Need opionions on getting head machined!?

Ventura SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need advice on my engine repair. My coolant tube came off as I was driving causing my truck to over heat and cause a ticking noise.It ended up being the seat and guide under the valve that moved a fracion of a inch due to the over heating. The mechanic is telling me that the best thing to do is have 2 remained heads installed for $3,500 a piece so $7,000 just for parts(which I dont really want to spend that much money) or the cheaper fix is to have the problem side head machined and seat/guide repaired for $2,500 or $3,000 for both side's to be machined . Do you guys think the second option is a fair price for $2,500 and should I have both sides machined? Also would you guys recomend doing lifter and rocker replacement since he is in there? And why? Also is there any reputable machine shops in southern california that do quality work for a decent price?? please help, thanks!

They're trying to rape you! Hopefully some of the SO Cal guys will point you in a better direction.

That is a lot of $$$. You are getting into Striker money for that. Scott should be able to help you out, once he see's your post.:)

Aren't Strikers still in limbo? (As in not being made and may never be made again) Haven't heard anything on the next batch of Strikers being made yet.

I would call Todd at AC Performance or Dan Cragin at Specialty Performance and see what they can do. Your quote seems over priced.

I would call Todd at AC Performance or Dan Cragin at Specialty Performance and see what they can do. Your quote seems over priced.

I read this after your other post.....Are these the 2 viper mechanics you talked about in my other thread? and what area are they in?

Aren't Strikers still in limbo? (As in not being made and may never be made again) Haven't heard anything on the next batch of Strikers being made yet.

Strikers are still in limbo. But you never know when a used set might come available.

$2500 for a simple valve seat replacement is ridiculous. Find a good machine shop, they will do it for considerably less.

For 7k you can buy a whole damn engine.

Edit: or does the $2500 include all the labor to remove and install too? If it does then that's a different story, but still too high in my opinion.

I read this after your other post.....Are these the 2 viper mechanics you talked about in my other thread? and what area are they in?

Yes Todd and Dan are well respected and knowledgeable when it comes to Viper/Viper Trucks.

AC Performance is located in Murrieta and Specialy Performance Team is located in Alhambra. Google the name of the shops and it'll give you the contact info. It's worth calling them to see if they can help you.

$2500 for a simple valve seat replacement is ridiculous. Find a good machine shop, they will do it for considerably less.

For 7k you can buy a whole damn engine.

Edit: or does the $2500 include all the labor to remove and install too? If it does then that's a different story, but still too high in my opinion.

They said $2,000- $2,500 thats including labor to remove and install. When I hear estimates like that I always assume it will turn out to be the higher estimate.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back