Oil Cavitation IS an Issue

HaulinAsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock and modified engines beware. :( Running the good oils means NOTHING! :(

My engine :mad: self destructed from Oil Cavitation. :argh: :argh: :argh:

My engine was MILD with meager bolt ons- Long Tube Headers, Cai, and a KRC/SCT tuner. Like I said mild as far as lots of you guys go- and mine went boom and the block is NOT fixable.

Take it from me- You have been warned.:argh:

I believe I remember that you were using additives...Is that correct?

There are numerous warnings about that...

Prof said:
I believe I remember that you were using additives...Is that correct?

There are numerous warnings about that...

I have been told the same thing...and a local race shop / engine builder who has been in business for 25 years warned against it too in these motors.

My engine spun the #3-4 bearing @ 33K. It was making alot of noise so I had it towed to dealer. 2 1/2 months later there sits a new engine in the truck under warranty. No mods at all but when noise first started happening I was in third doing 75 accelerating to the red line going straight so no side loading. I just hope if it goes again it does it before the warranty goes out as the only mod now is centerforce clutch w/viper slave. I have 53K now and I dont drive any differently so in about 10-16K it should blow again and I'll still be under warranty. THEN "F@c* the warranty" mods will start.

FastSRT19 said:
I have been told the same thing...and a local race shop / engine builder who has been in business for 25 years warned against it too in these motors.
I'd buy that answer but all the other bearings show normal wear. And the rest of the engine for the mileage shows pretty decent....:dontknow:

I'm positive the cavitation issue is my culprit.

I honestly dont understand why this engine is considered so exotic as it is just a variation of stroke/bore plus two cylinders over the 360 for example. A bored/stroked 360 to a 408 plus two more cyl would equal 510 in a v-10 which is what 505 .030 over would be approximately. I had a 360 in my Durango R/T with no probs to 170K. It just doesnt make sense to me that they (DC) for over 15 years havent recognized and fixed this problem.

FastSRT19 said:

That goo appears to be Molybdenum Disulfide which has come out

of solution and settled. That is exactly the reason engine builders say not to

use additives. Premium oils have all the components necessary for the proper

lubrication of your engine.

HaulinAsp said:
I'd buy that answer but all the other bearings show normal wear. And the rest of the engine for the mileage shows pretty decent....:dontknow:

I'm positive the cavitation issue is my culprit.
what additives were you using ?

yeah and is there a fix to this issue.... if there is i'd like to get it fixed b4 i spend 10 grand on getting mine built

Tooloe said:
yeah and is there a fix to this issue.... if there is i'd like to get it fixed b4 i spend 10 grand on getting mine built

The dog's are sounding, maybe they will get this

thing tree'ed before too long!
:D

moparracing said:
are you avoiding the question, what additives were you running in your engine ?;)

Looked like about 12 cans of STP!!:p :p :p :p

On a serious note there was no overheating/galling/smearing/ or material

transfer to the rod journal which pretty much convicts the piston as the fault.

Thanks haulin for posting the pic's and prof for keeping focus on the piston.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

moparracing said:
are you avoiding the question, what additives were you running in your engine ?;)
He was running Lucas oil additive...

I posted that it is NOT recommended due to the foaming. There is NO proof that lucas in ANY way, Shape, or form caused it to boom, but imo snake oil.

P.S - SRTBrad's #3 bearing was oil starved, and spun...N/A. All other bearing were in perfect shape; only #3 shot.

RedSrt007 said:
He was running Lucas oil additive...

I posted that it is NOT recommended due to the foaming. There is NO proof that lucas in ANY way, Shape, or form caused it to boom, but imo snake oil.

P.S - SRTBrad's #3 bearing was oil starved, and spun...N/A. All other bearing were in perfect shape; only #3 shot.
was he running additives too....... ?

there has to be an answer to this #3 crap. :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back