STS Turbo questions

I guess what I don't understand is how mine survived so far? Would any of these things help at all?
1. Hi-flow's or no cats.
2. Meth or inter-cooler.
3. Larger injectors.
If not then is there anything I can do to improve this system?

BTW thanks John for your help.

Because you are a good man and someone is looking out for you! It may just be Silverback!

FlyingLow said:
I guess what I don't understand is how mine survived so far? Would any of these things help at all?
1. Hi-flow's or no cats.
2. Meth or inter-cooler.
3. Larger injectors.
If not then is there anything I can do to improve this system?

BTW thanks John for your help.

Nope, I don't think any of those things would help out. The STS will still cause back pressure and heat. And as I said, you can run it pig rich and it will still have the same issues.

Sorry I cannot be of more help Scott.

Ram From Hell said:
Don't all turbo systems create back pressure though, even with the turbos close to the engine?

Yes, all turbo systems create some back pressure but not as much as I suspect that the STS does. A normal turbo system like Stinker has uses the expanding heat energy to spin the turbo(s), not back pressure. That is why you try to mount the turbo as close to the engine as possible. Also you will see that they sometimes wrap the header pipes to retain as much of the heat (energy) in the system as possible.

With the STS mounted where it is, you have lost the majority of the energy, so all that is left is to plug up the system and use the back pressure to spin the turbo.

A lot of people get confused by this, but it's not the exhaust flow that drives the turbo in a normal system. You can rev up the engine to redline in neutral and it will not generate any boost. It needs a load on the engine to generate the boost.

You're partially right. There is more heat and velocity next to the engine but that's not what spins the turbo. it's matter, and matter is not reduced farther back in the exhaust system. the exhaust velocity slows down due to cooling, but the cooler exhaust is more dense and therefore spins the turbo up just as well. It's actually a little bit better farther back because all that heat boils the oil inside the turbo housing on a typical turbo setup.

you're always going to have backpressure when you squeeze all that exhaust through an opening the size of a penny, but that is not necessarilly causing these engine problems. running lean due to using a supplemental injector would be my guess.

if you upgrade to larger injectors, I don't think you will have any problems. also, the passenger side fuel rail is fed by a tiny rubber fuel line that connects to the driver's side fuel rail. I would recommend ditching that and getting something a little beefier to get fuel to the passenger side fuel rail.

good luck!

p.s. I just ordered me a new turbo today
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif

AWDisuzu said:
You're partially right. There is more heat and velocity next to the engine but that's not what spins the turbo. it's matter, and matter is not reduced farther back in the exhaust system. the exhaust velocity slows down due to cooling, but the cooler exhaust is more dense and therefore spins the turbo up just as well. It's actually a little bit better farther back because all that heat boils the oil inside the turbo housing on a typical turbo setup.

you're always going to have backpressure when you squeeze all that exhaust through an opening the size of a penny, but that is not necessarilly causing these engine problems. running lean due to using a supplemental injector would be my guess.

if you upgrade to larger injectors, I don't think you will have any problems. also, the passenger side fuel rail is fed by a tiny rubber fuel line that connects to the driver's side fuel rail. I would recommend ditching that and getting something a little beefier to get fuel to the passenger side fuel rail.

good luck!

p.s. I just ordered me a new turbo today
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif

Please define "Matter".

Understanding Silverback is "work", I feel like I am back in thermodynamics class...that's a lie...never took thermodynamics...I took physics for non-science majors (read jocks)...no math...got a "c", and still got into grad school!

Prof said:
Understanding Silverback is "work", I feel like I am back in thermodynamics class...that's a lie...never took thermodynamics...I took physics for non-science majors (read jocks)...no math...got a "c", and still got into grad school!

Sorry.:eek:

Silverback said:
Energy does work, not mass or matter. Mass or matter when converted to energy does work, and pressurizing air is work.
Definitly ! Look what happened in Hiroshima in '45!

Prof said:
Yeah thermo is one of the worst .Fluid Mechanics is also another nasty one:. If you can visualize flowing liquids and gases its easier to understand.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

nycstev said:
Yeah thermo is one of the worst .Fluid Mechanics is also another nasty one:. If you can visualize flowing liquids and gases its easier to understand.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Mikey has an issue with "Flowing Gases".:eek: ;) :D

Just thought I would lighten the mood a little.:p :D :dancing: :star:

Silverback said:
Mikey has an issue with "Flowing Gases".:eek: ;) :D

Just thought I would lighten the mood a little.:p :D :dancing: :star:

Yeah, I think he has at least two orifices that suffer from spurious effluents.

I'd say stay away from turbos if you're only going to run 5 psi. that's what superchargers are good for!

turbos are better suited for 25-30+ psi and these motors cannot take that much boost.

AWDisuzu said:
I'd say stay away from turbos if you're only going to run 5 psi. that's what superchargers are good for!

turbos are better suited for 25-30+ psi and these motors cannot take that much boost.

Bingo!

We have a winner.:D :rock: :star: :dancing:

Silverback said:
Energy does work, not mass or matter. Mass or matter when converted to energy does work, and pressurizing air is work.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he was saying that it was energy of that air mass. As he said, although the velocity of the air mass is reduced with distance, its density is increased with cooling (thus losing the "heat energy" you describe), but the kinetic energy of that air charge should still remain (mass X velocity). So I believe you to be right, with respect to a reduction of efficiency due to the loss of heat over the longer distance to the turbine.

Do I get an "A"?:eek:

Ram From Hell said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he was saying that it was energy of that air mass. As he said, although the velocity of the air mass is reduced with distance, its density is increased with cooling (thus losing the "heat energy" you describe), but the kinetic energy of that air charge should still remain (mass X velocity). So I believe you to be right, with respect to a reduction of efficiency due to the loss of heat over the longer distance to the turbine.

Do I get an "A"?:eek:

How about a B+ and I will buy you a couple beers when we get together again.:D :rock:

By the way, I'm holding off scheduling the next get together until you are up and running, so get that beast together will you.:eek: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back