baby them and wouldn't dare put them to daily or winter use. Fact is they have depreciated a ton and cost what the average truck of this vintage goes for. I love buying vehicles that depreciated heavily. Are they truly incapable of snow use or will snow tires + 500lbs in the bed get it done?

I wouldn't drive it in the snow....

I want you to buy a QC but my truck is squirrelly like hell in light rain let alone snow and ice.

They are not that bad in the snow. I drove two of mine in the snow and if you know what you're doing you will be fine.

Let's pump the exaggeration brakes. I'm just a normal guy with a passion for all things Viper.

So how do you explain your driving this beast with ease in snow and rain while towing huh Clark Kent??? :D

Oh great, another thread thatll have to be moved to offensive due to stroking...:joyman: haha

As Viperhauler has said, it's as capable as most other vehicles on the road in the snow. Having a limited slip makes it easy and fun!! I purposefully drove 100 miles north to Denton, Tx and Texas Motor Speedway to have fun in their parking lot when it snowed last year. Down I-35 which was ice covered and although it was slippery we travelers safely and without issue. Again, if you're a driver, and have experience in slick stuff it's no different than most vehicles. Our wide tire contact patch helps in these situations. :driver:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFKrE42AZw&sns=em[/ame]

As Viperhauler has said, it's as capable as most other vehicles on the road in the snow. Having a limited slip makes it easy and fun!! I purposefully drove 100 miles north to Denton, Tx and Texas Motor Speedway to have fun in their parking lot when it snowed last year. Down I-35 which was ice covered and although it was slippery we travelers safely and without issue. Again, if you're a driver, and have experience in slick stuff it's no different than most vehicles. Our wide tire contact patch helps in these situations. :driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFKrE42AZw&sns=em

I've heard of this snow stuff. What is it though? :hmmmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFKrE42AZw&sns=em

that's is not snow

that's is not snow

Exactly.

Playing around in a parking lot, and actually driving in significant snow is a whole different ballgame.

It snows enough, and you can take your limited slip and contact patch, and slip and slide right off the road.

To the OP, if you are planning on using an SRT-10 for the snow, you are making a mistake.

picture.php

I would not recommend driving in the snow......real snow. Right now ice/snow is packed 3" deep on my street. Not a place for a high HP, light in the ass-end vehicle. Can you do it? Yes. should you do it? No.:)

This pic is from several years ago, at our old house. I backed out of the garage to let the truck run and warm up.....no driving!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back