STS Turbo questions

LitemUp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really considering in purchasing an STS turbo kit for my truck, and had a few questions for those of you who are running the kit before I take the plunge.

1. Would you recommend the kit?

2 If you had to do it all over again would still go with STS? If not why?

2. What types of issues have you had with the kit, if any?

3. Did you need to go with bigger injectors and/or intercooler?

4. Can you still run the dual exhaust out the rear like the Magnaflow? If not, is the exhaust louder compared to the Magnaflow?

5. Can the kit be used in a daily driver?

Thanks for your help... Looking forward to your feedback

There were a lot of problems with the STS, I would recommend that you do a search on this site for more info. FlyingLow was one guy that seemed to have some luck, get in touch with him.

And be ready for Silverback to jump in here LOL.

Don't be a Dumbass :D Do a search and you will come to the conclusion that the STS is NOT the right product for these trucks.....or would you rather have a flurry of #3 and #4 piston detonation testimonials :D

I would actually suggest pro turbo before I would STS, it might take longer and a tad more $ , but you will get a better system with tons more power possible, but you are going up a dangerous road either way:D

Oh where do I start. Well I'm at work and don't have alot of time to get into this but I will say that while the STS is a good system, it is not a good system for our trucks. To me one of the biggest decisions in going FI is who is doing the tunning. It will make or break you. I can write more later on this if the others don't kill you first. BTW Silverback loves this system and recommends it highly.

before you buy a STS system....do this....take a 6" phillips head screw driver.....ram it 3" into your left eye....if you enjoy the sensation....buy the STS

Nowwhat said:
before you buy a STS system....do this....take a 6" phillips head screw driver.....ram it 3" into your left eye....if you enjoy the sensation....buy the STS
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just made 702 rwhp and 667 rwtq (850/805 crank) with my Paxton (and water/meth) on the stock 8psi of boost and stock injectors. I'm also running both the stock Paxton heat exchanger and Boomers. 1st-3rd gears roast the tires. How much power you looking to make? You should probably get some pistons while your at it.

Last edited:
At 5 psi I'm getting 480 RWHP. That is just sad. I was at 438 with just the stage 2.

FlyingLow said:
At 5 psi I'm getting 480 RWHP. That is just sad. I was at 438 with just the stage 2.

That reminds me...when we dynoed my truck yesterday we forgot to put a spark plug back in for another dyno pull. Still made over 550 (may have been a bit higher) rwhp on 9 cylinders or something along those lines :burnout:

LitemUp said:
I'm really considering in purchasing an STS turbo kit for my truck, and had a few questions for those of you who are running the kit before I take the plunge.

1. Would you recommend the kit?

2 If you had to do it all over again would still go with STS? If not why?

2. What types of issues have you had with the kit, if any?

3. Did you need to go with bigger injectors and/or intercooler?

4. Can you still run the dual exhaust out the rear like the Magnaflow? If not, is the exhaust louder compared to the Magnaflow?

5. Can the kit be used in a daily driver?

Thanks for your help... Looking forward to your feedback

#1 Look at my avatar. That's just one of eight pistons after the STS kit (two inexplicably survived). The system was supposed to be a 5psi system, but wound up hitting 12psi installed according to the instructions. The resulting over-boosting and detonation filled my engine with paperweights.

#2 No, see #1

Second #2 See #1, again.

#3 You would need to use bigger injectors, and a standalone engine management system like an AEM, tuned by a professional. An intercooler or methanol injection would be advisable over 5psi. You should not use the fuel enrichment/engine management that comes with the STS kit.

#4 I ran 3" back to the bumper, and split it into two 2" pipes and tips. It was a little louder than my Magnaflow setup, but not much. Sounded cool while it lasted.

#5 It was my daily driver until I put the STS kit on it. Two days later, it was a permanent resident of my garage. The engine lost massive amounts of compression in October of 2004, and I'm almost ready to get back on the road. I'm installing a Paxton this time around (got tired of waiting on Roe to finish his SC).

'Nuff said?

I tell you what if you really want one I will take mine off and give you a great deal.

I got a bag of quarter inch nuts\bolts you can just pour down your intake at about 2500RPM's

Cheaper and less damage, but will still require a complete rebuild

Paxson or Roe...the STS is a high risk move...in our Vipers.

the sts does the same thing a pazton does, creates boost. I'd add a 2nd wastegate, big FMIC, and I'd tune it myself of course since blowing engines isn't fun. I'd also do all my tuning with 118 octaine (c-16) race gas to elliminate any detonation problems

good luck!

Stinker said:
jsut drop a ton of $ and do this

You got it all wrong Stinker....

These guys want to be like ballistic missiles, they just forget or choose to over look the part at the end....BOOOOOOM!

MYuGiOh Motorsports said:
You got it all wrong Stinker....

These guys want to be like ballistic missiles, they just forget or choose to over look the part at the end....BOOOOOOM!

LOLOLOL gotcha:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back