QA1 Front Shocks - Poor Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just having my restoration shop install Justin's JMB stage-3 traction kit with the QA1 shocks. The kit is "OK", not bad, a little on the "budget" side. No instructions the first time, wrong shocks sent but ended out working OK as I ordered a 2" rear drop to suit my taste and the shocks we got. A few bolts missing on one of the leaf clamps and no instructions altogether for the stage-3 kit but yeah, my beef is with the fit of the front shocks. They are a very poor fit. They're universal but they could have been more suited to our trucks, not sure what the laws in the US are but these shocks are borderline non-warrantable in New Zealand. They were that bad the shop called to say the wrong shocks have been supplied because they were that far off. Sure they "go on" but don't fit. Not until I contacted Justin did we find out we had to "use the available adapters to make them work". Justin claims "he had nothing but excellent feedback from them, they are on the worlds fastest QC and RC as well as about 30-40 other trucks."

That's all nice and well, could be gold plated and on the Queens carriage for all I care it's not the point. If they fit like mine (same shock numbers etc) I'm not sure why no one has mentioned anything or come forward. My years on forums have also taught me to watch out for arse kissing: "BEST KIT EVER MADE!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!" when in reality it's not but no one says jack. I'm not saying in any way that this applies here at VTCOA. I just thought I'd share my experience. I'm sure they will function properly, just a poor fit and setup. I will drive it for a couple of hundred miles and keep checking for strains and if not happy will re-use the factory shocks which have stout and solid bolt mounts and are a solid fit. In terms of the kit, quality & fitment wise, I'd give the kit a 6/10 which is very fair in my opinion as a customer.

Problems: The sleeve that comes with it only fits halfway down the shaft and isn't a very nice fit, loose. The QAI bushings don't fit but Justin said not to use them but to use the factory ones, which we did but the fitment is still sub-standard. The bottom bolts are too small so the large washers supplied for the QA1 top bushings must be used at the bottom (see below). The shocks just don't fit nicely, simple as that. The shop said: "To be honest, there isn't much the shocks do have in common fitment wise to the originals, they're that far off". Great shocks, just wish there were, or was, a better set for OUR trucks as far as fitment goes. Plus the supplied nolathane bushes for the rear sway bar links were too small to fit over the link, so we had to purchase some locally. To be fair, I never mentioned this to Justin as it would just be a "hassle" for him and this kit seems to have bad/budget things popping up all over the show so I'm in recovery mode, "do what has to be done to fit this bloody thing." When you spend close to $1,000 for a kit, you expect the setup and fitment to be spot on, not have to run around and "make" it work. Last but not least, not happy at all with Justin's "service". Left a lot to be desired........

NRLoweringKit.jpg

JMB4.jpg

The large washers we had to use which were originally for the top.
JMB3.jpg

Closer up.........
JMB1.jpg

Hard to see, bad photo but the shaft is loose, not a tight fit......
JMB2.jpg

Here is what the supplied stuff looks like on the left.....LOL........
JMB5.jpg

Closer up.......if you guys class that as a great fit I'll be stunned.
JMB6.jpg

Supplied QA1 bushing, Justin said they won't work, just showing how they are anyway
JMB7.jpg

The factory bushings are used (as advised) but the sleeve doesn't fit well and it's still floating a little.
JMB.jpg

Last edited:
Glad they work. How many miles have you had them in for. My point isn't that they fit, you can wear baggy pants, "they fit" but still fall halfway down your ass. My point is how poor the fit is for what the kit is I expected it to be somewhat better than the above, by a long shot. I and the shop have high standards which I presume most of you guys would too.

to say justins service is lacking is absurd...... he has went above and beyond for numerous members on this forum as well as multiple other forums....... and he has always made shit right.........just pisses me off to hear someone bashing my builder as well as my friend .........id go on but thats all for now

505'sFastestViper. said:
to say justins service is lacking is absurd...... he has went above and beyond for numerous members on this forum as well as multiple other forums....... and he has always made shit right.........just pisses me off to hear someone bashing my builder as well as my friend .........id go on but thats all for now
Absurd? Pisses you off? Mate, try dealing with him from NZ and how he was to me, I'll tell you about being pissed off. :mad: Were you dealing with me and Justin in our transactions? No, so how can you call me absurd when you know nothing about what happened. As others have done for his good service, I will voice my experience of his poor service - Or do we all bottle it up around here and brown nose? Not me.

