Need Some Help

Srt10ram said:
Even if it is free floating could the motor suck it right up?
it doesnt need to "suck it up" hit a pot whole and bounce it into a rod or crank, maybe even hit the piston head and crack it or anything, ya dont cheap out!! pull the pan, nothing loose should be in there, if it was a debris magnet, you wouldnt be able to move it or it would be flat, like in some tranny pans, sounds like a bolt fell out

Any issues with the oil pressure before you changed the oil? If its from the pickup, you should have noticed the oil pressure bounce some on tight turns, etc.

The only other option to taking out the pan is cutting the pan (not sure why most pans are not two piece) and then having it welded. That would be fine if you knew why the bolt is there and that it was not needed, but if its not from the pickup then you have a mystery I am sure you want an answer to before you find out the hard way.

viperhauler said:
i wonder if it's not a bolt from one of the main caps?????????

if i had a bolt floating around my oil pan...i can tell you it wouldn't be there for long;)
Im now panicing, I figured the dealer would know what is correct, but now that everyone on here is thinking the same, Im worrying. I just can't see why an ***hole at the dealer would tell me some bull****, that could damage my truck. I also haven't noticed any leaks, oil pressure changes. I ended up putting the oil in and started it up, it ran normal, but now I'm thinking i should bring it somewhere to be checked.

I had to cut out the cross member to get the pan down onmy QC. I jacked the engine up till the bell housing was touching the firewall and it wouldnt come out. Maybe I didn,t hold my mouth right :dontknow:

McLuvin said:
I had to cut out the cross member to get the pan down onmy QC. I jacked the engine up till the bell housing was touching the firewall and it wouldnt come out. Maybe I didn,t hold my mouth right :dontknow:
Yiou didn't think with your dipstick. Think about it. What was stopping you from remove the pan? The oil pick-up, corrcet? Once you remove the pan bolts, it will drop a couple inches and fall onto the crossmember. That gives you enough room to unbolt the pick up from the bottom of the engine. It will then fall into the pan and you can slide the pan out with a little massaging.

Srt10ram said:
Im now panicing, I figured the dealer would know what is correct, but now that everyone on here is thinking the same, Im worrying. I just can't see why an ***hole at the dealer would tell me some bull****, that could damage my truck. I also haven't noticed any leaks, oil pressure changes. I ended up putting the oil in and started it up, it ran normal, but now I'm thinking i should bring it somewhere to be checked.

How big ( approx. is the bolt in question?) If it is from the oil tube pickup the pickup is stll held by 3 or 4 nuts ( the bolt would be 1/4 " in diam.) and would just about fit though the drain hole...........almost (except the bolt head) I doubt a main cap bolt would even fit in the drain hole.

Attachments

• IMG_4839.jpg
    IMG_4839.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Wifey said:
How big ( approx. is the bolt in question?) If it is from the oil tube pickup the pickup is stll held by 3 or 4 nuts ( the bolt would be 1/4 " in diam.) and would just about fit though the drain hole...........almost (except the bolt head) I doubt a main cap bolt would even fit in the drain hole.
The bolt is just about 1/4 inch if I remember correctly, and it just about was long enough to reach the edge of the drain hole. I think the head of it was stopping it from coming out.

It is the bolt that holds the pick up tube wifey is right. Heres some pics of my build.http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32945. If you have a shop with a bore scope have them drop the oil and poke it in the and check. If it isnt from the pick up then you may have other problems because the are no magnets or bolts in the oil pan.

DevilDawg3097 said:
It is the bolt that holds the pick up tube wifey is right. Heres some pics of my build.http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32945. If you have a shop with a bore scope have them drop the oil and poke it in the and check. If it isnt from the pick up then you may have other problems because the are no magnets or bolts in the oil pan.
I'll try that, I might have one at work and I'll try that out. If it is from the pick up, is it fine being in there?

Srt10ram said:
I'll try that, I might have one at work and I'll try that out. If it is from the pick up, is it fine being in there?
In all honesty I being a mechanic could not say yes.But I do have a thought, the dealer you called is that where you got the truck? Reason being, if they had the pan off before at anytime, im willing to bet it might be a pan bolt if the pick tube bolt is still there. That maybe why they see no problem in it. I know I put the pan bolts in the pan to make sure not to loose them but I also make sure there all out when I put the pan back on. Just a thought.

Srt10ram said:

NOOO its not! It has to be removed and corrected. ASAP If it where me I wouldn't even start the thing

DevilDawg3097 said:
In all honesty I being a mechanic could not say yes.But I do have a thought, the dealer you called is that where you got the truck? Reason being, if they had the pan off before at anytime, im willing to bet it might be a pan bolt if the pick tube bolt is still there. That maybe why they see no problem in it. I know I put the pan bolts in the pan to make sure not to loose them but I also make sure there all out when I put the pan back on. Just a thought.
No it's not the delear, I bought the truck around 1/2 year ago from a owner that put 3800 miles on it, I'll have to check, but I think it only went through 1-2 oil changes, and they were both at a dealership. I'm just trying to figure if it's from the pickup system, it can't hurt anything.:dontknow: :dontknow:

You need to get it out of there, you don't want it there, look how shallow the front of the pan is, it could definitely cause you issues.

Anyone know if he scopes it and it turns out to be from the pickup, could he drill out the drain hole and then re-tap for a larger drain bolt?

Srt10ram said:
The bolt is just about 1/4 inch if I remember correctly, and it just about was long enough to reach the edge of the drain hole. I think the head of it was stopping it from coming out.
That meets the size of the one bolt in the oil pan area:( could drill the drain hole and install a thread saver after it is out and just watch your oil pressure guage real close ( there are 3 or 4 nuts holding the pickup tube besides the one bolt.
http://www.allfasteners.com/Keyserts_c_41.html
http://www.timesert.com/

There should be nothing in your oil pan except OIL plan and simple
If that bolt touches anything at 6krpm your done for

Wifey said:
That meets the size of the one bolt in the oil pan area:( could drill the drain hole and install a thread saver after it is out and just watch your oil pressure guage real close ( there are 3 or 4 nuts holding the pickup tube besides the one bolt.
http://www.allfasteners.com/Keyserts_c_41.html
http://www.timesert.com/
If I do drill it out, use a magnet to retrieve the POS, and put the thread saver in. Could I expect more problems after that, and would I eventually need to drop the pan and install a new bolt?

I got a good question how the hell did the bolt get loose anyway, and if its been loose in the pan for all these miles, why hasn't anything happened?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back