STS Turbo questions

Thanks for the input guys! I have learned quit a bit about the forced induction systems. I think I will pass on the STS and do some more research on my other options (Roe Supercharger, Paxton, and Proturbo)

LitemUp said:
Thanks for the input guys! I have learned quit a bit about the forced induction systems. I think I will pass on the STS and do some more research on my other options (Roe Supercharger, Paxton, and Proturbo)

Excellent decision dude..........was it the the screwdriver in the eye deal that convinced you?:dontknow: LOL;)

patrick

Who will be doing your tune? You've made the right choice. Doug Levin knows paxtons like the back of his hand. Of course Roe knows their systems. Underground would be the way to go if you're going turbos.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Excellent decision dude..........was it the the screwdriver in the eye deal that convinced you?:dontknow: LOL;)

patrick

Got to admit Patrick, that would have sealed the deal for me.;) :D :rock:

Nowwhat said:
pipe down junior....I am pushing 1000rwhp.....:D ....just takes a bit o' laughing gas....

Before I left Joes shop thursday I made the mistake of asking him about what kind of numbers he thought we could get with upgraded rods, heads, more boost, etc. Without increasing the boost he thought another 50 to 100 rwhp could be reached.

In fact, he was looking for another pulley after we finished things up. He wanted to add another 2 psi of boost. My current setup including the rods probably wouldnt safely handle it...it was kinda funny seeing him take some pulleys and check them against the stock 8psi one.

I'm kinda hoping to get 1000 at the crank someday. I need another 150 to reach it.

Silverback said:
With the STS, the back pressure is the greatest when it's under boost. It's the back pressure that is spinning the turbo, not the heat energy with normal turbo systems. During normal driving the turbo is pretty much a non issue. When the STS builds boost pressure the back pressure has to be greater than the boost pressure in order for it to generate boost.

Now you have EGT's gauges on your helicopter to tell you when something is going wrong. Ever had it happen? For whatever reason those EGT's can spike in just a couple seconds. Same in your engine. Problem is you will not see it unless you have EGT probes in every exhaust port. Needless to say the cooling system will be to slow to react to show that you have a problem. By the time it does you have already lost an engine.

You could run pure methanol for fuel, and have an inter-cooler, and it would not do a damn bit of good with the STS system.

With all that in mine is it just an issue with our engines or across the board. Lots of other engines out there with the STS system.

Anyone know if the vipers have the same problem for those that have the STS on theirs? I'm not on the viper boards so I thought some of you might have heard some info.

FlyingLow said:
With all that in mine is it just an issue with our engines or across the board. Lots of other engines out there with the STS system.

Anyone know if the vipers have the same problem for those that have the STS on theirs? I'm not on the viper boards so I thought some of you might have heard some info.

no one that I know has installed a STS on a viper.

I do know this tho, after all the hell I have endured, I havent run into one major tuner yet that wants to tune ANY turbo system on the Gen III with piston and rod upgrades.

Havent never really asked, figure Silver has is pegged, but evidently SC boost and tune is considerably internally different from turbos.

They say Sc's is no problem but that Gen III's jsut cant take the pressure from turbos unless kept below 4or5psi area, and thats where a Sc'r shines in a stock engine.

Stinker said:
no one that I know has installed a STS on a viper.

I do know this tho, after all the hell I have endured, I havent run into one major tuner yet that wants to tune ANY turbo system on the Gen III with piston and rod upgrades.

Havent never really asked, figure Silver has is pegged, but evidently SC boost and tune is considerably internally different from turbos.

They say Sc's is no problem but that Gen III's jsut cant take the pressure from turbos unless kept below 4or5psi area, and thats where a Sc'r shines in a stock engine.

Yes, boost is boost, and the engine does not know how it got there from the intake side of things. However, if the exhaust is restricted, like the STS does, it will make a big difference to the engine, as the majority of STS owners have found out.

Silverback said:
Yes, boost is boost, and the engine does not know how it got there from the intake side of things. However, if the exhaust is restricted, like the STS does, it will make a big difference to the engine, as the majority of STS owners have found out.

So was the problem with the all the other guys that lost an engine back-pressure and not tuning? Or does it somehow all tie in together? Please understand John that I'm not questioning you, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it all. I thought the problem with all the others was over-boost or tuning and no so much heat build up or back-pressure.

