Roe supercharger

What's the most boost anyone has pushed thru a roe ??? Or anyone know what the max boost ?!?

I will add my 2 cents to the original post. Since boost from the Roe or any supercharger is based on air flow (or better yet the restriction of airflow) there are a lot of variables that will change the boost pressure. Take a supercharged engine and just port the heads and you will lose boost pressure. Add a free flowing exhaust and you will lose more boost. All of this is due to less restriction in getting the air forced into and out of the engine. The real limitation of the Roe is how fast you can spin it. The speed of the rotors, inlet and oulet size and supercharger size will dictate how much air is forced into the engine and depending on the restrictions this will result in the boost. There is also the issue that at some point the supercharger will heat the air to a point that it will not be efficient. Inter coolers are used to offset this temperature but at this point the only inter cooler options for the Roe are custom units or air/air units that are really not in the intake path when the engine is exposed to boost. If you want to see a Roe perform to its max you will have to calculate the pulley size and oversized crank pulley size that will spin it at it's max rpm and then find a way to keep the supercharged air cool.

What's the most boost anyone has pushed thru a roe ??? Or anyone know what the max boost ?!?

I will add my 2 cents to the original post. Since boost from the Roe or any supercharger is based on air flow (or better yet the restriction of airflow) there are a lot of variables that will change the boost pressure. Take a supercharged engine and just port the heads and you will lose boost pressure. Add a free flowing exhaust and you will lose more boost. All of this is due to less restriction in getting the air forced into and out of the engine. The real limitation of the Roe is how fast you can spin it. The speed of the rotors, inlet and oulet size and supercharger size will dictate how much air is forced into the engine and depending on the restrictions this will result in the boost. There is also the issue that at some point the supercharger will heat the air to a point that it will not be efficient. Inter coolers are used to offset this temperature but at this point the only inter cooler options for the Roe are custom units or air/air units that are really not in the intake path when the engine is exposed to boost. If you want to see a Roe perform to its max you will have to calculate the pulley size and oversized crank pulley size that will spin it at it's max rpm and then find a way to keep the supercharged air cool.

Ding - Ding - Ding! Correct answer! :)
The maximum RPM the blower can be spun continuously is 16,000, though it can take short pulls up to 18,000.
We made the kit to run in the range of 5-10 psi (10,000-13,000 RPM) with a standard engine configuration, though it can be run higher without any modification to the intake or air distribution tray.
Water / methanol injection is the most efficient way to cool it above 8 psi.
I don't get on the forums much (time limited), but will do my best to answer questions when possible.

Sean

Ding - Ding - Ding! Correct answer! :)
The maximum RPM the blower can be spun continuously is 16,000, though it can take short pulls up to 18,000.
We made the kit to run in the range of 5-10 psi (10,000-13,000 RPM) with a standard engine configuration, though it can be run higher without any modification to the intake or air distribution tray.
Water / methanol injection is the most efficient way to cool it above 8 psi.
I don't get on the forums much (time limited), but will do my best to answer questions when possible.

Sean

And what would you know about Roe superchargers? :rolleyes: :D:aetsch:

You run out of airflow through the intake to the SC between 12-13 psi, around 4800 RPMs, possibly lower depending on setup, in your 1 to 1 gear, where you are really pushing and pulling some air.

We would need a larger intake to the SC plenum, (not to the throttle body), which would require moving the SC or cutting out part of the engine bay ;).

Blower hood? :D

The clearance is not the hood it is the cowl. The rear of the intake feeding the top of the supercharger is really close to the cowl. The engine would need to be dropped or the cowl cut in order to get a larger volume under the SC. Or if the ignition coils could be relocated and the manifold redesigned you might be able to get more volume without raising the supercharger.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

thanks for the reply bro. good info :rock:

to answer you question on the "JMB' thread (i didnt want to HO it up)

the air to air front mount intercooler works well - it lowers the air temps while the supercharger is not under load

i have also fabricated another intercooler for when the supercharger is under load. i have not yet finished/perfected the design so more info will follow soon - were still testing the unit :rock:

so i will have (2) intercoolers on the truck - 1 for just driving around to lower the air temp (of course the other intercooler will also be working on the 1st stage as it's a root style intercooler) and the 2nd intercooler for run under boost

the front mount intercooler is useless under boost - but help when i am driving around town :)

if you PM your E-mail address i can send you log's of what kinda numbers i am showing with the intercooled app.

thanks

Chris

the front mount intercooler is useless under boost

That sucks, I suppose it's because it's air to air which isn't all that great, so will you be running air to water for your second intercooler? Do you have an air intake temp gauge in cab that you watch and is it worth having one on an FI vehicle? Could you just run a cold air intake to get colder air maybe from down by a wheel or something? Sorry for all the questions but I come here to learn as much about these trucks as possible...

