Need Some Help

Srt10ram said:
Okay I got an update on my truck. Its been at the dealership since 11am yesterday and the mechanics, have been able to cut the crossmember and yet the pan off. They found the bolt that was in the pan:rock: , and cannot figure out where or what it goes to:argh: . They've search the lower end and just don't know where its from... They called Chrysler and are waiting to hear back from them as for what to do...:dontknow:
Glad you are getting to the bottom of this fobar:congrats: Maybe someone at the factory just dropped it and did not take the time to find it, just put another one on:dontknow: :argh: :argh: :argh:

They found the bolt but dont know where it goes? And they cut the crossmember? And now they're calling chrysler to see where a bolt goes? :eek: And by the way, Did you piss anybody off lately? :dontknow: ;)

Just got another update on the truck and its a turn for the worse:mad: . The mechanics at the dealership are now saying they have found other "parts" in the oil pan. And they suspect its from the valves/valvetrain... This shit is unbelieveable. Maybe I got jipped when I bought this truck.:( Its already $900 dollars to tear the motor down. No telling how ****ing much to buy the parts. Could take ****ing weeks to get fixed. But atleast I bought factory extended warranty plan from the great bunch of guys at Chrysler.
:banghead:

Srt10ram said:
Just got another update on the truck and its a turn for the worse:mad: . The mechanics at the dealership are now saying they have found other "parts" in the oil pan. And they suspect its from the valves/valvetrain... This shit is unbelieveable. Maybe I got jipped when I bought this truck.:( Its already $900 dollars to tear the motor down. No telling how ****ing much to buy the parts. Could take ****ing weeks to get fixed. But atleast I bought factory extended warranty plan from the great bunch of guys at Chrysler.
:banghead:
Damn dude, I'm sorry!! Hopefully it get's better for you!

The mechanic actually said it was a Valve Girdle or atleast a part of it in the oil pan... I'm guessing he ment the Valve Lifter Guide, cause I've never heard of a Valve Girdle.
http://https://www.dodgetruckparts.net/dodge-ram-1500-parts.html
Under 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Engine - Cylinder head & Valves - Valve Lift Guide. #18 in Illustration.

Last edited:
TREKER said:
Will this be covered by the warranty?
I don't know yet. They are going tear the motor down to check for abuse or harsh driving. I highly doubt they will find any signs. It has 5500 miles. I rarely ever take it above 5000-5250 Rpm. The only bad thing is that I have Catless Mids & Magnaflow Cat-back installed. Although I don't know what the previous owner did to it I don't think he abused it either in the 3800 miles he drove it. Its crazy I haven't heard any odd noises or felt anything with all the shit falling off my motor.

About the same size bolt:(

Attachments

• VALVE TAPPET GUIDES 002.jpg
    VALVE TAPPET GUIDES 002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • VALVE TAPPET GUIDES 004.jpg
    VALVE TAPPET GUIDES 004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Wifey said:
About the same size bolt:(
If it is the bolt, what other possible damages could I have to my motor? Could the air/fuel mixture of the cylinders missing the bolt be affected, and cause piston/rod damage?:mad: :( :confused: :argh:

Alright I got some more news, the mechanics firgured out what exactly broke and whats in the oil pan. The bolt that was found holds the Valve Lifter Guide inplace. The other bits of metal in the oil pan are small fragments of the Guid itself, which is broken and needs to be replaced. The service manager said the cause was either a faulty part or was broken due to high rpm. Although I don't know how many times the previous owner redlined in his 3000 miles driving it, I only have done it 2-3 times in my 1500 miles. The dealership said they are having a Chrysler engineer come out to look over the truck. The guy said he will look at the trucks computer for signs of redlining.
Do you guys know if the computer in the truck records every time you go WOT or redline (Do SRT10s have BLACK BOXES)? And also would it take a lot of redlining/harsh driving for Chrysler to try and pin this shit on me?

