Roe Intercooler

avmech said:
for low end puch my Novi will produce just as much punch as a Roe on the bottem and will produce more at the top end.
Every one keeps saying this, but I think it is just a matter of time. The paxton has been out a while, and there are several monster builds based on it. However, there are several monster builds being done on the ROE now. I think the day of equality is fast approaching.

Sean Roe is his own man. He is a designer and he got a wild hair with the TMTS...it was a challenge, and distraction from his work on Vipers but not totally out of his comfort zone. I would bet that if he does major development work in the near future it will be on Vipers not our trucks...heck if I was him that would be my business decision. We are very lucky that he got that wild hair...but our trucks are toast...no more are being built as opposed to the continuation of the Viper...where would you put your research and development efforts?

We owe Sean a huge debt of gratitude. But to think he is going to put his business future into our few trucks is asking way too much. From a business perspective I would not be surprised if he is thinking about moving his expertise into more commercially rewarding efforts in applications for some of the more traditional performance cars...like mustangs, vettes, or possibly even European exotics.

But I could be wrong...I often am...

Someone start a group buy or a poll for a Roe Intercooler. It should probably have the following options. With the results, I'm sure Sean would be able to decide whether or not it would make sense financially. What do you think?

Below $500.00

$500.00 to $750.00

$750.00 to $1000.00

$1000.00 +

avmech said:
ok ive only talked to a couple of people that have the Roe, and they all run the meth as a knock suppressor not a performance up grade. I'm not knockin the Roe at all different strokes for differt folks, but as for low end puch my Novi will produce just as much punch as a Roe on the bottem and will produce more at the top end. all the fun is from 3k and up, and No its not an everyday driver but i do put about 200 miles a week on her, but no snow, its like driving a bull in a china shop at that point.

The meth pushes the "knock zone" and allows the timing to be advanced a few extra degrees. Without the meth, the timing can be left retarded a few degrees and then you can also run knock-free. You are right as far as the meth not being an upgrade on itself, but it creates an environment that allows the tune to be more aggressive.

As far as producing bottom end torque, like you say, the Novi just gets started at 3k with a sweet spot at 5k. The Roe doesn't have the same peaky sweet spot at the top, but the wild torque starts way below 3k. On a daily driver you will "feel" the Roe much more often than you would the Novi.

It's two completely different applications, not saying that one system is better than the other, just that the Novi is better suited for running wide open. That is what I based my decision on: I almost never go to the track and the truck is a daily driver, I wanted the system that would give me the biggest bang for the buck as far as having the power available under most normal driving conditions. If I was a weekend racer or even if I spent most of my time on the highway I would have probably installed a Paxton.

Another minor thing that made me wonder about the Paxton was that it uses the crancase oil for lubrication... at the time nobody would answer my questions about the possibility of dirty oil damaging the Novi shaft, and I've heard rumors that it had. The top-mount lube system is independent and self contained.

you are correct about the meth, but why not just make a no maintiance intercooler for that instead of using the meth. just kind of sounds like and after thought on the part of the developer. I am not saying there is any thing wrong with it, just more of a hasel. Also as far as peaky goes its not like a turbo peak, you really cant feel the lag, with just a blip of the throttle the tires are screaming for mearcy, cant imagen what it must be like when you hit it.

As far as the oil issue goes, I guess it could happen but if you take care of your oil and filter on a regular basis I dont fore see any problems, I guess you can install another filter along the system to prevent that.

avmech said:
you are correct about the meth, but why not just make a no maintiance intercooler for that instead of using the meth. just kind of sounds like and after thought on the part of the developer.
Meth is a proven means of chemical cooling. It has been around a lot longer than our trucks have. So it was an on the shelf solution to allow tuners to push our trucks a little further with the tune. The cooling is just a benefit.

I would love to see a cooler for my system though. Maybe a smart fabricator will step up and make it. But as I see it, it will require cutting the hood. As mine sits right now it is just about touching in all directions. Till then, I will investigate more of these chemical cooling methods for track use. My road use is already good. I have more torque than the road and my tires can take.

guys I am going to put a lil 2 cents in here and pisss all you off just to let you know:D

The Roe supercharger is too small for these engines, they will probably max out around 700hp with an engine build, they simply are too small for the cubic inches that we have. Now with NOS more power is possible.

But most of you are correct, Sean Roe is "very" intelligent. He built an inexpensive power adder that is super simple to install, will not hurt the engine and give you plenty of power for a very low price, and its very dependable.

But you have to remember, to make big numbers it takes more than a intercooler, a fuel pump or so on. It takes big dollars to do it correctly and make it slightly dependable. You really need to be happy with what you have and look for small improvemnts.

Just take a look at 700odessy and his truck, a full engine build, rods, mains, pistons, a huge set of killer heads, tried a couple different tb's, numerous hours of tuning, a fuel system, different sets and sizes of injectors, and he ended up with 700hp, and ya'll are worried about an intercooler?

Gains with an intercooler that will work with the Roe are goin to be minimal, why do you think Roe isnt going to develop an intercooler? Because it simply wouldnt be worth the effort.

You want more power Prof? Have your heads ported, or get a set of strykers, put on some roller rockers, build the bottom end, spend your money more wisely than worrying about an intercooler , it just isnt going to give you the effect you are looking for .

but if you have to have an intercooler, I talked with Jack about it this evening, contact whipple, they have allready developed an intercooler that works with this style supercharger. But again realize that the size of this intercooler is going to run out of breath at a certain point trying to feed 500 cubic inches;)

now goodnight, going to give my pillow some head, so somebody call me a dumbass whilst i be asleep please:p :D :elefant:

Stinker said:
guys I am going to put a lil 2 cents in here and pisss all you off just to let you know:D

The Roe supercharger is too small for these engines, they will probably max out around 700hp with an engine build, they simply are too small for the cubic inches that we have. Now with NOS more power is possible.

So where does the paxton max out at?

What is the volume limit for the ROE? Paxton?

Stinker said:
The Roe supercharger is too small for these engines, they will probably max out around 700hp with an engine build.

...He built an inexpensive power adder that is super simple to install, will not hurt the engine and give you plenty of power for a very low price, and its very dependable.

Gains with an intercooler that will work with the Roe are goin to be minimal...

...But again realize that the size of this intercooler is going to run out of breath at a certain point trying to feed 500 cubic inches;)

Agree on all counts.

The Roe SC is just big enough to safely max out the bottom end potential of the stock engine.

If someone still wants to risk it and push the envelope a little further, rather than an expensive/exotic intercooler, there are much cheaper and easier solutions such as installing a smaller pulley.

Personally I am extremely satisfied with my basic setup, I have more fun on a daily basis than most humans should be allowed :D :burnout:

Last edited:
tinygiants said:
So where does the paxton max out at?

What is the volume limit for the ROE? Paxton?

Gary is the king of paxtons, he can answer it better bro, but the paxton works like a turbo almost, it is more of a certrifugal type blower therefore the more it spins the more power it is capable of making.
Where as the Roe is a twin screw, its pressure is set by the blower itself and how much air it is capable of pushing.

And Mike is so correct, the Roe does exaclty what it was designed for , to give you tons and tons of dependable fun:rock:
If I was to have a truck for jsut town driving and a trip now nd then to the track , and something that is affordable and I knew I wouldnt ever have to mess with it, the Roe would be the answer hands down. Slap it on in a few hours, plop inthe card and haul ass:D

I jsut want to see someone polish one, now that would be the tits!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back