Suspension Mods For Traction?

caveman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried softening up the rear suspension (removing a leaf or three) to see if their truck hooks better?

There was a discussion about ladder bars for our trucks and that softening of the suspension was a thought on how a lightning got a better launch with them. do a search

I remember that thread. ChrisHeltra talked to the company that makes good ladder bars for the L's and they said if there was enough interest they would build some for us too. There was not enough interest, but ARRESTmeRed04 is probably going to build his own for his truck. I have considered doing the same for mine, but that is a whole different project.

Nobody has modified the factory suspension in the pursuit of lower ET's?

Rick (poolboy) has toyed around quite a bit in hopes for better traction...I believe he has tried a couple of setups. May want to ask his results.

I got a ladder bar set up right now Chris, works great but I'm probably gonna 4link it when I narrow the rear.

Thanks, Rick. If I decide to tub it, I'll four link it too. Ill try to snap some pictures of what we are doing on my buddy's truck.

How long are your ladder bars?

Did our truck hook up better after you softened up the rear suspension?

I pulled 2 leafs from mine. Seems better but no #'s to back it up yet.

Sweet. I'll look forward to your feedback.

Your engine build looks interesting too. Did you do anything to the heads?

I pulled 2 leafs from mine. Seems better but no #'s to back it up yet.

Curious on what springs you pulled?
I am thinking of trying a set of Pro-Comp bolt on ladder bars and was thinking of pulling a leaf or two!

I have a major no traction issue! But really fun to drive now!! Lol

One of the cheapest traction mods is tire sidewall, get some 305/45s (not 40s), larger sidewall, more flex, better traction and quicker times. You'll lose a tad of speed around corners but bugger all and these trucks are fine up at speed, getting them off the line clean is the problem area for most people. Lose the rubber bands and upgrade to meatier tires, still nothing like old school 305/60 sizes but it's a considerable difference. Plus, your truck looks lower and has more meat in the wheel wells. Worth a shot the next time you need new rears, or, go do some skids and order them tomorrow hahaha.........

Curious on what springs you pulled?
I am thinking of trying a set of Pro-Comp bolt on ladder bars and was thinking of pulling a leaf or two!

I'll let you know what leafs I decide to pull here in the next few weeks. Do you have a link to the ProComp bars? I am curious to see what the look like.

One of the cheapest traction mods is tire sidewall, get some 305/45s (not 40s),

This is excellent advice, Carl! But, where you when I ordered new tires a week ago!? :banghead:

If you remove leafs you will encounter worse axle wrap than we already have!! DO NOT DO IT!!! Check this video of how our axle wraps and this is with an auto :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOs6tAPQJ0k
ANY QUESTIONS?? Ask Troy about his S-Shaped springs ;)

Thats a kewl vid with a birds eye insight of exactly whats going on with axel and springs!!

Curiosity question,what if you were to take the truck to a spring shop and get one of those spring straps put around the bottom helper spring and the whole spring pack on the back side of axel and leave the front of springs??? Just a thaught????

Thats a kewl vid with a birds eye insight of exactly whats going on with axel and springs!!

Curiosity question,what if you were to take the truck to a spring shop and get one of those spring straps put around the bottom helper spring and the whole spring pack on the back side of axel and leave the front of springs??? Just a thaught????

Clamping the springs is an old trick that does indeed work. It allows the springs to stay together rather than fan out and wrap.:rock:
We still need a better solution and I am working on one as we speak.;):rock:

Clamping the springs is an old trick that does indeed work. It allows the springs to stay together rather than fan out and wrap.:rock:
We still need a better solution and I am working on one as we speak.;):rock:

I would love to find a spring shop that build me one of those big single springs for the rear!! That would eliminate the axel wrap!!
They use them on lots of older mopar muscle cars here at the track!!

Doesn't JMB make a traction kit for our trucks?

Ever heard of this :

Video Roadmaster | Roadmaster.de
The video is in german but from the video you will understand what they improve with the system
It is available for our truck

It might help with traction as well.

All the best from Germany

Arne

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back