tire size - any issues?

moparracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm close to tire replacement & am curious...... has anyone had issues with tire size changes?
i'm considering 305/45/22's over the stock 305/40/22's to better fill the wheel well/looks........ anyone had fit, noise, ride or wear issues?
the speedo relearns the bigger tire, right?

any info appreciated, thanks. :)

moparracing said:
i'm close to tire replacement & am curious...... has anyone had issues with tire size changes?
i'm considering 305/45/22's over the stock 305/40/22's to better fill the wheel well/looks........ anyone had fit, noise, ride or wear issues?
the speedo relearns the bigger tire, right?

any info appreciated, thanks. :)
Just bought some Continental Cross Contact 305/40/22's and I love the tires, Batram runs them in 45's as well...nice tire, no harm in running a 45 series bro.:rock:

New tire size is approx 1.2 inches taller than the factory... if you do change your tire size make sure you change your pinion factor for the new size... the 305-45-22 is 615 rpm vs. 638 rpm on the 305-40-22

TheMoparConnection said:
New tire size is approx 1.2 inches taller than the factory... if you do change your tire size make sure you change your pinion factor for the new size... the 305-45-22 is 615 rpm vs. 638 rpm on the 305-40-22
are you talking about the pinion gear in the rear end?

what if i don't change, issues ?
:dontknow:

no the pinion factor in the abs module to adjust your speedo. if you dont your speedo will read 60 and you will actually be going 62-63. its simple to do with a drbIII. just call your local dealer and ask them how much they'll charge to change you pinion factor----should be about 50 bucks

Once again this site proves to be a winner :congrats: when we talk about our Trucks.......

Quick

TheMoparConnection said:
no the pinion factor in the abs module to adjust your speedo. if you dont your speedo will read 60 and you will actually be going 62-63. its simple to do with a drbIII. just call your local dealer and ask them how much they'll charge to change you pinion factor----should be about 50 bucks
do i just tell them the tire size or do i need a pinion factor # for them to do it right? :dontknow:

tell them to change your pinion factor to 615 revs per mile when you get the new tire size

Hey bud! I run Continental CrossContact UHP 305/45ZR22 tires rated at over 160mph. They're a great tire in the dry AND wet, no hydroplaning. We have some rugged roads down here, all sealed etc just some of the back blocks are like the rest of our country, native lol....think Mad Max. I got them for 2 main reasons; 1) they fill in the wheel wells much better and make the truck look how it should - muscle. With the 1.2 extra inch in the tires, in effect, you make the truck appear lowered by that much on top of the lowering kit, as the wheel gap is much shorter to the well, if that makes sense. 2) traction. More side wall offers greater flex which equals greater traction. The road bounce is hard to say, I personally didn't notice any difference, the truck glides along nicely. If anything, perhaps a little softer over bumps.

I have been lowered via Tony's 1"/2" drop and my RH side (drivers) used to hit the inner guard very lightly over good bumps and dips at highway speeds. I put in spacers in (1/2") and it lifted my truck and now I have ZERO issues and with the extra sidewall you get the lowered look while higher ground clearance than a stock 40 series vehicle. I didn't notice any rpm difference at 100kph/62mph, maybe 1-2mph at most with the T56? Now I run the 4L80E I have a Compushift so it's as easy as going to the tire screen size in set up and changing it to suit. :p For me, there were too many reasons not too, the traction factor alone should see everyone switching IMO. So many threads on traction and everyone doing minute things yet overlooking this. We need tires, they fit and work, why not! 40s will give you great corner speed but lets face it, if we wanted to handle corners like CARS we wouldn't have purchased TRUCKS. These beasts are straight-liners, sure they can go around tracks OK but they are at home stomping a 1/4 or on the highway hunting for food. :D

2c

TireRack1.jpg

TheBatram04.JPG

No worries mate! Tirerack, guy named Porter. He kicked ass man. Not sure how he did it, but I got them shipped to my door in New Zealand, from the US of A in 5 days for around $250-$300 USD lol. What I got them for, I could have only purchased 1, possibly 2 tires in NZD, I'll be going there again when replacements are required. :)

post 14 by Carl tell it like it is...:rock:
i got the same 45 tires here :congrats:

TheMoparConnection said:

the taller the tire the slower the speedo:rock: :rock: :rock:

ZCx said:
the taller the tire the slower the speedo:rock: :rock: :rock:
Also, whatever grip you may be gaining due to the tailer sidewall, it's gonna hurt your gear ratio. So, it may actually hurt your quarter mile times.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back