Standing mile - Top end run in Miami

JeffBoyette said:
hmmmm. Check your tire pressure before you take off....... Take off your wipers, and antenna, pull in your rear view mirrors, Take out the spare tire.

If you get more than 1 pass, try it with the tailgate down or off, or the wing off.

I think a fresh coat of wax will make you faster, or at least look better going fast.

i completely agree with Jeff on the wipers, antenna, and spare tire coming off. also tucking the mirrors. everything you can do to reduce drag will do wonders. the taping of your open body lines will also help drastically. above all have a blast:rock:

Taking a step back, it stands to reason that each progressive quarter mile would take less time to cover since he's travelling faster. The figures indicated show the opposite.

The reasoning behind that is as he goes faster it will take him more time to mph. Aerodynamics take over. I would have to say his truck will accelerate very quickly until he meets that brick wall of air somewhere between 120 and 130.

Another example, the acceleration between 100 and 120mph will be much quicker than 120 to 140mph. Wouldn't you agree? If you read the article in Motor Trend magazine (Blue Devil vs. Blue Angel), the ZR1's time marks would prove this theory.

Last edited:
I see your where you are going - aero drag increases by the square of velocity, so given a constant engine force, acceleration will decrease due to the increasing aero drag force.

That doesn't mean that velocity will decrease though. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. You can easily have zero acceleration at any velocity - that simply means your velocity is constant.

Maybe this will help if I didn't say it correctly...
http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math101/notes/applications/velocity.html

We made some assumptions on entrance and exit speeds for each quarter and assumed constant acceleration over that quarter. By doing so, we straightened those sections of the curve so we didn't have to use calculus. :rock:

Another example of acceleration vs velocity - from a standing stop, your acceleration is very high (rapidly changing velocity), but your velocity is very low initially.

At any rate, best of luck to all racing!!! This is bringing back flashbacks of college... Good and bad!

I
blackviper said:
The reasoning behind that is as he goes faster it will take him more time to mph. Aerodynamics take over. I would have to say his truck will accelerate very quickly until he meets that brick wall of air somewhere between 120 and 130.

Another example, the acceleration between 100 and 120mph will be much quicker than 120 to 140mph. Wouldn't you agree? If you read the article in Motor Trend magazine (Blue Devil vs. Blue Angel), the ZR1's time marks would prove this theory.

blackviper said:

So,What happens when a jet produces a sonic boom,Doe's his rate of acceleration increase until he backs up enough air to produce another one??

wow good stuff here guys...thanks for the heads up Mickey.

The Rice Eater will come out of the wood work for this one...just put it on my calendar! I'll be heading down from Ft. Laud....would like to meet up w/ others for a traditional convoy in through the gates!

I will help you out any way you need it Mick although I think George has me beat in the mathematics department.

Oh and I drink Miller Lite! Rest assured I will not show up to a GTG w/ out a cooler full in my scratched up bed!

Rice Eater said:
wow good stuff here guys...thanks for the heads up Mickey.

The Rice Eater will come out of the wood work for this one...just put it on my calendar! I'll be heading down from Ft. Laud....would like to meet up w/ others for a traditional convoy in through the gates!

I will help you out any way you need it Mick although I think George has me beat in the mathematics department.

Oh and I drink Miller Lite! Rest assured I will not show up to a GTG w/ out a cooler full in my scratched up bed!
Good idea. Let's meet somewhere close and roll in together.

SANTEEN said:
Good idea. Let's meet somewhere close and roll in together.

I'm up for meeting. Just tell me where and when.

Rice Eater said:
where is this place anyway?

Glad to hear you'll be able to make this one Chad:rock: ,The address is in the link I provided.You'll find my name on the second page,I'm number 115!!

HaroldD said:
I see your where you are going - aero drag increases by the square of velocity, so given a constant engine force, acceleration will decrease due to the increasing aero drag force.

That doesn't mean that velocity will decrease though. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. You can easily have zero acceleration at any velocity - that simply means your velocity is constant.

Maybe this will help if I didn't say it correctly...
http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math101/notes/applications/velocity.html

We made some assumptions on entrance and exit speeds for each quarter and assumed constant acceleration over that quarter. By doing so, we straightened those sections of the curve so we didn't have to use calculus. :rock:

Another example of acceleration vs velocity - from a standing stop, your acceleration is very high (rapidly changing velocity), but your velocity is very low initially.

At any rate, best of luck to all racing!!! This is bringing back flashbacks of college... Good and bad!

I

ya'll need to figure out the speed this way...the southern way, put down the pencil.

he will start, hold the pedal down, shift the gears, take the amount of pee in the seat of pants, and guage from there.

LOLOL it will do what it will do:rock:

1qksrt: good luck and be safe. For MPH estimate, I'll guess 159.

Stinker said:
my guess is 28.5 mph.........................:D

He might be able to push the truck for a mile and reach that speed. :dontknow: Even better if the road slopes down and away from the start line and with a good tail wind...anythings possible :D

6pakattack said:
It's about 3 1/2 hours from me,anybody want to caravan down ???
Thanks Den for posting up,It wouldn't feel right without your witty humor :D
I'm considering leaving pretty early,(sixish-is that a word)So I can get there for the first tour of the track:dontknow:
Note;To all attending,Please read the rules in the link I supplied,About alcohol,tents,smoking,ect,ect .

6pakattack said:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=W.m...ee&2s=FL&2a=54575+East+Tamiami+Trail&2z=34141

Well,I have a ballpark idea where we'd be heading,hopefully this link shows it better !!!So who's all up for a cruise on down to give Mickey some Immoral support ???:dontknow:

1.6pak
2.SANTEEN (Steve)
I'm down for meeting somewhere. However, I'm down south. So, I'll be driving north to get there. But, like I said, I don't mind meeting somewhere and cruising in. Just let me know ehere

I see they will be having a mobile dyno there. This could be cool. Is this only for the participants? Or can we get on it? If so, will a quad cab fit on a mobile dyno?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back