Ram 392 Quick Silver Concept First Test Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by canviper, Jul 27, 2012.

Car Parts
  1. SRT-10 Ralph

SRT-10 Ralph Full Access Member

The market place is just not there to build another Ram SRT. Chrysler/Dodge wants to build vehicles that make sense to people to buy. Every article that I have ever read about our trucks always says, " It's a Hot Rod pickup truck, I don't know what you do with it besides go fast". haha
    I don't think we will see another SRT full size 2wd performance truck for a long time. Dodge pretty much built our SRT-10 trucks to shut Ford up.
    Building a new SRT truck really doesn't make a lot of sense because they want to build trucks that they can sell a lot of. This is also why Ford decided to delete the Gen 3 Lightning from production.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. BADBLACKSRT10

BADBLACKSRT10 Full Access Member

The Ram SRT10 broke the mold! They are so nice that even the new concepts resemble them. Jeff is right....they will never build another Ram Viper but it sure would be cool if they did!!! With the weight technology like it is today....all I can say is wow. Like someone said, on this thread, it would be expensive but man would it be fast!!!

3. raceram9

raceram9 Full Access Member

then explain the $65k+ jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8......

4. Randall488

Randall488 Full Access Member

We will see another SRT Ram, don't worry. The express and R/T rams are proof tht the platform exsists to be expanded on. Its only a matter of time before the public wants to see the 6.4 in th ram with a 6 speed manual. MoPar is aways willing to jump on the performance train. I see chevy and ford both looking to make performace half tons, ford had the ego boost that is turbo equipped from tye factory, chevy will offer a high output 6.2 in their half tons too. I say be patient and let ma MoPar do what she will.

5. bosshawg806

bosshawg806 Full Access Member

Think about the viper had to take a leave of absences and now it is getting ready to make a big returni think srt will bring back the rams they we're just busy bring the vipers back first our glorious ram will be back

6. SRT-10 Ralph

SRT-10 Ralph Full Access Member

That truck is AWD and you can put 5 people in it. Completely different animal. Regular Cab 2wd pickup trucks don't sell as well as awd SUV's....

7. ARRESTmeRed04

ARRESTmeRed04 Active Member Supporting Member

Yeah, they don't seem to sell many regular cabs at all anymore, around here the only trucks on the lots are crew cabs

8. 94rt10ohio

94rt10ohio Full Access Member

There are not many around here either. I ordered mine. But... I notice it really depends on the part of the country. I notice many more RC's in Texas for whatever reason.

Someone mentioned the Express as an example of them wanting to build high end performance trucks, that could not be more wrong. The Express is a base truck with color matched bumpers and a Hemi. If anything that is a interesting truck as you can get it as a "stripper" with the Hemi, no power, carpet, ect. Sort of cool actually, but not an example of their desire to build a SRT.

This truck has been in concept much to long to hit production as you see it. The 2013 Ram has many new items. I really do not think you will see a 6.4 version of a 1500 anytime soon, and if we do I would wager it will match (performance) a stock 10.

9. SlvrSnake

SlvrSnake Full Access Member

This is just my two cents on this. Mopar is considering building another SRT truck, that I would say is certain, but is looking to see the reaction. Hence the Quick Silver concept. Now one a little further along with SRT crap all over it but unrefined is allowed to roam around in public and actually be driven by a magazine. They are testing the waters.

In many ways the last Ram SRT10 was a disaster for Mopar. Aside from sales, all of us who own these trucks know they have some flaws that should have been addressed but were not. It is a big sell to get the bean counters to pull the trigger on another performance truck after what happened the last go around.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

10. Randall488

Randall488 Full Access Member

The express is marketed to those who wanted a no frills hot rod pickup and its aimed at the performance oriented, to me it will be the platform for the next srt built ram.

11. 94rt10ohio

That is still true though. There are issues with the 4th gen as well. This is not a knock on the truck. If you dig these issues exist in all, or at least most, auto makers. I was actually driven away from Ford years ago due to an issue, and all it would have took was $500 from Ford and I would have kept buying them.... 5 trucks later I still have not bought another Ford.

As for the Express, it is a base truck with a Hemi, they wanted to open the market for the Hemi to more people (less qualified), you cannot touch a 4x4 Sport Ram for under 35K (in RC form) or 30K in RWD. You can get an Express for low 20s sticker in RWD. The Ram is the base from which a SRT would be born, not necessarily the Express. If you really want to compare a Sport would be closer to an SRT.... Color matched handles, mirrors, leather wrapped dash, leather seats, upgraded radio, ect. That is much closer to what an SRT would be, SRT has never been a no frills hot rod, but I am not saying that would be a bad idea. Keep the cost down is always a plus.

12. raymondwebb

raymondwebb Full Access Member

man that silver ram looks good beside your 10...bet you can tell a big difference in power though lol

13. 94rt10ohio

Just a bit, excpet when it is snowing, the Silver one moves much faster then :D

I had an 09 just like the Silver one with a few mods and tune. I had the 5.7 4x4 running 5.7 0-60, I was very happy with that given it was very minimal work to get there. The issue with the 12 (and 11 for that matter) is getting a tune is next to impossible. The major players have yet to break the encryption. To me that is a bunch of BS. I bought the truck, it is mine therefore I should have the right to change the program without jumping through hoops. I understand the warranty thing, but I, for the most part, do not care about warranty as much as getting more out of the truck.

14. Carlwalski

Carlwalski New Member Supporting Member

That is true but at the same time a little unfair. Show me any vehicle in the history of automobiles that haven't come out with flaws. There are none. Every vehicle to ever hit the road has and will continue to have "flaws", quirks or issues. ;) Nothing is perfect. Go to any vehicle forum and you'll see endless threads like "Help My _____ isn't working"? From Honda, Nissan, Ford & Dodge to Bentley, Ferrari and BMW. In short, everything is man made and nothing is or ever will be, flawless. :)

15. SlvrSnake

I was really speaking more about the QC like I have in regard to flaws. The 48RE IMHO should never have been put behind the Viper motor as it was put in the trucks. The valve bodys are garbage for the most part and caused a nightmare to say the least.

Of course any vehicle is going to have problems. But for me going through 2 transmissions, 4 TQ converters, 2 front pumps, an overdrive housing, and rear output bearing, denotes a flaw. Especially for a vehicle that right now only has 35K on it. And no, I did not abuse it and from what I read see pretty much the same issues with other QC trucks just from the posts on here over the years.

I think the RC were done pretty well. My Dad has one and it has had hardly any issues. It's a machine and nothing is perfect. But don't build a high performance vehicle and then tell the owner not to put their foot in it :confused:

I am not bitching, just saying they should have been a little better and I think that if Chrysler builds another SRT Ram, the same mistakes will not be made again. I love my truck and understand it for what it is. I have said before these trucks are like a hot GF. Nice to look at and you love being seen out with but a pain in the ass to live with.

16. bosshawg806

Not all quads have that issue did you buy yours new with 0 miles on it cuz the previous owner could have abused it. I bought my quad with 80,000 and the only problem was the infamous power steering hose and it still run like a champ.

17. caveman

caveman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And you are certain no one replaced the transmission before you got it?

18. SlvrSnake

I am the only owner 74 miles on odo when i bought it. You are right, not all had the issues but a good number did. Like I said. Not bitching. I love my truck. Otherwise I would've unloaded it long ago.

19. bosshawg806

yea its the original i know the previous owner

20. 94rt10ohio

The mistake was made when they started to care about towing when building a qc. Just went down hill from there. If they would have kept the eyes on the reason it started, a performance truck, not work truck, I think the qc would have been a better factory product.