Neighbors Wanted A Smoke Show!!!

Hey Ronnie, seriously... when you that type of a BO is alot of that smoke from the brakes?:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

nycstev said:
Hey Ronnie, seriously... when you that type of a BO is alot of that smoke from the brakes?:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

It's also hard on the rotors as you are dumping a lot of heat into them.

nycstev said:
http://www.need-4-speed.com/pst.htm Go carbon!
For a given material, and given outer dimensions, the maximum strength is achieved if the rod is solid (not hollow), but this also takes a lot of weight.

For a given material, and given weight, the maximum strength is achieved by a hollow cylinder, that is of larger diameter than the solid rod of that weight.

Most of the strength of a cylinder comes from the outer portions. I think the contribution goes like the cube of the radial position. So, if you took a solid rod and drilled out a half the volume from the center, you do not lose half the strength. You only lose about 10% of the strength, but you've saved on half the weight.

So, strength to weight ratio is better for a hollow pipe than a solid rod.

I knew there was something to this just could not remember. So if you have a 2 Drive shafts same LENGTH WIEGHT AND MATERIAL the hollow will be stronger ( but with > Dia)
SImilarly 2 Drive Shfts same LENGHT DIAMETER AND MATERIAL the solid will be stronger but also alot heavier and like SILVERBACK pointed out will have different rotational properties with slight increase in stregnt but aSL more weight.
So essentially everyone is right here.

You got it. Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing it up tonight.:rock:

nycstev said:
Not sure about that one! I have been doing that though with various vehicles and I havent had any problems. That's not to say that it isnt hard on them. I'm not sure. I would be willing to bet someone will chime in shortly with an answer to that.:D :burnout:

Rockin Ronnie said:
Yep that's what Drivelines NW says also. For my Willys with a 350hp Corvette motor in it, it doesnt care how much the driveline ways.:D :burnout:

In a jeep, you are correct. You are not going that fast, nor it the drive shaft spinning that quickly.

Since you tend to go quickly at times, I would seriously warn you against going with a solid drive shafts in you truck. If anything happened like a u-joint failed (and they would be under a considerably higher load) that solid shaft would literaly tear the truck apart.

Here is some quick numbers for some material spec's I have on hand.

This would be the weights for a 2.00 inch round by 6 foot shaft.
Aluminum 2.00 x .125 wall = 5.22 pounds
Aluminum 2.00 solid shaft = 22.15 pounds
Steel 2.00 solid shaft = 66.09 pounds

If memory serves me correctly we have a 5.00 diameter drive shaft in our trucks. If that was made of solid steel it would weight 400.56 pounds. Not what I would want spinning around under me.

Silverback said:
In a jeep, you are correct. You are not going that fast, nor it the drive shaft spinning that quickly.

Since you tend to go quickly at times, I would seriously warn you against going with a solid drive shafts in you truck. If anything happened like a u-joint failed (and they would be under a considerably higher load) that solid shaft would literaly tear the truck apart.

Here is some quick numbers for some material spec's I have on hand.

This would be the weights for a 2.00 inch round by 6 foot shaft.
Aluminum 2.00 x .125 wall = 5.22 pounds
Aluminum 2.00 solid shaft = 22.15 pounds
Steel 2.00 solid shaft = 66.09 pounds

If memory serves me correctly we have a 5.00 diameter drive shaft in our trucks. If that was made of solid steel it would weight 400.56 pounds. Not what I would want spinning around under me.
Jeezuz Ape Face you some kind of professor!!!!Hahahahahahaaha!!!! Yeah I wouldnt do that to the truck because it's a whole different beast but the Jeep is more of a tork to weight problem so that's why we finally went solid.
Thanks for the info though Banana Breath!!!!!!

Rockin Ronnie said:
Jeezuz Ape Face you some kind of professor!!!!Hahahahahahaaha!!!! Yeah I wouldnt do that to the truck because it's a whole different beast but the Jeep is more of a tork to weight problem so that's why we finally went solid.
Thanks for the info though Banana Breath!!!!!!

I'm not sure I like that "professor" reference...he is bright, cantankerous, and often profane...but professorial...I have to draw the line somewhere...and I think between species is a good starting point.

Prof said:
I'm not sure I like that "professor" reference...he is bright, cantankerous, and often profane...but professorial...I have to draw the line somewhere...and I think between species is a good starting point.

Got to agree. We only have one "Professor" here to my knowledge.:rock:

Oh for heavens sake!! Sorry Prof! Yes we only have one Prof but with the formula's that Ape face put up I was thinkin maybe he was vying for your postion!!!!Haahahaahahahahahaha!!!!:D

Exactly that's why we own these trucks!! If you loose the fun factor time to sell it and by a minivan, like silverbacks!!!!!!muhahahahahahahahaha!!!:D

Silverback said:
You got it. Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing it up tonight.:rock:
No thank you for allowing me to exercise my brain... BTW Silverback have you ever been to SKULL ISLAND?? :D :D :D :D

Rockin Ronnie said:
Oh for heavens sake!! Sorry Prof! Yes we only have one Prof but with the formula's that Ape face put up I was thinkin maybe he was vying for your postion!!!!Haahahaahahahahahaha!!!!:D

Apes need to know their place. Apology accepted...no more detention, you can go back to smoking in the boys bathroom and your campus drinking privilege is restored.

Prof said:
Apes need to know their place. Apology accepted...no more detention, you can go back to smoking in the boys bathroom and your campus drinking privilege is restored.
YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!BABY!!!!!! Smokin in the boys room yeah smokin in the boys room teacher don't you tell me all of the rules!!!!!!:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back