Thoughts on the SRT-4 Caliber

Hamrhead said:
Thanks Mike! I read your previous post and was hoping you'd elaborate.

I've been considering one of these for a couple months now. I'm just not sure I want to unload my SVT Focus for it.

Now that Mike spoke up, I wonder if my 6'4"/260lb ass will even fit in it, and be comfortable too?:dontknow:

I'd love a new car (everybody does!), and more power is always good (especially Turbo Powa!), but my Focus fits me pretty well, gets
~25-26mpg with the driving I do, still under warranty until 9/09, and I paid cash for it back in 9/04. It's only got 38K miles on it now, so it's far from 'worn out'.

I guess for the time being, I'm keeping the Ford!

Oh yeah, the Focus handles and brakes like a MoFo!!:D :rock: :D

Mike, how do you fit in your viper? if you lost 60#s you could hit 11.7 in the 1/4...

Dont sell the focus...use the money for viper mods

BurntRubber said:
Mike, how do you fit in your viper? if you lost 60#s you could hit 11.7 in the 1/4...

Dont sell the focus...use the money for viper mods
Actually, since I installed the Northwind 1" Seat Lowering Kit and removed my Sun Visors, I fit pretty well! Now, that doesn't mean I want to take a trip across the Country, but to cruise around or even a 75 mile trip to the dragstrip in Jersey, I'm reasonably comfortable.:)

Not sure I want to lose 60lbs, but I wouldn't mind losing 20. Then again, I gained 10 since last Winter when I F'd up my shoulder, but now it's better and I just benched 260 for 10 reps last week, and I'm still going up. The extra poundage does give ya some power. Shoulder feels great too! And who am I kidding anyway, I like Beer and Pizza.:p

As of this minute I agree with you about my Focus. I'm going to hold off on the Caliber. It doesn't seem to be a popular car, and the aftermarket doesn't seem to be catching on either. Besides, I'm just looking for an excuse to get a set of those new Roe high-flow cat pipes! Just don't want to drop $699 for them, plus installation = well over 1K!:eek::eek::eek: Though, I do deserve them.:D

Hamrhead said:
Actually, since I installed the Northwind 1" Seat Lowering Kit and removed my Sun Visors, I fit pretty well! Now, that doesn't mean I want to take a trip across the Country, but to cruise around or even a 75 mile trip to the dragstrip in Jersey, I'm reasonably comfortable.:)

Not sure I want to lose 60lbs, but I wouldn't mind losing 20. Then again, I gained 10 since last Winter when I F'd up my shoulder, but now it's better and I just benched 260 for 10 reps last week, and I'm still going up. The extra poundage does give ya some power. Shoulder feels great too! And who am I kidding anyway, I like Beer and Pizza.:p

As of this minute I agree with you about my Focus. I'm going to hold off on the Caliber. It doesn't seem to be a popular car, and the aftermarket doesn't seem to be catching on either. Besides, I'm just looking for an excuse to get a set of those new Roe high-flow cat pipes! Just don't want to drop $699 for them, plus installation = well over 1K!:eek::eek::eek: Though, I do deserve them.:D

Man my shoulder have been bad for years. one seperated, one dislocated...i think i tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder about 2 months ago. needles to say, 2 years ago this august i benched 445#s weighing 238. now i am 190 and can maybe do 275 for 2 or 3 reps

My neighbor has one and I found it hard to get in and out of it at 6-1 and 260 pds...

Just my 2 cents....

Wil

Manic said:
My neighbor has one and I found it hard to get in and out of it at 6-1 and 260 pds...

Just my 2 cents....

Wil

I drove one for the weekend. At 6'0" and 290lbs can you say circus bear?

I was putting my head where the sunroof is so when I did hit a bump I didn't rattle my teeth.

The caliber is cool but not big man friendly.

One other opinion...if it is possible to set "want" aside...difficult I agree...with $8k left on the truck, and a paid off Ram...you are very close to a very good situation...no truck payments...

If you are paying less in repairs per month than another car will cost you are financially improving your vehicle expense...if you were to gut it out with the vehicles you have...you might be in a position in 18 months...to sell two vehicles and get one without any cash outlay. Once you get to that point, create an account into which you put a car payment each month...let compounding help you rather than being eaten up with interest.

Once people orchestrate a way to be free of vehicle payments (it just takes gritting your teeth for a while) you will never pay interest on a car again. Think about interest free vehicles for the rest of your life...that is maybe $100,000 for some of you young bucks!

Just my opinion...but you will not be perpetuating the debt cycle, you will be purchasing what you can afford with cash...paying no interest, and purchasing at the lowest possible price...interest should only be paid on items that appreciate in value not things that depreciate.

Think about it...

i work o the neons all the time, and personally, the engines even unmodded are unreliable. i love dodge to death but dont trust that engine...... if you want more info on my experiances pm me

z-man said:
I drove one for the weekend. At 6'0" and 290lbs can you say circus bear?

I was putting my head where the sunroof is so when I did hit a bump I didn't rattle my teeth.

The caliber is cool but not big man friendly.

The sunroof was definately an issue too. It felt like I was going to lose the rest of my hair from the top of my head rubbing on the liner. The half inch drop makes a huge difference in a small car.

Otherwise, I don't mind small cars as long as they're 2 doors and the seat moves back enough which is another story...

Wil

Stanimal said:
i work o the neons all the time, and personally, the engines even unmodded are unreliable. i love dodge to death but dont trust that engine...... if you want more info on my experiances pm me

My professional experience with those motors has been they're relatively bulletproof.

