Post up to the Blown Engine Club

Did you lose an engine?...

• Total voters
hmmmmm i would like to see everyones story to as why they lost the motor expecialy the NA guys...

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
hmmmmm i would like to see everyones story to as why they lost the motor expecialy the NA guys...

I spun a rod (#3) after doing all day 3rd gear pulls from 2500 to 6000 RPM. My QC was probably due to an oiling issue from high rpm pulls for extended periods of time.

I lost two engines with STS so I should get to vote twice. I was the mule. It's all been well documented. The second engine was built for boost with all the best parts but lasted only 1,000 miles and blew up on the dyno. It's then I figured I spent enough trying to make this work and went back to N/A. I read about the latest projects hoping for the best for all of you, especially Scott, but I watch those videos with my fingers in my ears waiting for the BOOM!

BTW, in my opinion, after driving mine while it still held together, with high hp numbers similar power to what is being made now, it was totally useless. I spent a lot of money to learn this lesson. I admit I got seduced by the promise of big hp numbers. But, the bottom line was that no way were street tires going to handle that kind of power. All it was really good for was winning a dyno peeing contest and burnout competitions. A vehicle with much less power that can hook up would have blown me away. Also, if you're going to use that kind of power on the track, be prepared to spend more bucks to modify the entire drivetrain or things are going to break. A good vehicle for the street or the track needs to be balanced between the power it makes and it's ability to use that power.

Big Asp said:
I lost two engines with STS so I should get to vote twice. I was the mule. It's all been well documented. The second engine was built for boost with all the best parts but lasted only 1,000 miles and blew up on the dyno. It's then I figured I spent enough trying to make this work and went back to N/A. I read about the latest projects hoping for the best for all of you, especially Scott, but I watch those videos with my fingers in my ears waiting for the BOOM!

BTW, in my opinion, after driving mine while it still held together, with high hp numbers similar power to what is being made now, it was totally useless. I spent a lot of money to learn this lesson. I admit I got seduced by the promise of big hp numbers. But, the bottom line was that no way were street tires going to handle that kind of power. All it was really good for was winning a dyno peeing contest and burnout competitions. A vehicle with much less power that can hook up would have blown me away. Also, if you're going to use that kind of power on the track, be prepared to spend more bucks to modify the entire drivetrain or things are going to break. A good vehicle for the street or the track needs to be balanced between the power it makes and it's ability to use that power.

very well said:rock:

I was told by the car dealership who dynoed/tuned my truck that it was because of nitrous for which mine blew up (which was used prior to the Paxton being installed). However, the few people I've talked to didnt see signs of nitrous damage on the pistons.

I dont know how much nitrous was used prior to the Paxton being installed, so I was caught in the middle and had to pay for everything myself to get the truck back on the road.

Big Asp said:
The second engine was built for boost with all the best parts but lasted only 1,000 miles and blew up on the dyno.

BTW, in my opinion, after driving mine while it still held together, with high hp numbers similar power to what is being made now, it was totally useless.

Although I know what happenend with the 2nd engine do you want to be more specific?

How much power is to much power for the streets?

FlyingLow said:
I think that is covered under the Turbo category.

Lost #3 on the dyno. Had the STS turbo on for 2.5 years, 2 private track rentals, tons of dyno runs and countless street encounters. I believed the #3 let go and impacted the spark plug 1 year prior to me actually losing the engine. Part of the saving grace was the meth IMO. On the dyno we had the meth off. So weak piston + 8psi = blown engine.

Tuning solutions that I had:
1. STS1-E with 4 extra injectors
2. VEC 3 with 60 lb injectors and meth tuned by Taliban Dan
3. VEC 3 with 60 lb injectors and meth tuned by Sean Roe himself.
4. SCT, 60lb's, 2 bar map sensor tuned by Marty. Lost engine on dyno runs.

I was not going to say anything Scott, (but since you seem to be on a quest to find data to prove me wrong) I find it really funny that when a few of us old timers told you this, you didn't believe us and just knew it had to be something else.

F*ck it, I will just stop there.

SrtBrad said:
Wow so far there has been more NA engines that let go than anything else.:confused:
this poll likely won't be very accurate @ all, i don't see alot of the FI blown up engines i've heard about, & where are all those sts failures @ ?:dontknow:

Silverback said:
I was not going to say anything Scott, (but since you seem to be on a quest to find data to prove me wrong) I find it really funny that when a few of us old timers told you this, you didn't believe us and just knew it had to be something else.

F*ck it, I will just stop there.

When that happened I was dealing with my wife who was in a car wreck. Which is why I was driving like a mad man. Then I replaced the spark plug and it drove normal. Then I got a leak down test and it was normal. Then I had Taliban Dan install a VEC3, meth and tune. Then I had Sean Roe tune the truck. Then I had Marty at KRC tune the truck. We were done tuning and were simply doing a run to see if the tranny was leaking when the piston finally let go. Back to the day in question. The only evidence was the spark plug. Engine was running fine so I looked for other answers. Diagnosing off a picture is not always the most accurate way. Especially when the picture says one thing and the dyno/leak down test showed no damage.

Now the reason I have since changed my mine and agree with you that you were right, I was wrong (feels good don't it) is because of what happened at Marty's. The spark plug looked the same and after the engine was pulled a part then we could really see the damage. That combined with all the information lately about pistons and I can look back and put all the pieces together. That part that gets me is that piston held together for about 75 dyno runs, 3 different tuners (2 of them being vendors), countless street races and over 1 year's length of time.

FlyingLow said:
When that happened I was dealing with my wife who was in a car wreck. Which is why I was driving like a mad man. Then I replaced the spark plug and it drove normal. Then I got a leak down test and it was normal. Then I had Taliban Dan install a VEC3, meth and tune. Then I had Sean Roe tune the truck. Then I had Marty at KRC tune the truck. We were done tuning and were simply doing a run to see if the tranny was leaking when the piston finally let go. Back to the day in question. The only evidence was the spark plug. Engine was running fine so I looked for other answers. Diagnosing off a picture is not always the most accurate way. Especially when the picture says one thing and the dyno/leak down test showed no damage.

Now the reason I have since changed my mine and agree with you that you were right, I was wrong (feels good don't it) is because of what happened at Marty's. The spark plug looked the same and after the engine was pulled a part then we could really see the damage. That combined with all the information lately about pistons and I can look back and put all the pieces together. That part that gets me is that piston held together for about 75 dyno runs, 3 different tuners (2 of them being vendors), countless street races and over 1 year's length of time.

No Scott, it doesn't feel good. :(

Silverback said:
IThe only reason that I pointed this out to Scott is his posting of Bone's information to make it look like I did not know what I was talking about. After all, Bone has blown two motors, so he obviously must know more than I do.

I did not post that to make you seem wrong, I didn't even read the whole post. On that thread Nyc Stev posted the link to the original thread that had Bone's post. http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495697&postcount=114 I just went one step further and posted the actual post so people would not have to go back and forth between threads. No intent to "Make you look bad." Not every post is about you.

OK, everybody got to throw their jabs. I don't want ot see a thread like this go down the tubes, there is a potential for some very good info to come out of it. So, I cleaned it up. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

This poll is useless if we can't compare it to the motors/trucks that have not died!!:dontknow:

Why not add an extra choice for each line to record the living??:D

I'm trucksitting an 05 qc with a slightly (barely) damaged motor (spun rod bearing). does that count?

I thought there were more blown engine than these. :dontknow: I'm surprised that the N/A's are leading the pack. :confused: BAD TUNE?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back