Need some help

HDGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of some answers. I have a 2006 RC with 6500 miles on it. I've owned since new. I have a JMB cold air intake, BBK Throttle Body, and Belanger Long Tubes with High Flow Cats. I live in an area the requires state e-checks. My truck has always passed with flying colors...never any issues. I had the Takata Recalls done and now the truck will not pass e-check. I'm told the catalyst monitor and evap monitor are incomplete. I have put 500 plus miles on the truck with no results. I have also mysteriously lost satellite radio. I've had it back to the dealer and they tell me I need new cats. OBVIOUSLY that is not correct, I have no codes and no CEL's. Should I have the dealer reflash the computer? Has anybody else had this? Is there something I'm missing? Unfortunately I have to figure this out on my own so I can tell the dealer what needs to be done. HELP...

who tuned the truck? They may have disabled the rear O2 sensors and the state is picking up on that and failing you. Not sure about the evap issue although there seem to be a lot of posts about problems with the evap setup.

How does your state do your emssions? Im curious how you failed if you have no CEL. In GA for newer cars after 96 they just hook it up to the machine and look for codes. If you have no codes you pass. You can have 1 not ready, but the CEL cannot be on. They are suppose to look under your vehicle to see if you have cats, but ive only had guy do that and I dont use him anymore. Everybody doesnt even look under your car so you could be catless but as long as your not throwing any codes you pass.

I'm in need of some answers. I have a 2006 RC with 6500 miles on it. I've owned since new. I have a JMB cold air intake, BBK Throttle Body, and Belanger Long Tubes with High Flow Cats. I live in an area the requires state e-checks. My truck has always passed with flying colors...never any issues. I had the Takata Recalls done and now the truck will not pass e-check. I'm told the catalyst monitor and evap monitor are incomplete. I have put 500 plus miles on the truck with no results. I have also mysteriously lost satellite radio. I've had it back to the dealer and they tell me I need new cats. OBVIOUSLY that is not correct, I have no codes and no CEL's. Should I have the dealer reflash the computer? Has anybody else had this? Is there something I'm missing? Unfortunately I have to figure this out on my own so I can tell the dealer what needs to be done. HELP...

Also if your evap system was incomplete it would throw a code after a while. There is no getting out of the evap system on these trucks they either work or dont and you have a code.

There is no "Tune" on the truck, it is bone stock. As far as the other comments...I said the catalyst monitor and Evap monitor are incomplete. Rest assured there are no codes and no check engine lights. The Viper tech told me to drive it one or two thousand miles. I don't buy it since 5 of the 7 monitors reset within 10 miles of driving. and the truck only has 6500 miles on it. I'm hoping somebody can give me more info on this Takata recall and what exactly they flash the computer with. All of these problems started after the recall. I'm sure its a computer issue, but if reflashing doesn't fix it I need to be able to lead people down the right path.

There is no flash done to the computer with the airbag recall.

Sell me the truck so you don't have to deal with the problems anymore! :D

Need to drive your truck more to see if the other 2 lights will go ready.

I do recall somebody else on this forum having problems with their truck not going ready and I think it actually ended up being his PCM. Something was wrong with it and he had to get another one since it would never go ready.

Disconnect your battery leads, touch them together for at least 15 seconds and reconnect. Let us know if that helps.

you can force run the Evap monitor test. Take it do your dealer and ask that the force run the Evap test

Most likely, the dealer disconnected your battery for the recall airbag replacement. That is why you have evap flags still up...

Before you start the process (If you choose to not visit the dealer)

Your going to have to have at least 5 stone cold starts w/ drive cycles. On your stone cold starts, turn on everything during warm up. Lights, fan, a/c or defrost (for you, set temp. to full warm so you don't freeze...LOL) etc. This allows the system to test the O2 heating circuit.

Be sure to have between 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel!! A MUST.

Drive cycles should have steady state throttle at 55 mph and a full 4th or 3rd gear deceleration from freeway speed all the way down to 20 m.p.h. or less. (do not break, depress the clutch or touch throttle) This keeps the injectors OFF until close to idle.

I was able to get my evap to become ready going through this process. About a total of 60 miles or so combined.

Good Luck.

Helpful Thread....

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/emissions-am-i-screwed-61260/

Thanks for all of the input! I have logged over 700 miles, cold starts, ac running, defrost, and everything else. The EVAP has reset along with one bank of O2 sensors...hopefully bank 2 is not far behind! Will keep you posted!

Okay, unfortunately, both banks of O2 sensors are back to not reading correct. It goes to the dealership tomorrow! I'm going to tell them not to call me until it's fixed and ready for an e-check!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back