Suspension Mods For Traction?

One of the cheapest traction mods is tire sidewall, get some 305/45s (not 40s), larger sidewall, more flex, better traction and quicker times. You'll lose a tad of speed around corners but bugger all and these trucks are fine up at speed, getting them off the line clean is the problem area for most people. Lose the rubber bands and upgrade to meatier tires, still nothing like old school 305/60 sizes but it's a considerable difference. Plus, your truck looks lower and has more meat in the wheel wells. Worth a shot the next time you need new rears, or, go do some skids and order them tomorrow hahaha.........

i ride 45's too...:rock:

You do not want the rear end to be soft, the suspension squatting is wasted time/energy. Think about it, if the suspension is squatting it's not putting as much force onto the tires. You ideally want the rear very stiff and have the car/truck transfer weight from the front to the rear, which is what the ladder bars are for. I don't think the procomp bolt on bars will work most I've seen are only for lifted trucks.

for a cheaper set up that worked for me was the stage 1 traction kit from justin

Curious on what springs you pulled?
I am thinking of trying a set of Pro-Comp bolt on ladder bars and was thinking of pulling a leaf or two!

I have a major no traction issue! But really fun to drive now!! Lol

from the bottom-up, i pulled #2 and #4

If you remove leafs you will encounter worse axle wrap than we already have!! DO NOT DO IT!!! Check this video of how our axle wraps and this is with an auto :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOs6tAPQJ0k
ANY QUESTIONS?? Ask Troy about his S-Shaped springs ;)

first this truck does not have the diff shock or even cal tracs. you cannot compare this against a truck with those two. i guarantee have no where neither that kind of wrap.

You do not want the rear end to be soft, the suspension squatting is wasted time/energy. Think about it, if the suspension is squatting it's not putting as much force onto the tires. You ideally want the rear very stiff and have the car/truck transfer weight from the front to the rear, which is what the ladder bars are for. I don't think the procomp bolt on bars will work most I've seen are only for lifted trucks.

Why do you think the bolt on Pro-Comp traction bars wont work? :confused:Whats the diffference in ones for a lifted truck and ones that arent for a lifted truck??:dontknow:

Why do you think the bolt on Pro-Comp traction bars wont work? :confused:Whats the diffference in ones for a lifted truck and ones that arent for a lifted truck??:dontknow:

From the bolt on bars I've seen on trucks around here they look like they'll hang down under the truck too far. Not sure what the difference is with ones for a lifted truck, maybe something to do with the angle that they bolt on to the axle?

From the bolt on bars I've seen on trucks around here they look like they'll hang down under the truck too far. Not sure what the difference is with ones for a lifted truck, maybe something to do with the angle that they bolt on to the axle?

I wouldnt think they should any lower then the Cal Tracs, but good point never put much thaught into them hanging too low!

I wouldnt think they should any lower then the Cal Tracs, but good point never put much thaught into them hanging too low!

I looked at the bars you posted up, they really aren't ladder bars, more like a long traction bar, theyd still help though.

I'm looking at these bars mounted just in side the frame rails, theyll be welded to the rear end and I'm going to fab up a front mount with a shackle so they can move frontwards and backwards to eliminate binding up.

L&L Ladder Bars, Dana 60 Rear (3 1/2" Axle Tube)

You do not want the rear end to be soft, the suspension squatting is wasted time/energy. Think about it, if the suspension is squatting it's not putting as much force onto the tires. You ideally want the rear very stiff and have the car/truck transfer weight from the front to the rear, which is what the ladder bars are for.

I am trying to understand how weight can transfer without the suspension liting in the front and compressing in the rear?

Is the idea for the ladder bar to push on the center point of the trucks weight, driving the axle into the ground?

I am trying to understand how weight can transfer without the suspension liting in the front and compressing in the rear?

Is the idea for the ladder bar to push on the center point of the trucks weight, driving the axle into the ground?

Yup, basicly trying to get the truck to pivot on the rear wheels. If you watch most drag cars the lift the front without really squaring much in the rear. Chrisheltra postef some vids a while back of his truck and you can see it doesn't really squat it lifts the front and takes off

Yup, basicly trying to get the truck to pivot on the rear wheels. If you watch most drag cars the lift the front without really squaring much in the rear. Chrisheltra postef some vids a while back of his truck and you can see it doesn't really squat it lifts the front and takes off

Ahh, that makes sense. So softening the rear suspension is a waste of time, but softening the front with ladder bars might be worth doing?

Ahh, that makes sense. So softening the rear suspension is a waste of time, but softening the front with ladder bars might be worth doing?

The front doesn't need to be soft it just needs to let the front suspension "fall" to the end of its travel. Things like removing the sway bar and adjustable shocks that extend quickly and compress slowly help the front come up.

The front doesn't need to be soft it just needs to let the front suspension "fall" to the end of its travel. Things like removing the sway bar and adjustable shocks that extend quickly and compress slowly help the front come up.

Are you running adjustable shocks on your truck?

No not yet, just removed the front sway bar for now

Your times are what I want to shoot for before going inside the engine. I also don't want to strip the truck out like you haven't but do want to put my truck on a diet.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back