Relentless Misfire! HELP

xNightRunnerx

Reaction score
I had a cylinder 4 misfire which lead me to change plugs, wires and coils with Tony's products and put OEM plugs back in (gapped to .045). The truck ran PERFECT for 2 days. Without warning, I started it cold one morning, and I could hear it wasn't running right again. I drove it all day and the following morning, sure enough, the CEL comes on and I have a cylinder 4 misfire AGAIN!

I swapped injectors 2 and 4, cleared the code and had the light come back on the next day, still showing code p0304 (cylinder 4 misfire). I have checked the plug wires and I'm getting spark. No engine noise change when I pulled cylinder 4 plug wire though while engine is running. I checked the voltage on injectors 2, 4 and 6 and got 13.65v roughly on all. I disconnected the injector connector on cylinder 4 with the engine running and go no change in engine noise either. I can't figure out wtf is going on with this thing. To go from perfect to crap again in a two day period just doesn't make any sense to me.

What are my next steps? I'm trying to do this without handing the dealer my wallet. I hate going to them to begin with because I always get the run around. I'd rather start here and fix it myself...thanks!

have ya ohmed the inj. harness, open/short ????

check the female pins for bein flat, at the inj. & coil pack.

one suggestion was to check harness for rubbin

can ya find a reader to hook up run some tests???

swap ECMs????

have ya ohmed the inj. harness, open/short ????

check the female pins for bein flat, at the inj. & coil pack.

one suggestion was to check harness for rubbin

can ya find a reader to hook up run some tests???

swap ECMs????

I haven't checked the ohm's on the harness yet no. That's really not my specialty. I could do that if I had some kind of diagram to the computer. Or I could try to chase them all back too I suppose. I'll check the harness for rubbing too. A resistance check could indicate rubbing if I'm getting a resistance increase.

Look at your harness as it routes along the R/S rear of the engine for rubbed harness or melted wires against the header.
That is what was wrong with my truck and now runs like a beast again.

I had three cylinders misfiring. Threw codes saying that the injectors were bad. So changed the injectors no change.... The wires TO the injectors were chewed through by a squirrel. Took the intake off soldered the wires and it fixed it good as new.

Are you sure you don't have a bad coil pack?

Could be the coil too!, alot of work to swap the oem one back in to check it!

I had a cylinder 4 misfire which lead me to change plugs, wires and coils with Tony's products and put OEM plugs back in (gapped to .045). The truck ran PERFECT for 2 days. Without warning, I started it cold one morning, and I could hear it wasn't running right again. I drove it all day and the following morning, sure enough, the CEL comes on and I have a cylinder 4 misfire AGAIN!

I swapped injectors 2 and 4, cleared the code and had the light come back on the next day, still showing code p0304 (cylinder 4 misfire). I have checked the plug wires and I'm getting spark. No engine noise change when I pulled cylinder 4 plug wire though while engine is running. I checked the voltage on injectors 2, 4 and 6 and got 13.65v roughly on all. I disconnected the injector connector on cylinder 4 with the engine running and go no change in engine noise either. I can't figure out wtf is going on with this thing. To go from perfect to crap again in a two day period just doesn't make any sense to me.

What are my next steps? I'm trying to do this without handing the dealer my wallet. I hate going to them to begin with because I always get the run around. I'd rather start here and fix it myself...thanks!
You guys think Tonys coil packs are garbage???

did you swap plugs around before the injectors? or did you do a compresion test?

havin bout the same prob.

bout half way to work she started feelin funny.

check engine light finally came on & checked codes. p0100, p0304 & p0309.

pulled #4 plug, bout .070 gap. went with the Pulstar iridium. the small tit was gone.

got a set of Champions & swapped out plugs. rest of the high dollar pulstars were in equally sad shape, bout 20k miles on them.

cranked her sounded great, test drove, great. went back to work.

way to da house, same thing. went WOT up a hill to see if it would blow it out.

got logged codes p0100, p0304, p0765 & p049c

& she pops/back fires alot more out the tail pipe on deccel & accel. is pretty smooth conciderin.

looks like #9 is fixed.

will check for the melted harness tomorrow, but i had tied that up years ago.

any other ideas/suggestions???

no unusal noises,

havin bout the same prob.

bout half way to work she started feelin funny.

check engine light finally came on & checked codes. p0100, p0304 & p0309.

pulled #4 plug, bout .070 gap. went with the Pulstar iridium. the small tit was gone.

got a set of Champions & swapped out plugs. rest of the high dollar pulstars were in equally sad shape, bout 20k miles on them.

cranked her sounded great, test drove, great. went back to work.

way to da house, same thing. went WOT up a hill to see if it would blow it out.

got logged codes p0100, p0304, p0765 & p049c

& she pops/back fires alot more out the tail pipe on deccel & accel. is pretty smooth conciderin.

looks like #9 is fixed.

will check for the melted harness tomorrow, but i had tied that up years ago.

any other ideas/suggestions???

no unusal noises,

Map sensor?

Map sensor?

leanin toward that. will check it tomorrow.

but also might be the WOT i did. puter seein this & this & not enough air flow for what the puter is wantin:dontknow:

Do you have access to a small inspection camera? You need to pull the plugs and inspect the combustion camber for debris. Can you post pics of the Iridium spark plugs? I am concerned with your description of them. Pull the valve covers and check your valve springs

Do you have access to a small inspection camera? You need to pull the plugs and inspect the combustion camber for debris. Can you post pics of the Iridium spark plugs? I am concerned with your description of them. Pull the valve covers and check your valve springs

I totally agree with you! Could be a busted valve spring for sure if its running like crap at all times and not getting better.
Champion RC12ECC all the way baby !

You also have me wondering about a bad crank/cam sensor too as mine threw random codes but not crank/cam sensor related but they caused issue. Your p0765 is prolly your reverse lockout solenoid. Drive down road and see if you can get to reverse gate. It'll do a quick grind letting you know, lol. Don't force it just slowly enter reverse while moving down the road at 20 or so.
Good luck Carl

well if i had had my head out of my ass would have found the prob before, swappin around plugs, swappin around inj., takin comp. readins, ohmin out everything i could find, cleanin grounds, takin temp. readins & whatever else:mad:

no spark on #4.

rechecked temps. the hot cyl. would look like a plasma ball & the cooler cyl. would have to listen for arcin just as wire unclipped.

i'm puttin my money on fryin the coil packs from usin the Plustar plugs.

my question is, can our style coil pack loose just one cyl.???:dontknow:

the matin cyl is #7 on the pack. its a high temp cyl. while #4 is dead:flowers:

well if i had had my head out of my ass would have found the prob before, swappin around plugs, swappin around inj., takin comp. readins, ohmin out everything i could find, cleanin grounds, takin temp. readins & whatever else:mad:

no spark on #4.

rechecked temps. the hot cyl. would look like a plasma ball & the cooler cyl. would have to listen for arcin just as wire unclipped.

i'm puttin my money on fryin the coil packs from usin the Plustar plugs.

my question is, can our style coil pack loose just one cyl.???:dontknow:

the matin cyl is #7 on the pack. its a high temp cyl. while #4 is dead:flowers:

Yessir they can loose a single coil from pack :(
Are they stock coils? Sure wire is good?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back