The Philosophy Thread - an Experimental Therapy:

Wifey said:
If you do not look back to reflect on the things that did not produce good results, one will most likely repeat them.
Much like piloting a boat, one always looks back at the wake insuring the boat is on a straght course:D

There is a distinct difference between learning from the past to dwelling on it.

The lessons of the past are brought to the here and now in the form of who we have become. This should happen as a matter of course.

The wake may be positioned behind you but it still exists in the here and now.

Namaste'

D

Django said:
There is a distinct difference between learning from the past to dwelling on it.

The lessons of the past are brought to the here and now in the form of who we have become. This should happen as a matter of course.

The wake may be positioned behind you but it still exists in the here and now.

Namaste'

D

Point well taken :D , however, it seems as if most people avoid looking back to refect only to find themselves going in circles throughout life for fear they will have to deal with thier own actions of the past:( It is like they wear rosey glasses or blinders:argh:

Wifey said:
Point well taken :D , however, it seems as if most people avoid looking back to refect only to find themselves going in circles throughout life for fear they will have to deal with thier own actions of the past:( It is like they wear rosey glasses or blinders:argh:

When we fail to learn from past experiences they always seem to find their way back into the now anyway.... like a refresher course.

D

Django said:
When we fail to learn from past experiences they always seem to find their way back into the now anyway.... like a refresher course.

D

Then I wish someone in this world would push the "Refresh Button" ;)

Something to chew on:

The Bible says that "the love of money is the root of all evil" (1st Timothy 6:10).

I disagree. I believe that selfishness (itself) is the root of all evil....

2nd. The Bible also declares that "greater love hath no man (person) but that he lays down his life for his friends.." (John 15:13) a truly beautiful and inspiring passage.

But since Jesus commanded his disciples to love their enemies, is it not nobler (or in this sense "greater") for one to lay down his life for his enemies...? After all, is this not exactly what Jesus did as he said, "Forgive them, Father. For they know not what they do..." ? .

Perhaps the latter is an offering of such a perfect Love that John the Apostle considered it beyond the capability of mere mortals. :dontknow:

D

I have always been intrigued by the world's different religions and faith. I was astounded, at a young age, how much different (Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Buddha, Hindi, etc) religions were SIMILAR..... Only separated by few writings or minor theology. Unfortunately, those relatively minor things become "sticking points" for the fundamentalists to fight over, even from within their own base religions. I always wondered if there was a religion that encompassed ALL of the major religions and was at peace with them..... seeing the different apostles and profits as messengers of God. :dontknow:

Not long ago, a good friend pointed me to a "faith" or "religion" that does just that (on the surface... I'm still studying ;) ).... It's called Bahá'í , and it's been around for a long time. :eek: I'm wondering why it hasn't taken off more than it has. :dontknow: Just thought I would highlight this particular faith, for those of you that enjoy investigating different cultures. :) Here are a few links....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_Faith

http://www.bahai.org/

I would be interested in hearing everyone's input. :)

Last edited:
Baha'i's believe that those who are seeking a faith that meets their spiritual needs in the way the Baha'i faith does...will find it. A parallel philosophy is that Baha'i's believe that there are many ways to fulfill the spiritual needs of mankind...the form, ritual and individual differences are not of importance.

I've met a number of members of Bahai. I found them to be comprised of the same mix of people that are members of any other organization. Good and bad everywhere. Other than that, I have no direct experience with Bahai. The concept seems acceptable, but it is certainly an organized religion, albeit one of unification.

Here's and extract from their website:

Throughout history, God has revealed Himself to humanity through a series of divine Messengers, whose teachings guide and educate us and provide the basis for the advancement of human society. These Messengers have included Abraham, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad. Their religions come from the same Source and are in essence successive chapters of one religion from God.

Bahá’u’lláh, the latest of these Messengers, brought new spiritual and social teachings for our time. His essential message is of unity. He taught the oneness of God, the oneness of the human family, and the oneness of religion.

Bahá'u'lláh said, “The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens,” and that, as foretold in all the sacred scriptures of the past, now is the time for humanity to live in unity.

Founded more than a century and a half ago, the Bahá'í Faith has spread around the globe. Members of the Bahá'í Faith live in more than 100,000 localities and come from nearly every nation, ethnic group, culture, profession, and social or economic background.

I am certain that there is something to learn from this and every other facet of true worship, service and devotion. There is something different and something individual... unique about all the religions of peace. However when all is said and done, discovered and uncovered it all comes down to the wisdom which comes from a one on one relationship with whatever you seek, whether that is God, Brahma, Yahweh, Allah or nothing less than the plain and simple truth... One must pursue it with all their strength.

That is until you find something better.

What can I say...? Shit happens.....

D

Here's my philosophical addage for the day:

"If you want anything done right. Just shuttup and do it yourself........."

..... or just ask Lynette if she feels like doing it.....:eek: ;)

D

Django said:
Here's my philosophical addage for the day:

"If you want anything done right. Just shuttup and do it yourself........."

..... or just ask Lynette if she feels like doing it.....:eek: ;)

D
Good advice Tim I only wish I had a Lynette to do it.

Brat said:
Good advice Tim I only wish I had a Lynette to do it.

She's a helluva worker.......... hard to get her to stop.

Hope your day is a pleasant one, Earl.....:rock:

D

Spinning off Tim's comments...the right woman can create heaven on earth for a man who understands what he has.

Just an observation here. I see Buddhism listed as a religion quite often. I would argue that it really does not fit in with the common definition of a religion. There is no "supreme being" associated with Buddhism. From what I have learned of it though, this does not preclude one from believing in and worshipping a God. It simply is not a part of the practice of Buddhism.

I do think that Buddhism fits in rather nicely with this thread though, as it has more to do with philosophy than religion.

OCBob said:
Just an observation here. I see Buddhism listed as a religion quite often. I would argue that it really does not fit in with the common definition of a religion. There is no "supreme being" associated with Buddhism. From what I have learned of it though, this does not preclude one from believing in and worshipping a God. It simply is not a part of the practice of Buddhism.

I do think that Buddhism fits in rather nicely with this thread though, as it has more to do with philosophy than religion.

I have to agree with your observations about Buddhism.

However, the definition of religion really doesn't require belief in a Supreme being. Religion as I see it can be anything that allows a traditional set of rules (doctrine or liturgy) to become counterproductive to accomplishing a spiritual result.

That's just an opinion of course............

D

Django said:
I have to agree with your observations about Buddhism.

However, the definition of religion really doesn't require belief in a Supreme being. Religion as I see it can be anything that allows a traditional set of rules (doctrine or liturgy) to become counterproductive to accomplishing a spiritual result.

That's just an opinion of course............

D
Then I really think that Buddhism does not meet the requirements hehe.

This is my favorite quote from Siddhartha Gautama.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

I have found something in Buddhism that I never knew existed. I was introduced to it through Daosa and her family, they never expected me to embrace it, but I have. From the first time that I read through the teachings of the Buddha, I have felt like it was written just for me.

OCBob said:
Then I really think that Buddhism does not meet the requirements hehe.

This is my favorite quote from Siddhartha Gautama.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

From the first time that I read through the teachings of the Buddha, I have felt like it was written just for me.

Then it must be..... at least for the present.........

D

OCBob said:
...I have found something in Buddhism that I never knew existed. I was introduced to it through Daosa and her family, they never expected me to embrace it, but I have. From the first time that I read through the teachings of the Buddha, I have felt like it was written just for me.

That is what independent investigation of truth is all about. Congratulations, you have embarked on a path and found fulfillment early in the process, many never achieve the feeling you seem to have discovered.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back