Powerlifting

Glad to see some others in here lift... I don't compete but I do enjoy lifting heavy.

My bench is strong at 405 for 2 reps while weighting in at 193 pounds. I did this back in December and feel I can do little more as I can rep 365 for 10 pretty well without a spot most days, but anything more I feel is just bragging rights and asking for an injury.

Unfortunately I have never been able to dead lift much. I can do 365 raw but that is the breaking point for my grip. I have done 405 with straps, and felt like I was going to pass out after doing it lol.

I've done as much as 495 on squat but I haven't been going heavy lately at all, had some medical issues kicking me in the ass.

Getting really strong! I'm impressed. Where are the bench video's?

Fixed it for you.

Thanks man!! My girlfriend didnt get the bench video lol someone there recorded all the lifts so I'm waiting for them to get back to me about my bench vid.

and you are correct haha the powerlifting community is a lot more supportive and friendly too. I had guys that I was competing against cheering me on when I went for 585

Glad to see some others in here lift... I don't compete but I do enjoy lifting heavy.

My bench is strong at 405 for 2 reps while weighting in at 193 pounds. I did this back in December and feel I can do little more as I can rep 365 for 10 pretty well without a spot most days, but anything more I feel is just bragging rights and asking for an injury.

Unfortunately I have never been able to dead lift much. I can do 365 raw but that is the breaking point for my grip. I have done 405 with straps, and felt like I was going to pass out after doing it lol.

I've done as much as 495 on squat but I haven't been going heavy lately at all, had some medical issues kicking me in the ass.

a 405x2 bench is pretty damn strong man. My bench has never been too great because I have these oddly long arms. Makes deadlifting a lot easier though lol

Thanks man!! My girlfriend didnt get the bench video lol someone there recorded all the lifts so I'm waiting for them to get back to me about my bench vid.
I think the long arm thing is an excuse tall guys use (I'm a gangly armed 6'4, so I can say that). There are a ton of guys with long arms that bench big weight (Kirill Sarycheiv, & KK both come to mind). You don't need an excuse though, a 365 pound bench is not small weight.

and you are correct haha the powerlifting community is a lot more supportive and friendly too. I had guys that I was competing against cheering me on when I went for 585
I have found nothing but love in the powerlifting community (#nohetero). Lifting maximal weights is about personal growth and improvement, not about capitalizing on others weaknesses.

I think the long arm thing is an excuse tall guys use (I'm a gangly armed 6'4, so I can say that). There are a ton of guys with long arms that bench big weight (Kirill Sarycheiv, & KK both come to mind). You don't need an excuse though, a 365 pound bench is not small weight.

I have found nothing but love in the powerlifting community (#nohetero). Lifting maximal weights is about personal growth and improvement, not about capitalizing on others weaknesses.

I agree its an excuse and big benches are possible, but it might just take a little extra time to get there lol a friend of mine, that is the same height, hit a 500 lb bench at that meet.

I agree its an excuse and big benches are possible, but it might just take a little extra time to get there lol a friend of mine, that is the same height, hit a 500 lb bench at that meet.

Screw that guy! (Who said powerlifters don't get jealous :D)

Miss the days when I could do 315x2. Jealous of you guys lifting that now. Course it's been 20 years since I did that...honestly don't know if I could throw up 185 now :(
Had a back injury that reminds me every time I try to move or lift heavy weight while working. Learned to swallow my pride and ask for help. Been slowly, slowly trying to get back at lifting but more repetitive dumbbell workouts and stretches for my old ass till I feel confident enough to get back on the bench. I still work out with my 40lb dumbbells though in reps of 10 so I'm kinda proud I can still do that. Caveman has been a great asset in my recovery process with stretches and ideas to keep halfass fit while not injuring my back again. Much appreciated bro:rock:

He played college football as an offensive lineman. Pushing is what he does best haha
One of my lifting partners played college ball. He does sets of 5 with 405 and moves 445 with insane speed. Super cool guy too.

Miss the days when I could do 315x2. Jealous of you guys lifting that now. Course it's been 20 years since I did that...honestly don't know if I could throw up 185 now :(
Had a back injury that reminds me every time I try to move or lift heavy weight while working. Learned to swallow my pride and ask for help. Been slowly, slowly trying to get back at lifting but more repetitive dumbbell workouts and stretches for my old ass till I feel confident enough to get back on the bench. I still work out with my 40lb dumbbells though in reps of 10 so I'm kinda proud I can still do that. Caveman has been a great asset in my recovery process with stretches and ideas to keep halfass fit while not injuring my back again. Much appreciated bro:rock:
Dude, I really think that getting back in the gym would help your back a lot. No need to try and push a lot of weight. Just do what you can without pain. As long as I'm not going too heavy, lifting alleviates much of the pain.

Last edited:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LyDoX0tso[/ame]

me and a couple of the guys I've been training with. They've been powerlifting a lot longer and are pretty damn strong. I've been learning a lot and it has definitely helped

Last edited by a moderator:
NEW PR 560x1 on squats [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IphO1YsDBts[/ame]

605x4 with reverse bands [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Invn7EHeLo[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad ass Bro! Please don't take this offensive but in regards to that 560 be very careful on your depth, I've seen guys get red lighted that were probably atleast an inch lower than you. I always tried to just smash them off of the floor so there were no possibilities of catching a red light.

NEW PR 560x1 on squats, 605x4 with reverse bands
Nice work! I've never squatted against bands, reverse or otherwise. How far out are you from your next comp?

Bad ass Bro! Please don't take this offensive but in regards to that 560 be very careful on your depth, I've seen guys get red lighted that were probably atleast an inch lower than you. I always tried to just smash them off of the floor so there were no possibilities of catching a red light.
Relighted for depth? Only a chump would get redlighted for depth.... or me. :eek:

no offense taken. I know it was pretty close, but I'm still learning to "feel" where the squat is instead of seeing it in the mirror. I have 5 weeks before my meet so I should have it dialed in by then

I've watched it multiple times now.... it's not as shallow as I first thought but it is right on the line. That could get called either way. It's funny you say that about the mirror, I can remember when I felt all messed up the first time I did a comp and the first thing you realize is how much more stable you feel while looking in the mirror. As time goes on it won't even phase you anymore.

I've watched it multiple times now.... it's not as shallow as I first thought but it is right on the line. That could get called either way. It's funny you say that about the mirror, I can remember when I felt all messed up the first time I did a comp and the first thing you realize is how much more stable you feel while looking in the mirror. As time goes on it won't even phase you anymore.

Its a big difference. you get so used to having a mirror, headphones, same squat rack, etc and its all different at the meet. You have no mirror, no headphones, different rack and a judge in your face calling the commands.

I've had a friend of mine calling all the commands for bench, squat and deadlift for even warmup sets and i'm already starting to get used to it

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back