Opinions Good and Bad on STS turbo kit?

Tito#14SRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of STS turbo's blowing our motors? is this true? even if you just run low boost as if you would run a paxton on a stock motor and with a good tune with torrie?:dontknow:

STS is bad news,I think every single sts setup has blown up. Stick with the paxton or get JMB to build you a custom turbo setup if you wanna go turbo

STS is bad news,I think every single sts setup has blown up. Stick with the paxton or get JMB to build you a custom turbo setup if you wanna go turbo

ok i thought it be bad news just wanted to know for sure.....im still debating if to go turbo or paxton or even just add some juice with one of justins nos kit setups

I really like turbos, it'd be hard for me to decide between the procharger and a turbo setup. Price would probably decide for me though

I really like turbos, it'd be hard for me to decide between the procharger and a turbo setup. Price would probably decide for me though

yes i personally like turbo better over supercharger but thats just me... as far as price turbo is going to be the more expensive setup for sure.

what is the most you can spray(shot) with one of Justins NOS kits on stock motor and still be safe and not blow it? what kind of HP gains can you expect?

A 150 shot would be close to 550 HP and 700 torque ! Real fun! Keep rpm at 5500 that will give you the power of a well tuned Roe. But a cooler charge !

150 shot is what I run, tempted to do more but I got a lot of miles, almost 100k. Maybe after I forge it I'll go with a bigger shot.

I think any turbo kit would be best purchased as a tuner model regardless of who builds it, STS or anyone else, and then getting a very good fuel system and really good tuner to tune it and it would kick butt. That's my $.02 on turbo kits! :) Of course, my brother builds them and tunes them and makes like 500+ whp out of 2.0L toyota MR2 engines... so yanno, I'm a little biased :)

I think any turbo kit would be best purchased as a tuner model regardless of who builds it, STS or anyone else, and then getting a very good fuel system and really good tuner to tune it and it would kick butt. That's my $.02 on turbo kits! :) Of course, my brother builds them and tunes them and makes like 500+ whp out of 2.0L toyota MR2 engines... so yanno, I'm a little biased :)

Go ahead and build a STS Turbo on a 10 and I'll throw in a box of Kleenex.:argh:

No matter how much money has been thrown at the sts turbo, even on trucks with forged engines, has blown up. Not some or most, 100%.

What does jack have done to his truck? I would be happy if i could get my truck to do that on a 150shot

nothing but bolt on's - STOCK engine, on a 150 shot !

screw the turbo's and supercharger - get NOS ! :)

You guys realize a tuner kit is just a turbo, and pipes right? I agree that STS has a deserved bad reputation in most circles and I personally would never use their stuff, I'm just saying that so long as you don't trust them to do the fuel system and tuning, you could end up with a good set up. It would be the same as making your own kit really, just someone did the tube plumbing for you. I've seen rear mount SRT8 jeeps and even a modified STS rear kit on a challenger that work great. Putting a STS kit on a 10 out of the box may indeed be a recipe for disaster, but saying one brand = destruction cuz they stamped their name on a kit even at the tuner level would be like saying if you put a ford logo on your dodge truck the space time continuum will implode. It makes no sense :)

If you size a turbo properly, ensure adequate waste-gate path ability (tubing size to and from waste gate and properly sized waste gate itself, or double waste gates, etc.) and ensure the sizing of all the plumbing is correct, you can hold low boost adequately and not create a ton of heat in the process which will lead to detonation. I'm not an expert by any means, but my brother does this a LOT, hand crafting 1-off turbo kits for cars (as well as proven kits he builds as stated for MR2's and a few Supras), so I've picked up a few things.

That all being said, I have no idea what size plumbing STS uses and maybe even on the tuner level their kit would be flawed, I don't know. Again, I'm no fan of STS, but the overall design of a rear mount turbo is not flawed, is all I'm sayin' :)

Also, NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems, a brand of nitrous that I happen to run on my van currently. In case some here were unaware *cough* :) I'm a fan of NX systems as well based on design, and a lot of the new Zex stuff is pretty impressive as well :) Peace out!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back