Also I was curious if the JTS venom hood provides a weight reduction and/or any under hood cooling benefits over stock or is it just for looks.... which would be justifiable because they look pretty damn sweet. Lastly do you know if it's compatible with a Volant intake or would I need to ask Tony?

Last edited:
The clearance is not the hood it is the cowl. The rear of the intake feeding the top of the supercharger is really close to the cowl. The engine would need to be dropped or the cowl cut in order to get a larger volume under the SC. Or if the ignition coils could be relocated and the manifold redesigned you might be able to get more volume without raising the supercharger.

Untitled.png

Oh I see, that does look restrictive and I don't see an easy way of improving it, according to the post Sean put up though the max RPM that the blower can operate is 16,000 RPM with short pulls of up to 18,000, so you could run it at 16,000 for a street truck or 18,000 for strip only I think. What I'm trying to get at is that I bet that the system can still flow as much as the blower can put out, but maybe it is possible to re work it for better flow for improved results somehow.

Exactly, thanks for posting a pic.

That sucks, I suppose it's because it's air to air which isn't all that great, so will you be running air to water for your second intercooler? Do you have an air intake temp gauge in cab that you watch and is it worth having one on an FI vehicle? Could you just run a cold air intake to get colder air maybe from down by a wheel or something? Sorry for all the questions but I come here to learn as much about these trucks as possible...

Also I was curious if the JTS venom hood provides a weight reduction and/or any under hood cooling benefits over stock or is it just for looks.... which would be justifiable because they look pretty damn sweet. Lastly do you know if it's compatible with a Volant intake or would I need to ask Tony?

the air to air is not a problem for the front mount intercooler - with the "by-pass" setup it only work while the SC is not under boost, the reason for this is:

The SC builds heat as the air bypasses. When the air goes through the SC once, under boost, it actually runs a little cooler.

The SC has internal compression, so the bypass cooler can keep temps lower on higher boost (10+ psi) applications where the blower is spinning faster.

Once you’re at boost, it’s closed and doesn’t matter.

yes i have a gauge that read the temp from the PCM - an EGS system

36fae84d.jpg

sure it best to get the air flow to the SC from out side the engine bay, with the SRT's tho this is not an easy task. something else i am working on as well to setup a RAM air system using the JTS hood.

the JTS hood - i am unsure about the weight differance, i think it will work with a volant CAI - Tony might want to jump in and let you know

and yes - the ROOT style intercooler witll be air to water intercooled.

thanks,

Chris

PS no need to say sorry for questions - that what this forum is about - and why we are all here :rock:

i Fail to see the logic or the benefit from this "no boost" intercooler. when the supercharger is under a bypass or no boost condition ,it won't be creating any heat. The heat is created once it starts to compress air. Please explain where this heat is coming from that you need to bypass intercool.
Getting the intake air temps from the PCM isn't accurate either. you want to measure the air temp in the manifold , under the SC . then you can measure air density accurately.

i Fail to see the logic or the benefit from this "no boost" intercooler. when the supercharger is under a bypass or no boost condition ,it won't be creating any heat. The heat is created once it starts to compress air. Please explain where this heat is coming from that you need to bypass intercool.
Getting the intake air temps from the PCM isn't accurate either. you want to measure the air temp in the manifold , under the SC . then you can measure air density accurately.

Good point about where this air is coming from to cool the bypass cooler?? obviously it has to come in though the intake but im not understanding how it benifits very much??? I found that the issues with the ROE is in 3rd,4th gear when your under full boost and load is when the detonation issues and the heat build up all starts!

the air to air is not a problem for the front mount intercooler - with the "by-pass" setup it only work while the SC is not under boost, the reason for this is:

The SC builds heat as the air bypasses. When the air goes through the SC once, under boost, it actually runs a little cooler.

The SC has internal compression, so the bypass cooler can keep temps lower on higher boost (10+ psi) applications where the blower is spinning faster.

Once you’re at boost, it’s closed and doesn’t matter.

yes i have a gauge that read the temp from the PCM - an EGS system

36fae84d.jpg

sure it best to get the air flow to the SC from out side the engine bay, with the SRT's tho this is not an easy task. something else i am working on as well to setup a RAM air system using the JTS hood.

the JTS hood - i am unsure about the weight differance, i think it will work with a volant CAI - Tony might want to jump in and let you know

and yes - the ROOT style intercooler witll be air to water intercooled.

thanks,

Chris

PS no need to say sorry for questions - that what this forum is about - and why we are all here :rock:

Where is the sensor located though? Its not in the lower intake is it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back