Justin is a stand up guy in my book. I could not be happier with a vendor. If the product has a bad fit then return it or talk to Justin. I have QA1's on my RC in the front but did not install them myself. DC Performance did not have any issues with my install that I know of.

I'm sure Justin will do everything possible to make you happy but Justin does not make the product, he only sells it.

Carlwalski said:
Absurd? Pisses you off? Mate, try dealing with him from NZ and how he was to me, I'll tell you about being pissed off. :mad: Were you dealing with me and Justin in our transactions? No, so how can you call me absurd when you know nothing about what happened. As others have done for his good service, I will voice my experience of his poor service - Or do we all bottle it up around here and brown nose? Not me.
listen here mate justin does not live right around the corner from me either and we have done a lot to my truck ....he has always answered and done everything to help...........and why the f**k would the customer brown nose ....wouldnt it be the other way around......well voice your experience i'm sure there is along line of people that will jump on that bandwagon with you mate(sarcasm)

Last edited by a moderator:
SrtBrad said:
Justin is a stand up guy in my book. I could not be happier with a vendor. If the product has a bad fit then return it or talk to Justin. I have QA1's on my RC in the front but did not install them myself. DC Performance did not have any issues with my install that I know of.

I'm sure Justin will do everything possible to make you happy but Justin does not make the product, he only sells it.
I have been emailing Justin to get this kit in. This topic has gone off, it's about the way the shocks fit and the poor set up, not the vendor, or that they go on, they go on, just quite shocked and HOW they go on. Just surprised no one else has said anything because these shocks are far from a perfect fit yet out of all the posts no one has mentioned it before. I realise Justin doesn't make the shocks, only the sleeves I believe. I'm glad you had good service, I have had good service from Justin too, just the last 2 or 3 orders I was treated unfairly and felt his service was very unprofessional.

Carlwalski said:
I have been emailing Justin to get this kit in. This topic has gone off, it's about the way the shocks fit and the poor set up, not the vendor, or that they go on, they go on, just quite shocked and HOW they go on. Just surprised no one else has said anything because these shocks are far from a perfect fit yet out of all the posts no one has mentioned it before. I realise Justin doesn't make the shocks, only the sleeves I believe. I'm glad you had good service, I have had good service from Justin too, just the last 2 or 3 orders I was treated unfairly and felt his service was very unprofessional.
call him on the horn and get it figured out i promise and vouch for justin and will gladly go to battle for him .......he is a great guy and does absolutely everything to get shit right ....im sure he will chime in so i will leave it at that

For me Justin's service has been good except for one occasion. I bought some Catless midpipes and they did not fit. It was no bolt in operation. Called him up and told him they would fit a ton better if they were 1" shorter. I have seen some other post along the same lines. His response was pretty much "Oh ok" and that was it. To me it seemed like deal with it was his attitude. Currently my midpipes are pushing my exhaust all the way against the rubber mounting bushings and has no give at all.

505'sFastestViper. said:
listen here mate justin does not live right around the corner from me either and we have done a lot to my truck ....he has always answered and done everything to help...........and why the f**k would the customer brown nose ....wouldnt it be the other way around......well voice your experience i'm sure there is along line of people that will jump on that bandwagon with you mate(sarcasm)
I will and don't get why you seem to have taken this to heart. I had bad service from Justin. It happens. Are you saying I received good service from him or am lying? Were you involved and know what happened? NO. Forums are about opinion and like others I will voice mine. Again, I don't see why you are so upset other than I'm commenting on a friend of yours. That is the service YOU received and I'm glad you had good service, why would I doubt that? Shame I can accept your experience yet you can't accept I received bad service. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and sorry to hear the shocks don't fit. Maybe the 06's are a little different. I have heard of some of the parts having to be modified to fit the 06's.

