Roe Intercooler

belgiumbarry said:
are there connections on the ROE blower to lead the air first trough a cooler :dontknow:

and as i understood it , it's not the pressure but the amount of air that's pumped which give cooling... so at WOT , lot's of air, alot cooling...it is, less heating upp... :dontknow:
The air is sucked through the TB then it goes into the compressor. I believe the cooler Eddie has is used before the TB.:dontknow:

The heat we are looking to remove is the heat generated by the compression of the air. As the air is compressed, it gets hotter. Likewise as it expands it gets cooler. At the low compression levels we see on a stock ROE kit, the amount of heat added to the charge is minimal.

I believe ROE comments about heat at low boost is related to the amount of heat retained in the compressor as a result of mechanical operation. At higher boost levels (stock set up) that heat is dissipaited by the volume of air pumped through it.

yes, but you cannot cool air before the compressor... ( suction side ) ... this air has the ambient temperature , so you can't cool it without either chemical ( CO2 ) either heat pump systems... ( like a fridge , airco.... ):dontknow:

belgiumbarry said:
yes, but you cannot cool air before the compressor... ( suction side ) ... this air has the ambient temperature , so you can't cool it without either chemical ( CO2 ) either heat pump systems... ( like a fridge , airco.... ):dontknow:
True statement.

That is why I think the cooler found by RAMFROMHELL shows potential for us ROE owners.

tinygiants said:
The air is sucked through the TB then it goes into the compressor. I believe the cooler Eddie has is used before the TB.:dontknow:

The heat we are looking to remove is the heat generated by the compression of the air. As the air is compressed, it gets hotter. Likewise as it expands it gets cooler. At the low compression levels we see on a stock ROE kit, the amount of heat added to the charge is minimal.

I believe ROE comments about heat at low boost is related to the amount of heat retained in the compressor as a result of mechanical operation. At higher boost levels (stock set up) that heat is dissipaited by the volume of air pumped through it.
Actually the cooler he has cools the intake manifold. The pipe wraps around to the back of the intake

finally got some pics taken please excuse the dirty motor. been real busy lately. and i added a pic of the cat engines in our trucks. this is what should have come from dc...lol

Attachments

• roe1.jpg
    roe1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 91
  • roe2.jpg
    roe2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 74
  • roe3.jpg
    roe3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 82
  • roe4.jpg
    roe4.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 86
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Maybe Roe can make an intercooler like this. This pic is off the Roush website. This would definitely work on our application. It seems the additional height needed would be minimal. What do you think?

clip_image002.gif

Take a look at the Magnuson intercooler on page 106 of the December Issue of Hot Rod Magazine...it looks to be about two inches high...something like it will eventually be made for our engines...IMO...great article by the way.

Would any of these work?

icebox.jpg

The NEW Air to "Ice Barrel" intercooler uses PWR's revolutionary seamless round leading edge tube design with internal fin, which incorperates a straight through design improving heat transfer for less pressure drop. The New Air to "Ice Barrel" utilises a unique straight through tube arrangement like the "Liquid to Air" Barrel design, however the "Ice Barrel" is designed specifically to run ICE and incorperates wide 15.8mm Tube Pitch, a Finless Ice compartment, sealed access lid and CO2 Breather fiting which gives this unit a unique design snd the first available in the market.

PWR Performance Products are making full use of the laws of physics, developing several of the most efficient intercoolers in the world. We understand that standard assemblies will not fit in some applications. Therefore, we have introduced the DOWN FLOW Universal Intercooler assemblies. Incorporating the same core and quality welds you have another option to your custom setups.

barrel.jpg

The PWR Liquid to Air Barrel Intercooler is a world first exclusive in its design for the industry. The Radical cylindrical shape was designed for drag and street applications, providing maximum cooling, airflow and performance efficiencies. The system requires no ambient (external) airflow, which enables the unit to bemounted as close to the manifold as possible,
reducing turbo lag and providing maximum performance.

.....Barrel Kits Include:
.......- Electric Water Pump with 3/4" Barbed Fittings
.......- Small Radiator:
.......- 4" Kits: with 9" Fan and Small Radiator (Small Radiator Demensions L=11.5" W=10" H=1.5")
.......- 6" Kits: with 10" Fan and Large Radiator ( Large Radiator Demensions L=13" W=12" H=1.5")
.......- Billet Inline Filler with Cap
**.. Temperature Drop From In to Out Can Range From 45% - 100%

Didn't someone have a intercooler that was somehow attached to their a/c and it gave them 30 to 40 seconds of increased performance maybe the lighting?

The prototype lightning had a superchilled air tank. The tank is supposively cooled by the a/c and is activated by a microswitch. It was designed to last a full 1/4 mile run and suppose to replenish itself within 30 min. If I'm not mistaken it added 50 hp.

Wouldn't cooling the air before the supercharger still has some benefits. There are some manufactures claiming 50 to 70 degree temperature drops with the use of their intercoolers. Wouldn't this mean that the air going into the engine would have the same effect? Meaning 50 to 70 degrees cooler after the supercharger.

yeah problem with that is you don't generate the hate till after compression using an inter cooler before the compression you are simply cooling outside air with outside air so no real cooling is happening. in that case you are better off finding a way to make like a ram air setup to force outside air into the filter instead. if i am correct.

If you cool the air BEFORE the SC and the SC raises the Temp X degrees I would say that the Air temp entering the combustion chamber would still be lower than if you did nothing at all

thats what i am saying you are taking outside air and cooling it with outside air if its 70 degrees out you are taking 70 degree's in and cooling it with 70 degrees so what cooling are you doing?

in a normal intercooler setup you would take in the 70 degree air and then it would get compressed and make it say 100 degree air and then it goes to the intercooler and you are cooling that 100 degree air with the 70 degree thus cooling but prior i just don't see a difference unless i am looking at this wrong some how but i don't think i am.

Last edited:
redice2 said:
thats what i am saying you are taking outside air and cooling it with outside air if its 70 degrees out you are taking 70 degree's in and cooling it with 70 degrees so what cooling are you doing?

in a normal intercooler setup you would take in the 70 degree air and then it would get compressed and make it say 100 degree air and then it goes to the intercooler and you are cooling that 100 degree air with the 70 degree thus cooling but prior i just don't see a difference unless i am looking at this wrong some how but i don't think i am.

You're looking at it wrong for a couple of reasons.

First, the intercooler shown by blackviper uses CO2 to cool the air, which would run the incoming air throug sub-zero temperature coils.

Second, heat does not get created during compression, the heat remains the same (Remember, heat is energy and energy cannot be created nor destroyed) but the volume of the air is reduced through compression, the same amount of heat in a smaller volume translates into higher temperature.

Whether you remove the heat energy before or after the air goes through the supercharger makes no difference. The trick is how you remove that heat. The intake CO2 setup shown above will be extremely effective at removing that heat.

speednut said:
whoosh, that went right over my head.:confused:

Yup, I read it three times and need to read it again...but my head hurts...this thinking shit is for the birds.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back