pinion angle

blackmamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I corrected my pinion angle today. I am running 2 degrees down. No vibration, it does have more forward bit. How much, I don't know until I get to the track. I went with a 4 degree shim to get 2 degrees. Has anyone else done this and how much pinion angle are you using on your trucks???

I havent yet but I need to, the 3" block didn't have a taper already to correct the pinion angle?

I havent yet but I need to, the 3" block didn't have a taper already to correct the pinion angle?

No it did not. The factory setting is 0 or up 2. The old drag race trick is to go down. But too much can cause a bad viberation and it also starts to rob horsepower. I may try a 6 degree shim for a total of 4 degrees down.

That isn't an easy one to provide an absolute answer to. The idea is to have no angle (between the pinion and the driveshaft) when the engine under w.o.t. It depends on several things- How much power are you making? Is the suspension completely stock? Weight? Slammed? Q.C., REG CAB?, Are you using Caltracs? Launch r.p.m.?, Stick or auto? Convertor stall? Slicks? O.E.M. tires?

Some "degree" :) of nose down at rest is the place to start. Sure, try 6 degrees down; experiment...If it is too much, it will vibrate when driving it around on the highway and such..

Last edited:
That isn't an easy one to answer. The idea is to have no angle (between the pinion and the driveshaft) when the engine under w.o.t. It depends on several things- How much power are you making? Is the suspension completely stock? Weight? Slammed? Q.C., REG CAB?, Are you using Caltracs? Launch r.p.m.?, Stick or auto? Convertor stall? Slicks? O.E.M. tires?

Some "degree" :) of nose down at rest is the place to start. Sure, try 6 degrees down; experiment...

Thanks Ronnie, I am going to get some track times with this 2 down setup, then try 4 down and see what my 60 fts do.

Thanks Ronnie, I am going to get some track times with this 2 down setup, then try 4 down and see what my 60 fts do.

That's the way to go...
Jump in somewhere reasonable, then fine tune the combo..
The correct pinion angle can make a large difference in performance at the track, if it was wrong to start with.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Very interesting topic guys....

Where are these wedges being purchased from?!?

Anyone using them with the stock suspention set up and height?

Just Google pinion angle whims should bring up a bunch of places

Leaf Spring Axle Shim

Not sure if he used shims but trainman did adjust his pinion angle and has a stock height suspension, just added cal-tracs

Thanks.... I'll do some research.

I will soon be pulling the rear leaf springs to have poly bushings installed. I should decide what shim to install.

Any starting point suggestions to improve angle for acceleration WITHOUT effecting high speed vibration?!?

Cheers!

Today I installed my Energy Suspension polyurethane leaf spring and shackle bushings. With my truck as low as it is, I had to go with 8 degrees of pinion shim. That ended up with 4 degrees down of pinion angle. The truck has more forward bite and the rear squats and the front lifts. It's wanting to transfer weight now. It doesn't have any drive line vibration either. I can't wait to get to the track.:rock::rock::rock:

This thread is awesome info! This is the main reason I have not lowered my truck yet. I feel like the 3" block should have something for a taper on it when you buy the kit. I do not want to lose performance and I do not live close to a track to really do my own R/D! I have had 6 trucks that have had 4"-8" in lift and no reputable kit has square blocks. This being my first vehicle I'm going to drop and performance more important than ever, I feel like the 3" drop should come with ATLEAST 4 degrees on the block. Would really like to thank the guys who are posting their R/D and results. I will be ordering a 2"/3" kit soon with no other suspension mods, and running through the T56. If anyone has the science down on that... info will be greatly appreciated!!!

This thread is awesome info! This is the main reason I have not lowered my truck yet. I feel like the 3" block should have something for a taper on it when you buy the kit. I do not want to lose performance and I do not live close to a track to really do my own R/D! I have had 6 trucks that have had 4"-8" in lift and no reputable kit has square blocks. This being my first vehicle I'm going to drop and performance more important than ever, I feel like the 3" drop should come with ATLEAST 4 degrees on the block. Would really like to thank the guys who are posting their R/D and results. I will be ordering a 2"/3" kit soon with no other suspension mods, and running through the T56. If anyone has the science down on that... info will be greatly appreciated!!!

You are also going to cut down swaybar end links, to make them function properly again.the swaybar needs to be parallel to the ground.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back