I ran a 50 trim T3/T4 on mine at 22 lbs. and made 430 to the front tires on pump with never cracking the motor. I ran the car 10,000 miles on a good tune before I sold it to pick up my SRT-10 and that guy went to a DBB 60-1 and still has no issues.

Same as mentioned, feel free to PM me about SRT-4s as well. I worked with Lake Effect Racing, who campaigned several One Lap of America class-winning cars.

Lots of feedback... Thanks....

I am meeting with the sales guy again tomorrow to talk numbers and options. I am having second thoughts after reading some of the comments here though. The thought of not having 3 car payments is very appealing. I wonder how long a well maintained hemi can last. I know its hit or miss since anything can go wrong at anytime. The body on the truck is perfect and the interior you can eat off of.
The concern that keeps popping into my head is that vehicles just dont last much passed their warranty before you start having issues. My truck had the 7/70 on it that passed a year and a half ago. It is not burning or leaking oil either. But for how much longer... Thats the issue... Take a chance on it or get what I can for it now before it is useless.

I think being without payments is sound reasoning but...you drive amost twice the average miles per year....If the Caliber can get just 8mpg better than your truck you would save over $4,000 per year based on your current miles per year and current gas prices....this would pay for your car in 5-6 yrs..:dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
I think being without payments is sound reasoning but...you drive amost twice the average miles per year....If the Caliber can get just 8mpg better than your truck you would save over $4,000 per year based on your current miles per year and current gas prices....this would pay for your car in 5-6 yrs..:dontknow:

True... I guess I will see what kind of a deal they will make me. I think loaded, the price is $26k. If I can get one for 22-23k it will help with the decision making.

As far as the engine. I am understanding its a new world 2.4 turbo. Same as the mitsubishi but more hp and tq. Car and driver liked the neon better for its width and height. Neons appear a little quicker too. I dont care much about that though. I just want a car that can move with the AC running.
:D

TREKER said:
Lots of feedback... Thanks....

I am meeting with the sales guy again tomorrow to talk numbers and options. I am having second thoughts after reading some of the comments here though. The thought of not having 3 car payments is very appealing. I wonder how long a well maintained hemi can last. I know its hit or miss since anything can go wrong at anytime. The body on the truck is perfect and the interior you can eat off of.
The concern that keeps popping into my head is that vehicles just dont last much passed their warranty before you start having issues. My truck had the 7/70 on it that passed a year and a half ago. It is not burning or leaking oil either. But for how much longer... Thats the issue... Take a chance on it or get what I can for it now before it is useless.

No payments (within reason) is my goal also. I have about 2 years left and all payments other then the house will be finished.

Dodge parts are fairly easy to come by, maybe a good auto wrecker might be a good source if something major goes wrong if you decide to keep your truck.

Wil

Wil you are on track to financial independence...setting the goal is so important.

(It doesn't hurt to marry a brilliant, well employed scientist either!)

I really get a little depressed when I hear about friends here overextending for a hobby vehicle. Our egos and wants, often overrule our reasoning.

Credit is wonderful if used in the right ways. But credit for discretionary items is not good strategy. Once people get beyond debt financing, except for appreciating assets, the sooner the individual can approach financial independence...

(TAKE NOTE UNITED STATES DECISION MAKERS!)

The debt the government is placing on our backs is enough debt for every person! Canadians like Wil have about $20,000 in national debt and it is declining rapidly. We Americans (every man woman and child) have about $30,000 in national debt and it is rapidly increasing...

If there are four people in your household, add $120,000 to your debt calculations fellow Americans.

The above is why I am a social liberal and fiscal conservative.

Thanks Roy! :eek:

It feels like it is taking forever... :slug: :slug: :slug:

Almost had a slip up though. :eek: BMW dropped the price of the K1200S $5000 up here and I was definately twitching. :argh: They went from $21500 down to $16500. Soon darn it... Soon! :) :burnout:

Wil

Be careful...our testosterone gets into trouble more often than we like...and you never know when the well will run dry...or in your case, overflow!:D

to much depreciation in a new car, get a 2 year old WRX or Evo

i test drove this puppy a few months back and i must say that it just doesnt feel like its all there.....it feels like they cut a few corners compared to the srt4 neon.....and omg the torque steer on the caliber is outrageous, it feels like the caliber wants to yank the wheel outta your hands....it does look pretty sweet though.....3.5 out of 5.....just my $.02.....im just a kid from cali so what do i know

Prof said:
One other opinion...if it is possible to set "want" aside...difficult I agree...with $8k left on the truck, and a paid off Ram...you are very close to a very good situation...no truck payments...

If you are paying less in repairs per month than another car will cost you are financially improving your vehicle expense...if you were to gut it out with the vehicles you have...you might be in a position in 18 months...to sell two vehicles and get one without any cash outlay. Once you get to that point, create an account into which you put a car payment each month...let compounding help you rather than being eaten up with interest.

Once people orchestrate a way to be free of vehicle payments (it just takes gritting your teeth for a while) you will never pay interest on a car again. Think about interest free vehicles for the rest of your life...that is maybe $100,000 for some of you young bucks!

Just my opinion...but you will not be perpetuating the debt cycle, you will be purchasing what you can afford with cash...paying no interest, and purchasing at the lowest possible price...interest should only be paid on items that appreciate in value not things that depreciate.

Think about it...
^Smart Man!:beer:

I managed to pay cash for my last 3 vehicles (SRT Ram, Focus, and Viper)

Considering the interest rates that my local bank is paying me for my money, I really don't want to pay them any interest on a car loan for their money either.:aetsch:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back