To HID or Not To HID

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
..........that is the question. :D Lets face it, the OEM bulbs aren't the greatest. To be perfectly blunt, they're better suited to the front of a bicycle. I've been doing stacks of research and am weighing up my options. The HID's look good on paper but like so many aftermarket parts, when you get them, they fail to impress and live up to all the forum hype. The main concerns going HID for me are that dreaded cluster bulb out light that no one seems to have a proper fix for. Some guys claim to know but in the searches the results are 50/50, works for some, doesn't for others. I've seen 3? guys now who went HID then back to bulbs because they simply couldn't stand the light coming on. The wiring doesn't scare me or the install, just the quirks which (can) also include; no high beam, flickering and while not a quirk, more money for something that in searches seems to be a little iffy.

The other option is a simple bulb replacement (PIAA or Silverstars), which on paper seems like the best route. There is only 2 concerns with this. 1) some people are claiming to have gotten hot wires, connectors and/or light housings from using higher wattage bulbs which is a little scary, I doubt fire can come from it but still, peace of mind is priceless. The other is they burn out quick due to their higher ratings (hardly a major concern). But, they do the job nicely for a fraction of the cost and are close enough to HID light power. What do you guys recommend? What are you aftermarket light/bulb guys running? I've been talking it over with XenonDepot but it looks like it maybe a personal choice. I'd go HID if all the quirks were fixed but still, the lack of a high beam isn't good and I'd have to go bulb route for the fog light anyhow. But on the other hand, I like the permanet install type setup of the HID. Any input and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

BatramLegal1.jpg

you have listed all of my concerns for HIDs also Carl

i have the Silver Stars, head & drivin lights. i get bout a year out of the drivin lights, if the truck is movin the drivin lights are on. at $40 a pair for a year seems a bit pricey for blubs.

i don't like the loss of high beam either. the kits that do advertise low & high beams are just little flapper doors to shade the light a bit.

only plan i'm thinkin bout right now is to try a set for the drivin lights & see how i likes them.

if any of that helps

I love the kits from XenonDepot on here. They're basically a plug and play design and easy to install. I know the Lamp Out fix I wrote up works with them too. My new truck has One X HID kits on it (previous owner installed them) and I really don't care for them. There's a lot more wires involved compared to XenonDepot's kits and the bulbs aren't as clean/bright. Plus, since they don't untilize the factory wiring harnesses for the main headlights, the Lamp Out fix doesn't work on them.

ZCx said:
you have listed all of my concerns for HIDs also Carl

i have the Silver Stars, head & drivin lights. i get bout a year out of the drivin lights, if the truck is movin the drivin lights are on. at $40 a pair for a year seems a bit pricey for blubs.

i don't like the loss of high beam either. the kits that do advertise low & high beams are just little flapper doors to shade the light a bit.

only plan i'm thinkin bout right now is to try a set for the drivin lights & see how i likes them.

if any of that helps
Thanks mate, seems we think a like. :) A saw XenonDepot post in one of the searches that they won't deal or sell hi/low beam HID kits as they are very prominent to failure. He said their low beam kit is basically bulletproof. If I go HID, I'll be going to XenonDepot for sure. 1 his kits are the best, 2I don't short cut and 3 he's a vendor so it's always nice to support them where possible. The high beam for me is probably the least concerning. I'm thinking the different isn't noticeable due to the simple fact the low IS basically the high lol, just means 1 setting instead of 2, that I can live with. It's the "Bulb Out" instrument cluster light and the flickering that is worrying.

johnnybravo said:
I love the kits from XenonDepot on here. They're basically a plug and play design and easy to install. I know the Lamp Out fix I wrote up works with them too. My new truck has One X HID kits on it (previous owner installed them) and I really don't care for them. There's a lot more wires involved compared to XenonDepot's kits and the bulbs aren't as clean/bright. Plus, since they don't untilize the factory wiring harnesses for the main headlights, the Lamp Out fix doesn't work on them.
Thanks Johnny. Definitely reassuring. I guess I'm just worried about those where the fix didn't work and now I'm thinking it's because those guys have "other" brands, not the Xenon kit. Hmmmm, this is sounding good. What is the difference in the 6000K, 8000K kits, etc? I don't want blue, just the brightest WHITE light possible. :) What was the difference in light (roughly), real world, around 35%+ increase over stock? Also, do you have any flickering?