AWDisuzu said:
the sts needs a bigger turbo or 2 of them!

If I can't run over 5 psi then how would a bigger turbo help?

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Who will be doing your tune? You've made the right choice. Doug Levin knows paxtons like the back of his hand. Of course Roe knows their systems. Underground would be the way to go if you're going turbos.

I'm leaning towards the paxton since Doug literally in my backyard, but I kinda like the Roe SC a bit more.:confused:

FlyingLow said:

I'm just guessing here but when John mentioned the back pressure a turbo makes a light bulb went off. Perhaps having all 10 cylinders spinning a single turbo such as the STS, it creates more BP than 5 cylinders spinning a turbo. Maybe that's why the twin turbo system is a better idea. (How many are running the twin turbo setup?). And an even better idea is the SC where there are no exhaust obstructions (ie. turbo). I remember seeing pics of turboed engines running at full throttle where the exhaust manifold is glowing red hot. Just some more food for thought. Maybe a bigger turbo (exhaust side) would reduce BP. But it would create more turbo lag.

LitemUp said:
I'm leaning towards the paxton since Doug literally in my backyard, but I kinda like the Roe SC a bit more.:confused:

From what I've read you cannot go wrong with Doug. I'll bet he can get more out of the Paxton than what you'll get out of the Roe.

FlyingLow said:
So was the problem with the all the other guys that lost an engine back-pressure and not tuning? Or does it somehow all tie in together? Please understand John that I'm not questioning you, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it all. I thought the problem with all the others was over-boost or tuning and no so much heat build up or back-pressure.

I will get back to you tonight when I get home.

Damn, I just noticed that today is my wedding anniversary. I may not have a lot of time this evening. Probably will have to do something for her, so I may not get back to this until tomorrow.

Sorry Scott.

Last edited:
FlyingLow said:

Damn, am I that bad?:dontknow: :eek:

Oh well, sorry.

Okay, what is detonation? It's heat that causes premature detonation of the Air/Fuel mixture. This can come from a number of sources.

1. To high of a compression ratio for the octane rating of the fuel.

2. Carbon buildup within a cylinder that results in a hot spot in combustion chamber. This results in the A/F mixture igniting before the spark can set it off.

3. Timing advanced to far. Not really premature detonation in the true term as it's not happening by mistake.

Number 4 is what I believe to be happening.

4. Back pressure causes heat to be retained in the engine, rather than being expelled by the exhaust system. So under boost the engine builds heat rapidly, to rapidly to show up on the cooling system by the way. When this heat builds up, you get detonation. You could run it pig rich, and it won't do you a damn bit of good. It will still detonate as it's so hot it can do nothing else.

Hope that helps explain it Scott.

I wish Jack would jump in here also. He may see something I'm missing, but I don't think so.

And sorry if I have been grumpy lately. :eek:

paxton seems more proven at this point....a few have the ROE but I have yet to see a real low number come out of one.....well except the questionable onefast

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
From what I've read you cannot go wrong with Doug. I'll bet he can get more out of the Paxton than what you'll get out of the Roe.

Be worth watching to find out what Bone can get out of that ROE he put on.....;)

LitemUp said:
I'm really considering in purchasing an STS turbo kit for my truck....

Thanks for your help... Looking forward to your feedback

I would steer clear of an STS as stated above.... No dis-credit Smoke....you still going :rock:

Both have their limit's, pro's and con's, if your looking to start cookin over 1000hp... twins is it.

The gas ain't to shabby either....(That's for you Rice:rock: :burnout:)

Seem's it all boils down to what kind of HP you want, when you want it, and how much $$ your throwing at it to get there.
Geographics seems to play a big part in which set-up everyone ultimatly goes with regarding SC's....:dontknow:

If I could do a truck all over again... I would still drop a twinscrew on it...it is damn fun...and the scream from the blower is sweet music...till she passes bye...and all you hear is the snap of the exhaust growlin.:rock: :rock: ]
Both Paxton and ROE SC's have proven reliability....Paxton has been on longer than the ROE...due to the R&D ROE did on the intake plenum, to get the SC on top.

Both produce good #'s on a stock internals... to a point;).... cough Nowhat...Cough....:rock:
Tune is everything...and can detonate any motor if done incorrectly....

Have fun...plenty of great people on here to mix your mind on which to go with. Regardless...she should put a grin on ya everytime you hit the gas....
:driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back