Running Rough

A bad valve spring would most certainly cause low compression and I can't believe they wouldn't remove the valve cover in diagnosis.

2012-08-09_20-42-23_674.jpg

So I went to pick her ip from the dealer after I told them don't touch anything. So I don't have the full story. I am pissed beyond imagination right now. I'll get her towed this weekend and get the head pulled and pray!

So they took it apart without your permission?

I told them to touch nothing, Service Manager called me this morning explaining that the service tech took it out to prevent further damage. I was also informed the intake valve is stuck in the cylinder head. I will be picking up my baby Saturday and pulling the head off.

Service Manager said the stuck valve was a sign that the piston had smacked the valve causing it to jam. At this point I can only bet my piston may be damaged. I'll update this weekend once the head is off.

So they took it apart without your permission?

They should have touched nothing!!!! Go ahead and get the head pulled and see what's up. They better not have removed the F'n spring and pushrod and fired the damn engine up:mad: The valve was likely in tact as the keepers look fine! Then they removed the keepers and maybe the valve is stuck in the seal or they jammed it by cranking the engine over:dontknow::mad:
They should have not removed a dang thang:mad:

I asked the Service Manager this morning was the valve up or down when they removed the broken parts, he said the valve was jammed in the up position and that they drove it to the back lot with no issues.

Yes all of this has been very stressful as I love my truck like everyone else on here does. Depending on the condition of the piston & cylinder walls kinda sets the stage for my course of action. I can only guess the piston struck the valve. I may pull the motor and go forged. I'll have to sale my 55 Ford F100 and save some cash to do it. Options are on the table, Strikers, Forged, Cammed....maybe Forged & Blown. I'll figure it out this weekend.

They should have touched nothing!!!! Go ahead and get the head pulled and see what's up. They better not have removed the F'n spring and pushrod and fired the damn engine up:mad: The valve was likely in tact as the keepers look fine! Then they removed the keepers and maybe the valve is stuck in the seal or they jammed it by cranking the engine over:dontknow::mad:
They should have not removed a dang thang:mad:

Last edited:
I asked the Service Manager this morning was the valve up or down when they removed the broken parts, he said the valve was jammed in the up position and that they drove it to the back lot with no issues.

Yes all of this has been very stressful as I love my truck like everyone else on here does. Depending on the condition of the piston & cylinder walls kinda sets the stage for my course of action. I can only guess the piston struck the valve. I may pull the motor and go forged. I'll have to sale my 55 Ford F100 and save some cash to do it. Options are on the table, Strikers, Forged, Cammed....maybe Forged & Blown. I'll figure it out this weekend.

That's nice you are ready to mod her, but they are being dillholes at thier approach. They should have NEVER driven it period! If the keepers are in tact which it looks they are the piston did NOT hit the valve. It could simply be the seal holding it in place. The pushrod does worry me some, but have seen dozens of pushrods bent due to rocker failure, over revving, or broken springs.

That's nice you are ready to mod her, but they are being dillholes at thier approach. They should have NEVER driven it period! If the keepers are in tact which it looks they are the piston did NOT hit the valve. It could simply be the seal holding it in place. The pushrod does worry me some, but have seen dozens of pushrods bent due to rocker failure, over revving, or broken springs.

are these non interferance engines? if they are then yeah a broken spring with retainers in tact isnt that big a deal, honestly man i'd replace the spring and pushrod, cross my fingers and fire it up. cant really hurt it anymore than it is, make sure to kick someone in the nads for driving your truck with damage like that though, there are plenty of people that work there they could push it anywhere they needed to

2012-08-10_19-40-33_140.jpg

Baby girl made it home, head gets pulled tomorrow!

Piston is damaged, cylinder wall is ok. Pics tell it all. 5 hrours with lunch and no hurries. Not hard at all. Bagged & tagged everything. RH head appears to need a new guide but is not damaged like the dealership said. I will be sending the heads out for the complete works. Stronger pushrods for sure. I am not sure at this point if I am going to just drop #10 piston and just replace it with OEM or go Forged....really boils down to $$$.

Ok questions comments let's hear'em!

2012-08-11_11-43-26_930.jpg

2012-08-11_12-57-04_266.jpg

2012-08-11_12-57-13_417.jpg

2012-08-11_13-51-43_886.jpg

2012-08-11_14-20-25_759.jpg

2012-08-11_14-57-53_368.jpg

2012-08-11_15-03-06_697.jpg

2012-08-11_17-36-49_757.jpg

2012-08-11_17-37-02_464.jpg

i'll bet that piston would still have a long life just like that!

Back