Carlwalski said:
Thanks Johnny. Definitely reassuring. I guess I'm just worried about those where the fix didn't work and now I'm thinking it's because those guys have "other" brands, not the Xenon kit. Hmmmm, this is sounding good. What is the difference in the 6000K, 8000K kits, etc? I don't want blue, just the brightest WHITE light possible. :) What was the difference in light (roughly), real world, around 35%+ increase over stock? Also, do you have any flickering?
The '06's do not have the "light out" issue. That was strictly an '05 and earlier issue. That being said us 06 owners use to have to deal with a flicker every once in while, which is annoying. I've been running 8000k Hi/Lo HID's in my last three '06 rams along with 3000k HID fog lamps and cannot go back to regular halogen bulbs. There's a huge difference. I deal with Tim (Twiggy) over at DodgeTalk.com http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60. Great service and quality parts. He has a special relay harness for the '06's for the flickering and the '05's for the "lamp out" problem. I heard he's becoming a Police Officer and he may not be doing this much longer. Contact him over there and see if you can get your hands on a harness kit and HID kit. You wont be disappointed. Very easy to install.

Carlwalski said:

The reason the lamp out fix doesn't work with other brands is they bypass the factory bulb harness. With the xenondepot kit, you plug into the harness and but there isn't a pin for the hi beam wire. Which means all you do is connect the hi and lo beam wire in the harness so the computer gets a resistance reading tricking it into thinking all's ok. 5000k bullbs have the most useable light and are "diamond white." I have the 6500k and they are just barely getting hints of blue in them. There is no flickering with the XD kits for sure. And they are bright as hell! I was driving on the back roads in KS at night and I could see better than I could with normal hi beams.

Carlwalski said:
The 6000k will give you that blue color. The 8000k's (which is what I use) will give you the more white look with a very slight hint of purple. 8000k is what you see on most factory vehicles.

XenonDepot's 6500K bulbs.

Attachments

• DSCF0540.JPG
    DSCF0540.JPG
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0537.JPG
    DSCF0537.JPG
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 34
johnnybravo said:
The reason the lamp out fix doesn't work with other brands is they bypass the factory bulb harness. With the xenondepot kit, you plug into the harness and but there isn't a pin for the hi beam wire. Which means all you do is connect the hi and lo beam wire in the harness so the computer gets a resistance reading tricking it into thinking all's ok. 5000k bullbs have the most useable light and are "diamond white." I have the 6500k and they are just barely getting hints of blue in them. There is no flickering with the XD kits for sure. And they are bright as hell! I was driving on the back roads in KS at night and I could see better than I could with normal hi beams.
Thanks mate, so what does the ####K number actually represent? Just that between you guys the 6000k is the blue light, the 5000K is the white light and the 6500K has just a hint of blue while the 8000K is the whitest lol. Seems 06 is the good year to have lol. I read in one of the "how to" posts over at dodgetalk about having to bake the lights and pull them apart like that, WTF?? Is this how all of them are done? I haven't heard or seen that in any searches here. Sounds like a lot of work if so. Either way, it sounds like the bulb out warning light isn't an issue and if it is, theres a fix using the Xenon & Twiggy setups. The flickering also seems non existent. Thanks for the help guys, good info to know.

johnnybravo said:
XenonDepot's 6500K bulbs.
They sure do look good/awfully tempting. What did the full set (headlight and foglight) combo set you back? :dontknow:

Thanks but as always, I'm doing my research. I don't throw money down until I know what I'm buying. :)
Also, they don't make Ultras for H13 2006 style headlights, only the ST and XV series. Thanks for the input!

Thanks mate, I'm actually hoping that what ever way I go, they'll be bright enough to shine through the headlight covers I run. If not good enough at night, then for dusk/dawn driving which is when I usually head out for photoshoots, drives and roadtrips etc. I'm sure the HID will give me that as the stock bulbs do an "OK" job but it's borderline and I only drive with them on at night if I'm only a few minutes from home. One of the disadvantages of having such a black truck makes it a hard vehicle to be seen and see out of at night, hence the reason I'm going to address this issue. Fabricate some LMAO.....yah idiot! :p lol :laugh:

Silverbullet08 said:
twiggy retired. chad at unique coatings is now the main guy on dt
Yeah, but apparently Tim still has some stuff left and at a greatly reduced price.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back