rpm ?

Our trucks run out of breath past 57/5800 rpm. Just making noise if you go to the red line. And, yes, I do!!:D:D

5500 is plenty.
When I am racing I try to powershift around 5000 to 5200.

Above is true. I looked at my dyno sheets as a bolt on truck and power drops after 54-5500. No reason to go past that.

Mine flattened at around 5400 and started to drop at 5600.
I think my shiftlight was set to 5000 or 5200.

5500 is plenty.
When I am racing I try to powershift around 5000 to 5200.

Sissy, I shift at 6,000 from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, then at 5,600 3rd to 4th during my 1/4 mile runs. I have 63,000 miles on the stock engine and have had no issues. I also have a ported intake and a tune, but I was using this method long before I had the ported intake. My peak hp has always been at 5,600 and peak torque from 4'100 to 4,300 rpm.

Sissy, I shift at 6,000 from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, then at 5,600 3rd to 4th during my 1/4 mile runs. I have 63,000 miles on the stock engine and have had no issues. I also have a ported intake and a tune, but I was using this method long before I had the ported intake. My peak hp has always been at 5,600 and peak torque from 4'100 to 4,300 rpm.

Drop back about 500 rpm and see if your ET picks up.

I shift at 6k and my dyno graph on spray shows my power graph pulling up to 5800 and then start dropping. I worked the theory that it would drop me into my power band on gear changes by keeping it revving to 6k. I have 100k miles and have never pulled anything except intake for a coil and wire swap.

I did go with a different gear set ratio this week, I'll post up if it helped or if I screwed myself over. Lol

in an auto, i bet the 4.88's would help...

We're gonna find out tomorrow, I'll either post up happy or pissed. Trainman predicts 121 mph @ 6200. I like to push the envelope, so we'll see. Worse case I have thd gears if I go six speed ala VENOMOUS.

We're gonna find out tomorrow, I'll either post up happy or pissed. Trainman predicts 121 mph @ 6200. I like to push the envelope, so we'll see. Worse case I have thd gears if I go six speed ala VENOMOUS.

Ahhh........"The Venomous Mod"! I love the sound of that :D
I have learned you are supposed to shift within a few hundred of where PEAK TORQUE and PEAK POWER cross in your RPM band. Each truck will be different based on WEIGHT ( aka TRAINMAN), mods ( breathing dept, intake, exhaust), valvetrain mods ( springs, pushrods,lifters and cam profile).

I think the fair average of a V10 Viper Engine is 5500 and past that is wasting trap speed that could be gained by the next higher gear with the torque we produce. Much different than a high winding small block chevy or even better a Honda engine.:burnout:

Drop back about 500 rpm and see if your ET picks up.

Already tested that theory a few years ago. Was at Famoso and made 2 passes shifting at 6,000 each gear, then made a pass shifting at 5500 each time, ended up having to shift into 5th to finish the 1/4 mile. I lost et and speed (about 2/10ths and 2 mph). But I analized all 3 runs by increments ( from 60' to 330', from 330' to the 1/8th, from the 1/8th to 1000' and from 1000' to the 1/4). The only increment quicker by shifting at 5500 was from 1/8th to 1000', therefore I started shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd at 6000 and I short shifted to 4th at 5600 and ran my best time of the day. Have been using that method since, with good results I might add.

I just checked my dyno when we tested the JTS Venom Tb and I only dropped 10 hp from 5400 to 6000 rpm. But I tell you what, the next time I go to a test and tune I will try your theory again and make a run shifting at 5500 rpm and then leave it in 4th till the end (no shift to 5th). Maybe we'll get a different result.

Somewhere north of 6000. It really helps recovery with an auto trans. Yet ONE MORE reason to PULL THE HEADS when you are swapping a cam; to make sure the lifter holsters are in good enough shape to withstand the increase in RPM. And higher spring pressures.

Somewhere north of 6000. It really helps recovery with an auto trans. Yet ONE MORE reason to PULL THE HEADS when you are swapping a cam; to make sure the lifter holsters are in good enough shape to withstand the increase in RPM. And higher spring pressures.

So are you in agreement as far as high shift points vs lower?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back