Need Some Help

Srt10ram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys Im in the middle of changing the oil on my 2005 Dodge Ram Srt-10 and there is a bolt inside of the oil pan itself, it was slowing the drainage rate of the oil. I used a small magnet to get it to the edge of the hole, but it won't come out. Any ideas what its from or how it got there. Im a little worried here.

Oh Lord, your going to need to drop the oil pan

ViperJeff said:
Oh Lord, your going to need to drop the oil pan
Are you being serious, could the bolt be part of the magnectic system in the pan? I think I'm going to call the dealer.

Okay I just got off the phone with my local dealer and the guy says its just part of the magnetic system that collects trash and small foriegn objects??? I think its made to come semi out of the hole, but not fully? Whats your opinion ever heard of this? I've had no engine trouble, and haven't heard any odd sounds.

Last edited:
Srt10ram said:
Okay I just got off the phone with my local dealer and the guy says its just part of the magnetic system that collects trash and small foriegn objects??? I think its made to come semi out of the hole, but not fully? Whats your opinion ever heard of this? I've had no engine trouble, and haven't heard any odd sounds.
:eek: The only bolt shown in the manual inside the pan area is a 1/4 x20 that holds the oil pickup tube to the block everything else is a nut , a few that help hold the pickup tube (4) and the crankshaft scraper (6) :confused:

Last edited:
A "bolt" just bouncing around in the oil pan is scary to me I would drop it anyways to be sure might save you 10grand

wow! i would say that dealer doesn't want to "deal" with you. go somewhere else.

bigredv10 said:
A "bolt" just bouncing around in the oil pan is scary to me I would drop it anyways to be sure might save you 10grand
That requiers cutting out the front crossmember ,the welding it back in:( after taking a bunch of stuff loose and raising the engine, almost easier to pull the engine.

I honestly don't know of and never heard of a magnetic system that allows a metal part to be tossed around freely within the oil pan. Now that I'm reading what I'm writing, that's beginning to sound quite bizaar IMO. I agree with dropping the pan for a closer look. Do NOT rely soley on the dealership.

How many miles on your truck and are you still in warranty? And what mods do you have done? I only ask this because if your out of warranty and your mods are not to serious. I would call dodge corporate and ask them to look at it under " customer goodwill " .

Yeah somethin fishy about a bolt in your oil pan that you can just move about? Pan has to come off, and due to the hydroformed steel in our frames, cutting and welding is highly not recommended.:(

Wifey said:
That requiers cutting out the front crossmember ,the welding it back in:( after taking a bunch of stuff loose and raising the engine, almost easier to pull the engine.
The oil pan in the QC's can be removed pretty easy. No cuting of fram or almost lifting engine out. Simply unbolt the engine mounts, use a transmission jack and lift the engine about an inch or two, unbolt the pan. Now at this point you're gonna say "how do I get the pan out, because the oil pick up is blocking it". Easy, unbolt the oil pick and let it drop in the pan, now simply slide the pan out. It's that simple, ask me how I know. ;)

This cant be good,thats why I take mine to the dealership to get the oil changed,that way its there problem.

Srt10ram said:
There are no loose bolts that should be in there.

VENOMOUS1 said:
Yeah somethin fishy about a bolt in your oil pan that you can just move about? Pan has to come off, and due to the hydroformed steel in our frames, cutting and welding is highly not recommended.:(
The Factory book calls for cutting and welding :eek:

SANTEEN said:
The oil pan in the QC's can be removed pretty easy. No cuting of fram or almost lifting engine out. Simply unbolt the engine mounts, use a transmission jack and lift the engine about an inch or two, unbolt the pan. Now at this point you're gonna say "how do I get the pan out, because the oil pick up is blocking it". Easy, unbolt the oil pick and let it drop in the pan, now simply slide the pan out. It's that simple, ask me how I know. ;)
Kool , sounds like doing Jerry's Ford 460 , ask me how I know:D But is his an RC or QC :dontknow: :dontknow:

Oops looked it up....................2005 Ram SRT-10 Black RC

Last edited:
SANTEEN said:

exact same process for my cummins:p

DROP THE PAN all you need is a stupid bolt to destroy your motor. gaskets are cheap, engines are not....

noid said:
How many miles on your truck and are you still in warranty? And what mods do you have done? I only ask this because if your out of warranty and your mods are not to serious. I would call dodge corporate and ask them to look at it under " customer goodwill " .
5500 miles, the bolt doesn't seem free floating, it sits in the oil pan drain hole.

bigredv10 said:
Even if it is free floating could the motor suck it right up?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back