Need Some Help

DevilDawg3097 said:
It is the bolt that holds the pick up tube wifey is right. Heres some pics of my build.http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32945. If you have a shop with a bore scope have them drop the oil and poke it in the and check. If it isnt from the pick up then you may have other problems because the are no magnets or bolts in the oil pan.

yep, what he said:rock: :rock: :rock:

Srt10ram said:
If I do drill it out, use a magnet to retrieve the POS, and put the thread saver in. Could I expect more problems after that, and would I eventually need to drop the pan and install a new bolt?

I got a good question how the hell did the bolt get loose anyway, and if its been loose in the pan for all these miles, why hasn't anything happened?

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Got lucky?
May not have been tightened at the factory like the harmonic balancer:dontknow: But if you can scope it you will know for sure.

Other than that there are the 3 0r 4 nuts attached to the main caps that hold it in place, the bolt goes in where the pickup tube enters the block, has a seal, only thing it might do is drop a small amout of oil pressure if there is leakage around that area, but it seems you have had no trouble with the oil pressure yet. :dontknow:

Srt10ram said:
If I do drill it out, use a magnet to retrieve the POS, and put the thread saver in. Could I expect more problems after that, and would I eventually need to drop the pan and install a new bolt?

I got a good question how the hell did the bolt get loose anyway, and if its been loose in the pan for all these miles, why hasn't anything happened?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Question1: That would be a Temp fix it would work but for how long...

Question2: bolts fly off these trucks like votes do in florida, how do you know it didn't come off the last 10 miles?

If you do drill it make sure you have it bored and checked out so you know for sure its the pickup tube if its not then tear it down

Okay, I'm probably going to take it in to a shop in the near future, even if the shop is within 10-30 miles, would you guys recommend even driving it that far with this bolt in the pan. Or just get a towing service to pick it up and drop it off?
This is a big shithole I've never heard of anyone else with this type of problem:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Srt10ram said:
Okay, I'm probably going to take it in to a shop in the near future, even if the shop is within 10-30 miles, would you guys recommend even driving it that far with this bolt in the pan. Or just get a towing service to pick it up and drop it off?
This is a big shithole I've never heard of anyone else with this type of problem:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I would tow it .............been lucky so far, why push your luck.........got AAA

Hope all turns out well for you and if it helps ,we have seen this before in small block chevy's , but the oil pump falls off :eek:

let me rephrase this...in my own words...

if you drive anything, with chunks of anything in the oil pan, then it has the possibility of being being hit by a rod or crank, or whatever else is rotating in there....

it's not smart, bro....even i wouldn't do that...and that says a lot... ;)

for the few hours it's gonna take you to find out where that bolt came from, and either take it out or put it back wherever it's supposed to be, cuz let's face it, bolts are usually there for a reason....that's the bottom line...IMO...

but a 9 cent bolt sure as hell isn't gonna cost me 9 grand to fix my motor, i assure you that...;)

Wifey said:
I would tow it .............been lucky so far, why push your luck.........got AAA

Hope all turns out well for you and if it helps ,we have seen this before in small block chevy's , but the oil pump falls off :eek:
Thanks
If anyone has changed the oil and it's drained slow, this is the reason why. So be on the look out when you change your oil. There could be a loose bolt in the pan and could just be sitting right at the drainage hole.

If it is a bolt from the pickup tube (rather than a nut), then it is the one that holds the tube in place where it goes into the oil pump. The bolt is marked as item #1 in the picture below. If the tube were to become loose at that point, the oil pump could suck in air and start pumping frothy oil to the bearings. Your main bearing and rod bearings would wear very quickly.

Plus, like everyone else has been saying, if that bolt gets kicked up by the spinning crank, it will likely cause some catastrophic damage to other parts of the engine such as the cam shaft, or the underside of the pistons, etc.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 34
WOT said:
If it is a bolt from the pickup tube (rather than a nut), then it is the one that holds the tube in place where it goes into the oil pump. The bolt is marked as item #1 in the picture below. If the tube were to become loose at that point, the oil pump could suck in air and start pumping frothy oil to the bearings. Your main bearing and rod bearings would wear very quickly.

Plus, like everyone else has been saying, if that bolt gets kicked up by the spinning crank, it will likely cause some catastrophic damage to other parts of the engine such as the cam shaft, or the underside of the pistons, etc.
You are soooooo right :( forgot the sucking air part):eek:

Srt10ram said:

don't get discouraged bro, random shit happens...and least you didnt have a wrist pin go out like my diesel, talk about a 9 cent/9 grand story...(shitty oil filter)

Okay guys, I'm taking it in to the dealer today. I talked to the Service Manager, and he is thinking the same thing. They are going to pull thhe motor and remove the pan.I'm trying to get a tow service to come pick it up, but I don't think the bumper will clear the flat bed's angle. The guy says he is bringing wheel cradles, so I'm praying it will...:banghead::confused: The only problem is that its parked in a way that the flat bed cannot retreive it, I must start it to move it a few feet where it can be put on the truck...

