Removing oil pan

tommyg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it true that the cross member under the pan needs to be cut out to remove the pan? and then rewelded back on?
I was reviewing the shop manual and came across that, and it blew my mind that cutting on what in my mind is part of the frame is needed to remove something as simple as a pan.
I realize that pans are often not easy to get at in a lot of vehicles, but Ive never heard of cutting and welding. Sometimes those crossmembers are bolt-ons.

Wow! I hope not! I know I've had to unbolt the motor mounts before on one of my previous rides to raise the motor in order to have enough clearance to remove one once but never cut anything and reweld.

So basically u are grinding down the tack welds and then rewelding?

yessir, it dont really do alot, jsut crosses under the oil pan, jsut grind off the welds unbolt , it drops down, then jsut tack weld it back up

Dam Tony! You are so smart!!!!! :D is there anything u don't know!? Lol

i think thats just on the '04 models.

mine is an '05 & its bolted in

is it true that the cross member under the pan needs to be cut out to remove the pan? and then rewelded back on?
I was reviewing the shop manual and came across that, and it blew my mind that cutting on what in my mind is part of the frame is needed to remove something as simple as a pan.
I realize that pans are often not easy to get at in a lot of vehicles, but Ive never heard of cutting and welding. Sometimes those crossmembers are bolt-ons.

I don't know what year or model you have. It looks like a 2005 QC in the photo :)))
The 2005 QC crossmembers are both bolted and welded.
Some 2006 Reg Cabs are just bolted.

It can be a real treat to pull a pan on the trucks (like for a cam swap). You would think that pulling off the crossmember would make the job easy (but it doesn't).

The Viper cars are pretty easy however...

Ronnie

I don't know what year or model you have. It looks like a 2005 QC in the photo :)))
The 2005 QC crossmembers are both bolted and welded.
Some 2006 Reg Cabs are just bolted.

It can be a real treat to pull a pan on the trucks (like for a cam swap). You would think that pulling off the crossmember would make the job easy (but it doesn't).

The Viper cars are pretty easy however...

Ronnie

hush up and go back to shoveling snow ya snow bird!!!:aetsch::itsme:

hush up and go back to shoveling snow ya snow bird!!!:aetsch::itsme:

I'll be in Orlando from the 27th of December to Jan 2nd (or so).
I might go and visit Roe Racing but for sure I'll check out the rockets and stuff...

Do Orlandonians even know what snow is?? :aetsch::dontknow::aetsch::p:D

P.S. Do you live on here????

I'll be in Orlando from the 27th of December to Jan 2nd (or so).
I might go and visit Roe Racing but for sure I'll check out the rockets and stuff...

Do Orlandonians even know what snow is?? :aetsch::dontknow::aetsch::p:D

P.S. Do you live on here????

LOLOL you best visit jts venom performance and yes yes I do good sir:aetsch:

LOLOL you best visit jts venom performance and yes yes I do good sir:aetsch:

You must, but I'm only 30,649 posts behind you (look in the rearview...I'm comin')

JTS....Who??? Never Heard of Them.....:D:D:p:p:D:D:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

A 9 hour drive. Maybe a rocket???...Hmmm...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back