Standing mile - Top end run in Miami

blackviper said:
So lets do a little math.

Step 1

Multiply the speed in MPH by 5,280 feet per mile. The result is the speed in feet per hour. For example, 55 MPH is 290,400 feet per hour.

Step 2

Divide the speed in feet per hour by 3,600 seconds per hour. The result is the speed in feet per second. For example, 290,400 feet per hour is 80.667 feet per second.

Step 3

Alternatively, for a quick and dirty estimate, adding 50 percent is close enough (accurate to better than 2.5 percent).

Step 4

To convert feet per second into MPH, multiply by 3,600 seconds/hour and divide by 5,280 feet/mile. For example, 50 feet per second equals 34.09 MPH. Alternatively, simply divide the speed in feet per second by 1.4667 (seconds*feet)/(hours*miles). For a quick estimate, take off one third and you'll arrive at an answer accurate to better than 2.5 percent.

So if Mickey is doing 120mph at the end of the quarter, he is moving at a rate of 180 feet per second which would give him about 4.0 seconds of acceleration to the half mile.

Lets say by this time, his mph is 135. At 135, he is moving at 202.5 feet per second. This would give him about 5 seconds of acceleration to the 3/4 mile mark.

Now, lets figure at the 3/4 mile mark, his mph is 147. He is moving at 220.5 feet per second. This would give him about another 5 seconds to cover the remaining distance. Based on this theoretical calculation, his MPH at the end of the mile should be somewhere between 153 to 155.

Things to be taken into considertion: rate of acceleration, aerodynamics, road surface resistance, wind speed and direction, temperature and altitude.

In any event, I hope Mickey breaks his 160 mark. Good luck my friend!
very informative and precise breakdown , hope he setz the record.....:congrats: :rock: :D :congrats: :rock:

OSO said:
Second 1/4 should be a lot quicker than 15 seconds.

I was talking about 15 seconds to finish the other 3/4s of the entire mile. Making it about a 24 second mile total..... :)

SANTEEN said:
It looks like we got a mini GTG going:
kickinassrt-10 (Roger)
blackviper (Jorge)
litemup (Alex)
SANTEEN (Steve)

Who's bringing the beer?
Too bad the track won't be open after......
What knida beer you guys like??? I'm not picky

I'm not sure how some of your math works out... I agree with the concept of breaking it down into 1/4 mi sections, and we're just guessing at what the speeds would be at each 1/4 mi, which is OK, but the time math doesn't seem to work?!

Starting with a 1/4 mi equals 1320 ft.

Let's assume acceleration was linear over each 1/4 mi section, so we'll average the beginning and end speeds for that 1/4 mi.

blackviper said:
So if Mickey is doing 120mph at the end of the quarter, he is moving at a rate of 180 feet per second which would give him about 4.0 seconds of acceleration to the half mile.

1320 ft /(180 ft/sec +202.5 ft/sec)/2 = 6.89 sec

blackviper said:
Lets say by this time, his mph is 135. At 135, he is moving at 202.5 feet per second. This would give him about 5 seconds of acceleration to the 3/4 mile mark.

1320 ft / (202.5 ft/sec + 220.5)/2 = 6.24 sec

blackviper said:
Now, lets figure at the 3/4 mile mark, his mph is 147. He is moving at 220.5 feet per second. This would give him about another 5 seconds to cover the remaining distance.

1320 ft / (220.5 ft/sec + 227 ft/sec)/2 = 5.9 sec

blackviper said:
Based on this theoretical calculation, his MPH at the end of the mile should be somewhere between 153 to 155.

Things to be taken into considertion: rate of acceleration, aerodynamics, road surface resistance, wind speed and direction, temperature and altitude.

In any event, I hope Mickey breaks his 160 mark. Good luck my friend!

I hope so too! It just won't happen quite as quickly as indicated!!! :)

Taking a step back, it stands to reason that each progressive quarter mile would take less time to cover since he's travelling faster. The figures indicated show the opposite. :dontknow:

SANTEEN said:
kickinassrt-10 (Roger)
blackviper (Jorge)
litemup (Alex)
SANTEEN (Steve)
walbert (Wes)

I gotta be there for this one. :rock:

Da1Chief said:
I was talking about 15 seconds to finish the other 3/4s of the entire mile. Making it about a 24 second mile total..... :)
That is fast..........

