STS Turbo questions

Texas Yellow Fever said:
I got a head ache reading all that...:( Is their a Cliff's notes version that just says stay away from STS Turbos unless your name is Flying Low?
i think i remember a thread from flyinglow about possible isses on #3 & his sts turbo ??:dontknow:

what was the outcome on that ?

Last edited:
moparracing said:

i think i remember a thread from flyinglow about possible isses on #3 & his sts turbo ??:dontknow:

what was the outcome on that ?

Nothing I guess. I had a leak down test and no issues. It's not smoking and the truck drives like normal. Since that incident I have killed a TBSS, 350Z, STI and various rice. I think I still hear a sound but the viper techs said it was normal. So I don't know what to tell you. One theory I had was the engine got very hot from the 5 minutes of steady boost. I shut it down right away and did not let it cool properly. Which in-turn melted the spark plug. I don't know, just a theory.

Silverback said:
How about a B+ and I will buy you a couple beers when we get together again.:D :rock:

Fair 'nuff.

Silverback said:
By the way, I'm holding off scheduling the next get together until you are up and running, so get that beast together will you.:eek: :D

Roger that! Once the compressor is in place, the rest should go a little faster.:D

FlyingLow said:
Nothing I guess. I had a leak down test and no issues. It's not smoking and the truck drives like normal. Since that incident I have killed a TBSS, 350Z, STI and various rice. I think I still hear a sound but the viper techs said it was normal. So I don't know what to tell you. One theory I had was the engine got very hot from the 5 minutes of steady boost. I shut it down right away and did not let it cool properly. Which in-turn melted the spark plug. I don't know, just a theory.
good for you as you seem to be the last one with an sts turbo.......;)

i think it's better to read this thread backworths , it becomes more and more understandeble and you end with clear answers ! :D

belgiumbarry said:
i think it's better to read this thread backworths , it becomes more and more understandeble and you end with clear answers ! :D

Um, and the answer would be "Sh!t breaks under pressure." ?

Ram From Hell said:
Um, and the answer would be "Sh!t breaks under pressure." ?

YEAH , something like that or up to Mikey's #3 post :
..........NOT.......... and i think for once he was serious ...

;) :D

Silverback said:
How about a B+ and I will buy you a couple beers when we get together again.:D :rock:

By the way, I'm holding off scheduling the next get together until you are up and running, so get that beast together will you.:eek: :D

Mine will not be a beast, but I do hope to have a mod on it by next get together. :)

moparracing said:
see you have a delivery date by june, do you know who you plan to get to install it & cost involved ?
Local shop said they could install it for about 1500.00. I need to go in and see them to get a written estimate and see what all it includes and how long it will be down.

My June date is based on a constraint on my side not ROE's. Dave told me they were doing preassembly now. I am not sure how long it would take to get from preassembly to out the door, but Dave said he would hold mine for me till End of May with a deposit. Hopefully I will finalize the budget with my builder next week. Then I will be more comftorable with writing the check for the whole thing.

tinygiants said:
Local shop said they could install it for about 1500.00. I need to go in and see them to get a written estimate and see what all it includes and how long it will be down.

My June date is based on a constraint on my side not ROE's. Dave told me they were doing preassembly now. I am not sure how long it would take to get from preassembly to out the door, but Dave said he would hold mine for me till End of May with a deposit. Hopefully I will finalize the budget with my builder next week. Then I will be more comftorable with writing the check for the whole thing.
how did you come to choose the particular shop you're having do the install --- very critical, i would think........

doing it on stock internals ??

moparracing said:
how did you come to choose the particular shop you're having do the install --- very critical, i would think........

doing it on stock internals ??

PM sent to stop my thread jack.

One last comment...this Roe is designed and packaged as a "do it yourself, bolt on"...now I would not do it, but I am not mechanically inclined...anything more than a hammer (used to ride Harley's) is too much for me, I prefer to pay.

But I have spoken to several that have purchased the Roe on my recommendation that did the install in their garage and had very few problems. The documentation was written while putting mine together...and the saving grace is that Sean/Dave are always available to speak with you. When you push 3# on his menu you get Sean...what a great way to service your customers!

Prof said:
One last comment...this Roe is designed and packaged as a "do it yourself, bolt on"...now I would not do it, but I am not mechanically inclined...anything more than a hammer (used to ride Harley's) is too much for me, I prefer to pay.

But I have spoken to several that have purchased the Roe on my recommendation that did the install in their garage and had very few problems. The documentation was written while putting mine together...and the saving grace is that Sean/Dave are always available to speak with you. When you push 3# on his menu you get Sean...what a great way to service your customers!

Prof

Now that you've had the SC for a couple of months I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking.

1. Is your truck a daily driver? If not, do you think the engine and SC would hold up to the rigors of daily driving since I drive my truck on a daily basis?

2. I have a concern about were the filter is located since my truck is a daily driver and I live in Miami, FL it rains here everyday during the summer months. Would this be an issue since the filter is located near the opening of the hoodscoop? I'm a little worried with the all of the rain we get down here water could get into the intake and bye bye engine?

It seems after looking at both systems Roe and Paxton I could probably get more bang for the buck with Roe, but I'm not willing to sacrifice realiability. Your input would be much appreciated.

I know I am late to the party and the horse has been beat to death, but please say no to the STS. I wasted 8K on it, but thankfully removed it before it cost me my engine. Sounded great but didn't run very well.

LitemUp said:
Prof

Now that you've had the SC for a couple of months I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking.

1. Is your truck a daily driver? If not, do you think the engine and SC would hold up to the rigors of daily driving since I drive my truck on a daily basis?

2. I have a concern about were the filter is located since my truck is a daily driver and I live in Miami, FL it rains here everyday during the summer months. Would this be an issue since the filter is located near the opening of the hoodscoop? I'm a little worried with the all of the rain we get down here water could get into the intake and bye bye engine?

It seems after looking at both systems Roe and Paxton I could probably get more bang for the buck with Roe, but I'm not willing to sacrifice realiability. Your input would be much appreciated.

I drive it daily, but not in bad weather. (We have that here in northern Illinois) I do have a home in Marathon, and if I had it there I would drive it except in Hurricanes! I roam the streets looking for fun nearly every night. Can it be a daily driver...by all means, it is designed to be used just that way, one of the advantages of a roots type compressor...most production cars with superchargers have the twin screw for reliability.

Now I have to say that anytime you boost an engine, regardless of the brand you are increasing your chances of lower reliability...but would I worry about the Roe...NO. This is a set up that should last years without problems.

While I do not drive in the rain...most of us don't due to issues with traction, I doubt that the amount of water that enters through the hood intake is a problem...there is a filter on the front of the throttle body and the front of the filter is solid...

Speak with Marc T or NBT...they drive theirs more often than me, and they probably get caught in the rain from time to time...

Sean Roe is wonderful to work with. He is an expert and his customer service is flawless. The other advantage is that Amy works there! Being in Florida, I can't imagine not going with Roe.

Hope this helps...

Roy

CarDude said:
I know I am late to the party and the horse has been beat to death, but please say no to the STS. I wasted 8K on it, but thankfully removed it before it cost me my engine. Sounded great but didn't run very well.

How many miles did you have on yours before you took it off?
What where your dyno numbers?
Did you have any problems after the over-boost issues got worked out?

FlyingLow said:
How many miles did you have on yours before you took it off?
What where your dyno numbers?
Did you have any problems after the over-boost issues got worked out?

I had 575 HP at the wheels (SAE corrected, altitude). I never had ther overboost problem, as I had the secondary controller to increase boost at the switch of a button. I only put about 2,000 miles on the system.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back