Please I need your help....:(

Last edited:
Your engine has a rev limiter for a reason. And your motor was made for performance. So reving the motor excuse is bs in my opinion. When I did the srt experiance. They told you not to worry about over reving. That's what rev limiters were for. Stand firm and strong.

If you did not peg out at 6k then dont sweet it. And no the exhaust has nothing to do with it. More than likely faulty assembly. Just dont let these guys push you around, the mileage alone says that it isnt driven everyday. Also ask them to show you what they where doing. It is kinda of odd that that did not destroy your motor. Ask them to make sure it is not the cam gear bolt like Sanchoba said in post #70 and print it out so they at least think you know more about your vehicle.

Strange, the dealer was allowed to tear it down, without sending the entire engine and PCM to Arrow Racing for diagnosis and repair. My local dealer's Viper Tech told me they were not allowed to touch the internals -- all had to be shipped back to Arrow.

You may want to stop by your dealer and take a first hand look at what they are doing and if possible snap off some photos. I would also contact Todd at Arrow Racing and consult with him on the problem and what the dealer found, photos may help here too. And for $hits and grins, advise Arrow about the dealer disassembling the engine and see what their response may be...

Also, looking through the 05 service manual, I couldn't find any references to the PCM having the ability to store engine performance, sensor input signals or PCM output signals, with the exception of fault codes and their data (check engine, OBD 2). I do know some vehicles have a separate device that can store data in the event of an accident or air bag deployment -- not sure if the 05 10's integrate this monitoring feature.

I wish you all the luck with the repairs and hope you get your truck back soon and in better than new condition.

Last edited:
Bump

Srt10ram said:
Alright I got some more news, the mechanics firgured out what exactly broke and whats in the oil pan. The bolt that was found holds the Valve Lifter Guide inplace. The other bits of metal in the oil pan are small fragments of the Guid itself, which is broken and needs to be replaced. The service manager said the cause was either a faulty part or was broken due to high rpm. Although I don't know how many times the previous owner redlined in his 3000 miles driving it, I only have done it 2-3 times in my 1500 miles. The dealership said they are having a Chrysler engineer come out to look over the truck. The guy said he will look at the trucks computer for signs of redlining.
Do you guys know if the computer in the truck records every time you go WOT or redline (Do SRT10s have BLACK BOXES)? And also would it take a lot of redlining/harsh driving for Chrysler to try and pin this shit on me?

Please I need your help....:(
Any news yet???????

I'm guessing defective part. Hope the warranty covers it. if not, what DOES it cover? These trucks were made to beat! So thats no excuse to not cover it under warranty. now if it had a roll bar and 5 point harnesses and all that, ok, race car, voided warranty, exhaust isn't going to cause this problem. Sounds like it should have been running funny though...

Okay another update, great news the valve spring girdle or WTF it was, was replaced with a brand new peice. All the labor and parts were a total of 100$ to me, the Warranty coverd everything. The mechanics suspected that one of the bolts which hold the girdle in place, backed out because of undertightening at the factory.

Everything is great I've had the truck for a week or so now, and its back to normal.

Thanks for your consideration and help, I was extremely worried, but am very happy and relieved now.
Thanks

You need to go buy a lottery ticket. Because for those parts to fail and harmlessly fall into the pan is a small miracle. You are one lucky man.

Alberta-SRT said:
You need to go buy a lottery ticket. Because for those parts to fail and harmlessly fall into the pan is a small miracle. You are one lucky man.

Agreed, thats crazy that it made it to the pan and didn't damage anything else on the way. Very easily could have taken pistons, rods, bearings, everything...

I had my oil pan off before i left the states in February, and its been driving me nuts because i can't remember if i put the bolt back in that secures the pick up tube to the front engine cover. Well after reading this story, that pan is coming back off with out a doubt now! Hasn't been run since i put the pan on, should be able to save the gasket.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back