I say he hits at least 160! Great math lessons on here too by the way! haha

viperhauler said:
i think 163....

mine hit the rev limiter in 5th at 164....so....if you make it that far and have to shift into 6th it'll probably be worthless....

I hit 163 going downhill with 4.10's in a virtually stock rig. I'm sure he'll see 163+ with his set up.

SANTEEN said:
kickinassrt-10 (Roger)
blackviper (Jorge)
litemup (Alex)
SANTEEN (Steve)

Who's bringing the beer?

:argh:And only two of yall are on the PCB list.. Why is that?

Mickey, :dontknow: when are you going to PCB dude?

gunu said:
no hills is south fla lol , just be careful not to hit a gator at 160 !!!!

OMG NO wait wait wait..! Here's one here's one.... Or, someone will have to give that gator-aid.. GET IT?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaahhh, :dong:I need to get a life.

Venom Power said:
OMG NO wait wait wait..! Here's one here's one.... Or, someone will have to give that gator-aid.. GET IT?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaahhh, :dong:I need to get a life.

Don't quit your day job. :D

kickinassrt-10 said:
Too bad the track won't be open after......
What knida beer you guys like??? I'm not picky
Hey, you know that's Columbus Day Regatta weekend?

Venom Power said:
Just stick to the AMEX jokes, Antnee. :D

hmmmm. Check your tire pressure before you take off....... Take off your wipers, and antenna, pull in your rear view mirrors, Take out the spare tire.

If you get more than 1 pass, try it with the tailgate down or off, or the wing off.

I think a fresh coat of wax will make you faster, or at least look better going fast.

Now all Mickey needs is some Decals on that truck from some of our Vendors...VTCOA sticker, maybe Tony could get some exposure as well...there will be a few video, magazine, and certainly other tuners and vendors there...thats cheap exposure....I don't think Mickey is the type to want $$ for such a thing...Nod sure there will be anyone else with this shot to get this sort of thing on the map...Nana was the only one doing this as far as I know.:dontknow:

What ya think Mickey?:call: :call2:

Venom Power said:
:argh:And only two of yall are on the PCB list.. Why is that?

Mickey, :dontknow: when are you going to PCB dude?

P.C.B. Is too far for me to travel right now,I will be there in the future though!!:D

JeffBoyette said:
hmmmm. Check your tire pressure before you take off....... Take off your wipers, and antenna, pull in your rear view mirrors, Take out the spare tire.

If you get more than 1 pass, try it with the tailgate down or off, or the wing off.

I think a fresh coat of wax will make you faster, or at least look better going fast.

Tailgate is staying up,I do not run a wing(Speedstur tonnau).
My first couple of runs will be used to run my truck as is(Full street weight and trim)And get a handle on shift points.Then I will try some of my planned aero mods.I will try to document as much data for our trucks that I can.(Hopefully aiding other members).I will have fun no matter what m.p.h. I run!!:rock:

NBT said:
Now all Mickey needs is some Decals on that truck from some of our Vendors...VTCOA sticker, maybe Tony could get some exposure as well...there will be a few video, magazine, and certainly other tuners and vendors there...thats cheap exposure....I don't think Mickey is the type to want $$ for such a thing...Nod sure there will be anyone else with this shot to get this sort of thing on the map...Nana was the only one doing this as far as I know.:dontknow:

What ya think Mickey?:call: :call2:

I think thats a great idea Ken,I will put any venders sticker on my truck from the forum and will do my best not to disappoint them.There will be some magazine coverage as well(so I am told).You would have to check the website to confirm though.A V.T.C.O.A. sticker would be nice!!:D :D

Thanks to everyone contributing to this,The math calculations are awesome!!:congrats: The forum cheering section will be a blast,(to say the least)!!:D plus The data and documentation from these runs should prove helpfull to 10 owners!!
Seat of the pants and real world driving tell me I should be pretty fast,Math says otherwise:dontknow: .I'll be happy to fall somewhere in between!!!:D Any opinions(good or bad) will be appreciated,And I will try any mod personally requested(within reason)by a forum member.i will also honor any Forum venders stickers on my truck...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back