Roe supercharger

i Fail to see the logic or the benefit from this "no boost" intercooler. when the supercharger is under a bypass or no boost condition ,it won't be creating any heat. The heat is created once it starts to compress air. Please explain where this heat is coming from that you need to bypass intercool.
Getting the intake air temps from the PCM isn't accurate either. you want to measure the air temp in the manifold , under the SC . then you can measure air density accurately.

I think you are correct that the supercharger is not compressing the air when the bypass valve is open but I think there is still some heat developed. Maybe just from the friction of the SC rotors and the fact that the aluminum manifold is picking up heat from the engine. I do have a temp sensor tied directly into the manifold and there is a temperature differance between what it reads and what the PCM shows for the ambient air temp. I also noticed last week when it was in the 40s and the truck was started cold that the PCM ambient temp and the manifold air temp were very close with the manifold temp being slightly higher. This makes me believe that the SC does heat the air some . As the engine warmed up the manifold temp and PCM ambient temp spread became greater which leads me to believe that the manifold air is picking up temperature from the engine. Whether the intercooler makes a differance is still a question but I do have plans of installing one to see if there is a benefit.

That sucks, I suppose it's because it's air to air which isn't all that great, so will you be running air to water for your second intercooler? Do you have an air intake temp gauge in cab that you watch and is it worth having one on an FI vehicle? Could you just run a cold air intake to get colder air maybe from down by a wheel or something? Sorry for all the questions but I come here to learn as much about these trucks as possible...

Also I was curious if the JTS venom hood provides a weight reduction and/or any under hood cooling benefits over stock or is it just for looks.... which would be justifiable because they look pretty damn sweet. Lastly do you know if it's compatible with a Volant intake or would I need to ask Tony?

I think the Venom hood is pretty much the same weight if not more than the stock hood. The fiberglass is pretty thick. I am sure that it can dissipate under hood heat better since it has vented louvers that are open to the engine compartment. I test fit mine and drove around for a day and the one thing I did notice was the supercharger whine is louder with the fiberglass hood.

i have also fabricated another intercooler for when the supercharger is under load. i have not yet finished/perfected the design so more info will follow soon - were still testing the unit :rock:

Chris. I would be very interested in how you plan on doing this. I have seen others on the forum place an intercooler under the SC by raising the top panel of the manifold. I would like to move the other direction and use more of the space in the engine valley. Looking at some of the newer intercooler designs that take less space and may be able to fit in the manifold without raising it. Something like this

intercooler_800.jpg

Under the intake we have what about three or four inches? But the intake for the heads are right there under the supercharger.

Chris. I would be very interested in how you plan on doing this. I have seen others on the forum place an intercooler under the SC by raising the top panel of the manifold. I would like to move the other direction and use more of the space in the engine valley. Looking at some of the newer intercooler designs that take less space and may be able to fit in the manifold without raising it. Something like this

intercooler_800.jpg

Thats an interesting idea,how does it work? cools with water?:dontknow:

Under the intake we have what about three or four inches? But the intake for the heads are right there under the supercharger.

Not exactly sure how much room exactly. If the coils are moved there is still a knock sensor or two but I would think I could get at least 2 inches. The air path would have to flow through the intercoolers and make a sharp bend back up towards the intake ports. It will probably take alot of head scratching and test fitting to get everything laid out. Hoping to have a spare engine soon so I can start some rough fitting of parts.

Thats an interesting idea,how does it work? cools with water?:dontknow:

Yes. Will require a heat exhanger to be mounted up front and an electric pump/tank to circulate the coolant. These are the same intercoolers that the new Corvette's are using and the SMS supercharger that they sell for Mustangs and Challengers. Cores can be configured in several ways to get the water distribution however you like.

coolant_routing.jpg

airslots.jpg

Where is the sensor located though? Its not in the lower intake is it?

it's located on the back of the supercharger plate/manifold - so it reads the temp in the intake not the filter / TB or upper plenum

Yes. Will require a heat exhanger to be mounted up front and an electric pump/tank to circulate the coolant. These are the same intercoolers that the new Corvette's are using and the SMS supercharger that they sell for Mustangs and Challengers. Cores can be configured in several ways to get the water distribution however you like.

coolant_routing.jpg

airslots.jpg

Thats some pretty smart thinking!I dont see why it wouldnt work with a ROE! too bad I didnt know about them fall of 2010:( lol

Did anyone think of using a Kenne Bell supercharger with the inlet in the back. This would free up space to raise the blower up without hitting anything. I'd love to fab up a setup with a kenne bell or turbo.....hardest part would be tuning it. I use VEMS on my VW......easy to use and can do pretty much everything. Probably to just do bolt-ons on the ram.......would take a ton of money to just get it close to my vdub :( ................but so much fun to drive :)

Did anyone think of using a Kenne Bell supercharger with the inlet in the back. This would free up space to raise the blower up without hitting anything. I'd love to fab up a setup with a kenne bell or turbo.....hardest part would be tuning it. I use VEMS on my VW......easy to use and can do pretty much everything. Probably to just do bolt-ons on the ram.......would take a ton of money to just get it close to my vdub :( ................but so much fun to drive :)

I dont know if Kenne Belle uses SC this large but Lysholm, the manufacturer that Roe used to use has a rear fed 3.3l unit. I'm not sure why Sean Roe chose the top mount since his viper SC uses the rear entry. all I know is that when the hood is open and the supercharger intake is prominently sticking up with the air filter tucked right under the hood scoop people's mouth drop.

I dont know if Kenne Belle uses SC this large but Lysholm, the manufacturer that Roe used to use has a rear fed 3.3l unit. I'm not sure why Sean Roe chose the top mount since his viper SC uses the rear entry. all I know is that when the hood is open and the supercharger intake is prominently sticking up with the air filter tucked right under the hood scoop people's mouth drop.

I think Kenne Bell makes 2L, 3L, and 4L units. Might be the key to free up space for a good intercooler. I really wouldn't want to run boost without one.

I don't think rear intake sc would make much difference unless he sc could be moved forward a little. That might create other distribution issues. It might be hard to see from the pics but the top of the sc is very close to the top of the cowl.

Last edited:
I think the Roe sounds great, but the Paxton has the advantages of coming intercooled out of the box, and it is supposed to have better traction off the line since it isn't boosting as much until high RPM. I hear a lot of guys are unhappy with the top end performance of the Roe, but that both systems are great it just depends on where you want to make power.

I think the Roe sounds great, but the Paxton has the advantages of coming intercooled out of the box, and it is supposed to have better traction off the line since it isn't boosting as much until high RPM. I hear a lot of guys are unhappy with the top end performance of the Roe, but that both systems are great it just depends on where you want to make power.

I love the roe - and I like the performance of the tmts supercharger.

Yea intercooled is nice but also can be done with a roe - traction lol I love the fact that at 60 mph just crusin and you stomp on it you can smoke the tires right off the truck

With the roe the power / torque is instant and right at your finger tip !

IMHO

I love the roe - and I like the performance of the tmts supercharger.

Yea intercooled is nice but also can be done with a roe - traction lol I love the fact that at 60 mph just crusin and you stomp on it you can smoke the tires right off the truck

With the roe the power / torque is instant and right at your finger tip !

IMHO

I agree 100% and part of my long term plan when I get a truck is a Roe setup. How is it for freeway passing in 6th?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back