Riddle me this...?

tank86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to try and explain this in detail without leaving anything out (i tend to do that).

My truck acts extremely weird from time to time. If i start it up after it's been sitting for a few hours everything is fine.

When it has been warmed up, and parked for a few minutes or an hour, and started up it acts odd. The exhaust rattles against the crossmember a little bit at start up, but stops after a while. Then the A/F ratio is all over the place. I go to drive it and it "hesitates" sometimes. Acts really odd until it has been running for a while.

I don't have any CEL for a misfire. I drove it all the way to Myrtle Beach from Goldsboro NC (about 3 hours) without any issues. I have 2 CELs... One for Evap, and the other for engine cold too long or whatever (but they always come on, and this is only a recent prob)

Like I said, this only happens after I have been driving, turn it off for a quick stop and get back in and start it up. I went to leave the store today, had it in first, and was giving it gas in first... and nothing... kept giving it more gas and finally picked itself up. Just seems throttle response is shit, and she wants to bog down.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I have something similar. I wonder if it is the IAT sensor getting heat-soaked and it is pulling a shit load of timing, until it finally picks up the right temperature.

whats the water temp doin???

what temp stat ya runnin???

if its 170+, sounds like a stuck open stat

whats your oil temp???

Last edited:
170 degree T stat. oil temp is always right on the same line as the water temp.

Oh man, I really don't wanna do the T-Stat swap.. I'll never get my ham hands on that 4th bolt.

Oh man, I really don't wanna do the T-Stat swap.. I'll never get my ham hands on that 4th bolt.

It's not that bad and possibly your issue and I'd put a 180 in it. Be ready for a cam/crank sensor it sounds to me honestly. The fourth bolt isn't bad man

It's not that bad and possibly your issue and I'd put a 180 in it. Be ready for a cam/crank sensor it sounds to me honestly. The fourth bolt isn't bad man

After you mentioned Cam/Crank sensor I searched for other threads in the forum and see a lot of people experienced exactly what I couldn't explain.

1. Where are these sensors on an 04?
2. Scott, why are you up so damn late?

I just read up on both possible cam/crank sensor failures. Seems spot on (terrible fuel economy being one, considering I drive like a grandma)... My shit doesn't idle weird at all, but the rest seem legit. If I buy the cam sensor and take it to a local mechanic, what are the chances they will know how to install it properly without shearing it?

Last edited:
I just read up on both possible cam/crank sensor failures. Seems spot on (terrible fuel economy being one, considering I drive like a grandma)... My shit doesn't idle weird at all, but the rest seem legit. If I buy the cam sensor and take it to a local mechanic, what are the chances they will know how to install it properly without shearing it?

Slim to none if they don't have experience with installing one previously.

I can guide you through it bud. Start with crank sensor at rear passenger side of engine by tranny. Easy install with no special instructions. Remove a bolt, remove sensor, replace with new, replace bolt.

My truck used to do pretty much the same thing. If i drove it some where and let it sit for an hr and started it back up it would run like shit. All i had to do was cycle the key and it would run fine. I cleaned the IAC and it seemed to fix it.

Ok, crankshaft sensor installed. Drove it around... Felt better. Then I parked it for 10 mins and got back in. Went into first gear.. Hesitated, so I pushed through it. Just slugged away... Heard two small pop pop, then it picked back up. But everytime I slow down or stop it's sluggish as hell.

Changed Cam Sensor. Drove around town. Did fine. Got back to my apartment. Parked it, started it back up. Idle fine, AF ratio bouncing around... a whole lot of vibration. in the cab it felt like i was riding a mechanical bull.

I don't understand. If it sits for a while, drive it around it is perfect. It isn't until I stop, let it sit for a few mins and start back up that it's a pain in the ass.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back