Carlwalski said:
I will and don't get why you seem to have taken this to heart. I had bad service from Justin. It happens. Are you saying I received good service from him or am lying? Were you involved and know what happened? NO. Forums are about opinion and like others I will voice mine. Again, I don't see why you are so upset other than I'm commenting on a friend of yours. That is the service YOU received and I'm glad you had good service, why would I doubt that? Shame I can accept your experience yet you can't accept I received bad service. ;)
you know im not sayin it didnt happen i just find it real hard to believe ....thats all

wyoramsrt-10 said:
I have seen some other post along the same lines. His response was pretty much "Oh ok" and that was it. To me it seemed like deal with it was his attitude.
Yup, that is what I got too and I know others had, guess I'm the only one "silly" enough to say something. I felt like it was my fault at times for receiving the wrong shocks, no instructions, wrong parts. It was like a burden to get the right stuff or the instructions needed. I called, that was just as unprofessional. Most if not all his stuff are good products, no doubt, I have his emblems, CAI kit, dressup stuff and all of them, perfect. It sucks because I love his store and goods but will not go there now due to my last few experiences.

505'sFastestViper. said:
you know im not sayin it didnt happen i just find it real hard to believe ....thats all
Look, I can honestly see that. Look around, everyone you see has nothing but praise for the guy so he obviously has great service and I'm not here to ruin that (not that I could) and don't want to start a bitch fight, it goes nowhere - fast. That's the reason I didn't start a thread on the subject as well but felt I had to put something about it, so I put my 1 line in at the end of the long arse post. I'm surprised but over time with Justin I noticed and let the first few times slide but not this time. I have had good service from Justin but not the last few times....this post again, isn't about his service, just that the shocks don't fit well, at all.

Last edited:
had a bit the same problem installing new Koni's on my Vette.... also the pin/fork was smaller so had to center the shocks very carefully so the 2 bolts hold it enough... and torque one bolt and the pin/fork tends to move aside...:eek:

think they are "standard" sizes to fit a range of car types.....:dontknow:

I have had a set of QA1s on the red truck for 12K miles, and they installed just like Carls. So far no problems.
There is not an aftermarket shock that will fit our trucks correctly.
The rear sway bar mounting holes are not the same from week to week on most trucks, as so many running changes were made to the trucks.
I had to drill out my sway bar link mounting holes on the frame bracket to get a larger bolt in. Some fit and some don't. The 04s and 05s were somewhat alike but the 06s are a breed onto themselves.
That is what we all have to deal with, beacuse it is a limited production vehicle. Yes it is a pain in the rear, but after a while you get used to having to make most things on a very custom basis.

I recently had an experiance with a big time aftermarket front end fabricator/manufacturer that swore to me ( 3 different people at 3 seperate times ), that their air ride kit would fit. Well after I had the front suspension peeled apart there is no way that it would work even with major modification. I am out of pocket about 900.00 for shipping and other costs directly related to this fiasco. I have just learned to suck it up and move on. It is truly not worth wasting energy on as that will still not get the end result I need.

I will try again, this time with a custom fabricator in SanTee that builds trophy trucks and class one cars. We are going to have to do some very unconventional things to get the results I need.
The bottom line is every time I change something from stock I will really not be surprised if the modification takes some modifying to work correctly. This is true with all hotrods, and the truck is a factory hotrod.
This is what makes modding and hotrodding such fun, "making things work".

My experiences with Justin have been very good. But that being said, every business person understands that there are situations that things just don't go perfectly. And we all have to expect that aftermarket fixes occasionally are going to be less than perfect.

Carl has had a bad experience, we all have had them...his post serves us well, and makes the point that as we modify these trucks we are going to have frustrations. Every vendor experiences this situation it is part of business. I have had problems with PBJ, others have had problems with Roe Racing, and we know those are also excellent sources for most people.

Carl sorry for your dissatisfaction, but you seem to have worked things out, and that in the final analysis (as FstJack said) is what we all try to do in these situations. Thanks for posting...and helping us all understand that sometimes things just do not go the way we hope.

what i also see is that people do less and less thinking work for you... just as robots ... : even Porsche ! :confused: :D look, i orderd a new belt tensioner : mail came that the '82 model is discontinued and replaced by newer model....ok for me , so i confirmed for the new one. Now i want to install it ..to see i need for the conversion also the new type swinging bracket...again 2 weeks waiting for that piece... see, one should expect THEY know that and advise you in the first place...:dontknow: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back