Our Conspicious Consumption...

Very cool find Roy!

A visual reference definitely puts things in perspective!!

We have a lot of work to do....

Thanks to you for putting "Stumble Upon" into my life!

Monet would be proud???????????????????????????????????????????????

Cry me a river, you fat f'in baby! :)

It is disgusting how much we consume, especially when you consider that so much is wasted on packaging.

It is not relative...if you believe that you need to read a little more.

Speaking of reading...in the middle of "Sacred Stone" a Clive Cussler novel...thanks for mentioning him to me...now my stack of reading material is about two feet high...I'll never catch up...ain't it great!

Sobering? Not really. Seems like a very slanted, extremist point of view.

For example, how about some depictions of plastics, paper, cell phones, etc. that are recycled religiously by millions of responsible Americans. (myself included) Or, a depiction of millions of trees replanted by reforestion efforts across the land.

The Barbie depiction was kinda cool!

I hope you are the rule...I do want to believe it. But my natural suspicion of the state of human concern is in conflict with your feelings. I do hope your view is correct.

Fast one said:

Eh, I wouldn't characterize that as extremist. It would have been more interesting to show a comparative scale for what is recycled or renewable, as you mentioned. It would certainly help put that aspect of our efforts in perspective as compared to our consumption.

I don't think it's sobering either. I believe most of us are so numb and/or accustomed to the way we live, that by and large we've become apathetic.

Sobering would be having to wipe your ass with a corn cob because toilet paper has become too scarce or expensive.:p

Call me a trouble maker if you will. But the hypocrisy extended by someone so concerned about the environment and then turning around and driving a tank that has been labeled the worst gas guzzler on the very Planet they claim to be so concerned about is truly mesmerizing :D :elefant:

My two daily drivers are fuel efficient vehicles...my pleasure vehicles are all problematic. On the other hand if hypocrisy is a crime I was unaware of it. The failure to be involved and or concerned at some level is total disregard. I for one do not condone fanatical support of any cause, if we each do what we can, in our own way, much can be achieved. I am anti-war but will fight if told to do so by my government. I am opposed to abortion but will support the law of the land. It is the extremists that make compromise and the discovery of solutions very difficult. To each his/her own and to judge another by your standards is always wrong.

What do you think Mikey...no not what you want to say in defense...just what do you think?

Here is a cartoon of how much fuel my 707 burns an hour:

Attachments

• dinos.JPG
    dinos.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 38
Fast one said:

For example, how about some depictions of plastics, paper, cell phones, etc. that are recycled religiously by millions of responsible Americans. (myself included) Or, a depiction of millions of trees replanted by reforestion efforts across the land.

The Barbie depiction was kinda cool!

I don't think it is too extremist. Lots of people that are not environmentally conscious contribute to this view. For every person that cares about recycling there are two or three that don't give a hoot.

One thing that people should remember that most of the trees cut down are replaced with fast growing species that in the long run only increase deforestation. We cut down slow growth red woods and replace them with evergreens. If anyone has ever seen a red wood and seen it replaced by a Christmas tree you would cry foul too.

Yes I am a minority and might love our great trees that have been given to us to protect.

-jeff

TheSickness said:
Call me a trouble maker if you will. But the hypocrisy extended by someone so concerned about the environment and then turning around and driving a tank that has been labeled the worst gas guzzler on the very Planet they claim to be so concerned about is truly mesmerizing :D :elefant:

Call me a hypocrite all you want Mikey:D But I don't drive my truck as much as most and try to make up for it in other ways. I'm looking at solar panels, thermo heating and cooling, and lots of other things to make this place better for my kids and their kids.

-jeff

The environment is always a hot topic....at election time ;) :D Global Warming is a joke and has been manipulated into a platform of double speak by a certain party. It revived a political career and in turn a Nobel Peace prize was bought to further the agenda. It's a joke really. Want to really take a stand boycott all fossil fuels and get a horse and buggy or turn Amish :D

Not directing this at anyone in particular even though I quoted Roy....Got nothing but Love for you Bro :elefant:

TheSickness said:
The environment is always a hot topic....at election time ;) :D Global Warming is a joke and has been manipulated into a platform of double speak by a certain party. It revived a political career and in turn a Nobel Peace prize was bought to further the agenda. It's a joke really. Want to really take a stand boycott all fossil fuels and get a horse and buggy or turn Amish :D

Not directing this at anyone in particular even though I quoted Roy....Got nothing but Love for you Bro :elefant:

I for one have posted a lot on the subject and have brought a lot of scientific information to the subject. To say it is a political platform is not correct. Yes Al is the leading person on the subject, but I'm an independent, and lots of people support the effort to get correct information out there. A new campaign is starting on the issue that teams conservatives and liberals on the subject. I've seen previews of Al Sharpton and Pat Robertson talking about and supporting the subject.

No one is going to go back to horse and buggies, but we can invest in other alternatives to reduce admissions and other favorable activities.

-jeff

Jeff I don't believe in Global calamity and the need for alarmists to shove this down peoples throats....Much along the lines of religion with me. Now I am not a stupid uninformed person at all. I read a lot of things on both sides of the issue and then formulate an opinion. I believe it's a flawed science and another way to make money for some people. I recycle like almost everyone, I like clean air and water ect...But some of the claims made are ridiculous and in most cases dead wrong. Fear mongering :elefant: is what I call it :p

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back