Obviously i am no mechanic:????

jeffgilliam.2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does everyone recommend if i want to put a paxton on my r/c, As far as other mods needed to handle the hair dryer underneath the hood..Any advice willl go far....Thanks!!!!

Welcome Jeff. Its always a great idea to look at others mods whom already have a paxton. To start with I would get a catback, Centerforce clutch, viper master and slave unit and a VEC............then start condsidering traction issues.....JMB and Caltracs.

patrick

At a minimum upgraded pistons (this is a MUST). While you do that might as well upgrade the rods, thats what I would do if I could do it over again (already upgraded pistons).

Not necessarily. You need to talk with Nowwhat, Prof, NBT, Marc T and possibly VPRPWR. They all have FI. Lots of people have just bolted it on.......just depends on the amount of boost and tune.

patrick

KABOOM internally. Heck, it could let go on the dyno when you tune it. The pistons WILL NOT handle 8psi of boost. Trust me and others when we say upgrade the pistons. Spend 1-2K on pistons vs 7-8K to find another used motor.

Forced Induction.

Who will be installing and tuning your hair dryer(s)? Theres only a handfull of tuners who can do it properly. Bad tune equals blown motor!!

I have yet to find anyone around me, more than likely i will have to travel to drop it off...i ask though because it is getting close to doing something...

Jeff, a lot of us are not super wrenches...but those of us who have been successful with boosted engines either are very mechanically inclined or we have selected a super installer and tuner...it is not rocket science until you want to get into the tens or below...a nice mild, but street quick machine is very possible. Living in Arkansas you are not too far from X-metal, in Evansville. Call Gary Virgin (boomer) and talk about what you want to achieve...he will get you right where you want to go...but be careful...he has soooo much beautiful stuff you might get sidetracked!

You could also call Joe from Performance by Joe in Saint Louis. He tuned my truck and got some safe killer power numbers. He also did Tims (ViperTruck2933) heads and cam package. You could also find a few Viper specific tuners in Florida.

currently i am not interested at all about achieving 10's or even 11's, what really started all of this was after i rode in a mustang saleen that had a s/c on it i immediately fell in love with the whine.....If taken to any of these places what is a round about guess for return time??

If you like the whine you'll need a Roe supercharger. You wont hear it much with the Paxton. Roe is located in Florida. Couldnt tell you what their turnaround time is.

You could also run the Roe with stock internals if you keep it at 5psi or less.

Jeff if you can use a wrench adn remove plugs and such you can do most of the install on a paxton.

jsut take a few hours and read the disctructions, over and over, and make sure positively sure you can do it, then set aside 1 week to complete the install.

and if ya have any questions jsut post up a pic of the area and a question and one of us should be able to help.

and when its time to tune,I personally suggest trailoring it up to the tuner, but from what i understand the tune they give is pretty rich.

but being in arkansas you could see Joe or boomer for tuning.

then again you could consider the roe supercharger, ten times easier install

Well i thought about doing it myself until i got to the part for tapping oil pans and stuff then i got scared. Will the roe give the performance just as much as the paxton will if i decide to further the hp...???

Jeff I will get my balls busted here but stock with both you should get 625rwhp from both on a stock motor.

go further you ask for problems.

with a built bottom end, the most you could safely acheive is 750ish rwhp to around 800hp. anything much over that and you runinto big problems, from this to that.

so either one should do you a super job and eventually you could ackeive 700hp safely or in the area without going internal. and even possibly drop a 100 shot of nos on top of that.

The Roe has been pushed a ways up, but in my opinion if you want to move beyond 700 rwhp, you are better off with a Paxon or Twin Turbos...

The Roe can probably be pushed to 12 or 13 lbs of boost...but you will certainly need forged rods, pistons, probably striker heads also. I run 5.6 on my Roe and most are running about 5.

With 5+ lbs of boost, I have spent nearly $5000 to get that power to the track, and am still looking for more solutions...I will be at X-Metal in Evansville on the 4th and 5th of June looking for traction, if you want to stop by.

Roy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back