Oil Cavitation IS an Issue

mr. anderson said:
everything but the ammount of zinc. with the new format of oils, they had cut the zinc levels so the cats would last over 150K miles vice the 100K miles of the old regulations

You are correct it is zinc, and it is still used in M/C

oils in quantity.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

What is memory, the third thing to go?:eek:

you know as i sit here and read this whole thread.. it kinda scares me about having my motor built until this problem is resolved

Tooloe said:
you know as i sit here and read this whole thread.. it kinda scares me about having my motor built until this problem is resolved

You sir, are not the only one worried.:eek:

Tooloe said:

The problem is not new...it is becoming more and more evident as the engines age and more and more are modified. And there may not be solutions...no one with the capability is going to get serious about accumulating all of the evidence necessary to identify the specific problems, there are just not enough of these engines (or blown engines for that matter) to justify the project. Our trucks are declining in numbers, there are only 1800 Vipers built each year...and only a few of them blow...

If anyone really knows it is probably Underground, Hennessey, DC Performance or Roe Racing...any input from anyone else is pure speculation and guesses. And while each of them has had success in solving the problem...I bet that not one of them really knows the exact problem, they address a host of issues in building big V-10 power...and along the way they have found a combination of things that avoid BOOM, to an extent...but even theirs go away at some point.

Get a grip folks, go fast, go quick and the engine will fail...heck go slow and the engine will go BOOM, eventually.

01VIPERGTS/ACR said:
Hell, buy a vette.....they last forever.:D

No thanks, that would require a personality change that I can't contemplate doing in this lifetime.........:D

also I do believe some of the synthetic HD diesels oils still have the higher zinc ammounts in them

Kevin Singleton of Exotic Engine Development knows more about Viper engines than any other person on this planet.
Just for information, Dailey Engineering is in the suite next to Exotic Engine Development in Temecula.

There is no speculation on the fix for this oililg issue. an external pump or a dry sump oiling system are the fixes.

I own one of each, the dry sump was 5000 and the external pump was 2500.

An Accusump will keep the engine oiled for short periods of time, so for occasional bursts (1-2 seconds) to 6000-6200 this will work
Fix it one way or another or keep the RPM's under 5200-5400.

FSTJACK said:
Kevin Singleton of Exotic Engine Development knows more about Viper engines than any other person on this planet.
Just for information, Dailey Engineering is in the suite next to Exotic Engine Development in Temecula.

There is no speculation on the fix for this oililg issue. an external pump or a dry sump oiling system are the fixes.

An Accusump will keep the engine oiled for short periods of time, so for occasional bursts (1-2 seconds) to 6000-6200 this will work
:( Damn that's a big chunk of change to fix a factory flaw.......:argh:

FSTJACK said:

good info - thanks jack. :)

so a dry sump & forged rods/pistons should make for a reasonably "dependable" viper engine ?:dontknow:

http://exoticengine.net/

http://www.daileyengineering.com/main.htm

Last edited:
Yup...as long as you drive it easy...drive it hard and you are on the edge, plan for the worst and smile when the worst happens.

Prof said:
Yup...as long as you drive it easy...drive it hard and you are on the edge, plan for the worst and smile when the worst happens.
:puke: is what I did........

Wait a minute are you guys telling me that I am virtually guaranteed to blow my engine if I am boosted or not. What is the highest mileage from our members without a problem...boost and n/a

and how protected am I with an accusump truck. I bet my answer is this is a crap shoot. Marty's suggestion of switching internals asap is probably the first step but I wont have those funds right away

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back