Pretty easy to remove the front skirt. Tow drivers are pretty good retrieving vehicles.

Don't start that Fu*kin' thing, it isnt worth what could happen...if you have to, get some people to help push it out so the tow can get at it...

FastSRT19 said:
Don't start that Fu*kin' thing, it isnt worth what could happen...if you have to, get some people to help push it out so the tow can get at it...
I didn't have to start it, the tow drive and I were able to move it in to position fairly easily , its now on the truck on the way to the delearship which is 10-20 miles away.:dong:
I hope everything keeps going good from here on out...
I'm trying to think how long this is going to take for them to remove the pan reinstall the bolt and get the truck running again...:dontknow:
2-3 Days?? Anyone have an idea?

Srt10ram said:
I didn't have to start it, the tow drive and I were able to move it in to position fairly easily , its now on the truck on the way to the delearship which is 10-20 miles away.:dong:
I hope everything keeps going good from here on out...
I'm trying to think how long this is going to take for them to remove the pan reinstall the bolt and get the truck running again...:dontknow:
2-3 Days?? Anyone have an idea?
knowing dealerships, your prob looking at two weeks realistically bud:argh:

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
knowing dealerships, your prob looking at two weeks realistically bud:argh:
Wow, this really sucks, but atleast its not my DD. Hopefully this will turn out to be a bolt for the Oil Pickup tube, that recently fell, and caused no damage what so ever; and gets reinstalled with no problems. I'll update yall on what I know in the following days or weeks, or months. . . . .

Dang I wish I saw this thread before you sent it to the stealership. I cannot explain why, but in the days of past on Chevy Small and Big Blocks the damn oil pickup tube was held on my maybe one bolt if not two! Either way we would tack weld the bitch to the block as well as the pickup tube to the pump since it was a press fit. Numerous buddies that race had issues with the bolt backing off and falling into the pan. Oil pressure would be fine until you were at the end of the track and made the return to come back to pit. Guys would say " my oil pressure dropped after the run when I made the return road." It got to the point where we could laugh about it when it happened to other friends because we knew exactly what happened. When either the bolt or pick up tube comes loose on those motors it will literally swing when you make a turn, exposing the pickup to air and oil pressure instantly drop. This has happened too many times for me to count in my youg age. Needless to say it's practice now to tack the bolt and tack the pickup to the pump. Maybe high rpm vibration did the same to your 10.

Since you changed your own oil I would have recommended draining the oil, and getting a cheap scope from a plumber, Harbor Freight or Sears for minimum price to see yourself through the drain hole. Those pencil LED lights work great as well. You can't make the reapir that way, but at least know what the problem is and where in sam hell the bolt came from.

Best of luck bud!:D

VENOMOUS1 said:
Dang I wish I saw this thread before you sent it to the stealership. I cannot explain why, but in the days of past on Chevy Small and Big Blocks the damn oil pickup tube was held on my maybe one bolt if not two! Either way we would tack weld the bitch to the block as well as the pickup tube to the pump since it was a press fit. Numerous buddies that race had issues with the bolt backing off and falling into the pan. Oil pressure would be fine until you were at the end of the track and made the return to come back to pit. Guys would say " my oil pressure dropped after the run when I made the return road." It got to the point where we could laugh about it when it happened to other friends because we knew exactly what happened. When either the bolt or pick up tube comes loose on those motors it will literally swing when you make a turn, exposing the pickup to air and oil pressure instantly drop. This has happened too many times for me to count in my youg age. Needless to say it's practice now to tack the bolt and tack the pickup to the pump. Maybe high rpm vibration did the same to your 10.

Since you changed your own oil I would have recommended draining the oil, and getting a cheap scope from a plumber, Harbor Freight or Sears for minimum price to see yourself through the drain hole. Those pencil LED lights work great as well. You can't make the reapir that way, but at least know what the problem is and where in sam hell the bolt came from.

Best of luck bud!:D
Thanks, I am almost positive now from all the feedback from you guys, it's the bolt which holds the tube inplace. It matches the size, length, and thread of the bolt. Thanks I wouldn't no shit if it wasn't for yall...

Okay I got an update on my truck. Its been at the dealership since 11am yesterday and the mechanics, have been able to cut the crossmember and yet the pan off. They found the bolt that was in the pan:rock: , and cannot figure out where or what it goes to:argh: . They've search the lower end and just don't know where its from... They called Chrysler and are waiting to hear back from them as for what to do...:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back