Post up to the Blown Engine Club

Did you lose an engine?...

• Total voters
I sent a STS forged turbo guy home with a 93 octane tune, knock sensors enabled, and with the 10% ethanol fuel, he detonated a plug. Didn't hurt the motor, would have busted a piston had it been stock.

No matter how well someone tunes it, variables can hurt it. Overheating or fuel quality being the first major killers.

You guys have stock pistons that are making 400-450rw from the factory, then moving it to 500-600 with boost. I don't care how perfect the tune is-your piston is not designed to handle that power and pressure. Everyone of you doing this on a cast piston trying to make 700 crank is simply gambling.

No-one would take any project car with plans for boost and decide to keep the factory non forged piston in it. I get razzed all the time because our SRT8 Jeep's fastest times are due to the forged parts. These guys chasin our times are running 175-200 shots on a stock block. How is a forged engine faster than a stock setup? So I chose to forge the engine? That is the only way to go when adding power levels way above factory design. I have a 2009 Challenger with 3 miles on it, twin turbos, and already have a forged engine going in it. No gambling there.....

I have 1 Paxton failure, 2 STS Failures (Flying Low is one), 1 NO2 failure on stock blocks here, everyone the top of the piston fell apart. Not a single forged failure. Nor any oiling failures. All 11.5 to 11.8 AFR.

Forge the pistons and rods, then press on.....

msdnga said:
I sent a STS forged turbo guy home with a 93 octane tune, knock sensors enabled, and with the 10% ethanol fuel, he detonated a plug. Didn't hurt the motor, would have busted a piston had it been stock.

No matter how well someone tunes it, variables can hurt it. Overheating or fuel quality being the first major killers.

You guys have stock pistons that are making 400-450rw from the factory, then moving it to 500-600 with boost. I don't care how perfect the tune is-your piston is not designed to handle that power and pressure. Everyone of you doing this on a cast piston trying to make 700 crank is simply gambling.

No-one would take any project car with plans for boost and decide to keep the factory non forged piston in it. I get razzed all the time because our SRT8 Jeep's fastest times are due to the forged parts. These guys chasin our times are running 175-200 shots on a stock block. How is a forged engine faster than a stock setup? So I chose to forge the engine? That is the only way to go when adding power levels way above factory design. I have a 2009 Challenger with 3 miles on it, twin turbos, and already have a forged engine going in it. No gambling there.....

I have 1 Paxton failure, 2 STS Failures (Flying Low is one), 1 NO2 failure on stock blocks here, everyone the top of the piston fell apart. Not a single forged failure. Nor any oiling failures. All 11.5 to 11.8 AFR.

Forge the pistons and rods, then press on.....

True Dat!

Mine "went" on the highway doing a pull from 80-120. Heard a back fire threw a code then started to misfire. Plug inspection revealed closed gaps on #3 and #7 cylinders. The consensus being preliminary stock piston failure caused by boost induced detonation. BTW the engine hasn't actually blown yet but will very shortly.:( I have ROE TMTS @ 7 psi

It is clear now these enginges were designed with approximately 25% factor of safety. Adding additional power such as FI , will most likely stress the engine to its design limits and reveal any design flaws.

I WAS planning to forge the engine this winter any now's the time I guess

My Blown engine

Mine blew with a completely stock truck with only a VECII, I have no idea who tuned it:dontknow: :dontknow:
I am not going to rule out that the previous owner had done something else to it (ie. blower,nos) I have no idea but now I have a new engine and I hope it stays together for a while.:)
Dodge did warranty it but I do not believe that they knew what the VECII was at the time but I was warned that I would not receive any other warranty after it was finished because it was modded:dontknow:
I thought they would not have covered it I had to pay for all of the wear parts (ie. Plugs, wires, clean and test the rad I can't remember what else but it cost 3k:( )cheaper than a whole engine though

I guess I am part of this club now. I will get the details as they come, at this point I know the crate is at the dodge Dealer for my engine. I will post more as the moons come

Big Worm said:
I guess I am part of this club now. I will get the details as they come, at this point I know the crate is at the dodge Dealer for my engine. I will post more as the moons come

WTF??:dontknow:

I thought you sold it?:confused: :confused:

kyle's srt10 said:

He did, but the engine let go as the new owner was driving home. Worm was kind enough to take the truck back and deal with it himself.

Bill.

Begood said:
He did, but the engine let go as the new owner was driving home. Worm was kind enough to take the truck back and deal with it himself.

Bill.

How'd I miss that:dontknow: :( Very sorry to hear this. You're a good man SSG:rock:

TheSickness said:
The bottom line is if you take this motor and you go away from what came stock your gonna pay. So take notice and act accordingly. If you have the money to Mod then you better also have enough money to replace the engine at some point..Don't do like some do here and read a couple threads and think your Carol Shelby or that you can adequately do the work yourself. It really does not matter what kind of tuner or tune you get it's the luck of the draw really. It's mechanical and just like us is born to die. Smoke 4 packs a day and presumably die sooner then say someone like Len Bias :D

Some engines last longer then others do when Moded...I tend to believe that the vast majority of engine failures are directly attributable to dip shit owners and not the equipment anyway...I went to one GTG where one member drove like the biggest jack ass I have ever seen...I won't mention any names :p But he wrecked his shit and that took a lot longer then I thought it would :congrats: You wanna go fast....then do it ! Just do your homework first and weigh out your options...Buncha speed junkies :rock:

I wasn't at your damned GTG!!! :D :D

kyle's srt10 said:

I did but the buyer drove it home and some how it got jacked up.

So not it is sits in back of the Dodge Dealer, awaiting to be built

Begood said:

Bill.
thanks for clearing that up bill.

I'm not going to say I did it buy it's going we think............................

Lets go with it happened to me. :)

Yeah Kyle its slowed up, smells like a gas station in the cab. worse then ever. smokes out the vents.

the Doctor has advised me not to drive it.

Ali has release our Vacation funds to overhaul.

Waiting for Larry to hook me up with his build sheet. I'm going to copy it, never look back....................... ever...............:)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back