To HID or Not To HID

Carlwalski said:
All good brother, thanks for looking out for me anyway.

What do you think of those LED bulbs, the $60 pair?

those would be my first choice, then the bottom ones:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, for shits sake. Was about to purchase the bulbs and I got talking to the vendor about HID and I think he swung me the HID way lol. This was the vendor who had bulbs trying to convince me to go HID lol. $90 US for 4 bulbs that will need replacing in 6-12 months is scary. I'm going to PM XenonDepot about the HIDs and just bit the bullet and hope like hell the bulb out isn't an issue. The flickering is easy enough to fix and the high beam doesn't bother me, apparantly they basically ARE high beams lol. Will keep you posted and will eventually post some videos lurking at night. :D

Carlwalski said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, for shits sake. Was about to purchase the bulbs and I got talking to the vendor about HID and I think he swung me the HID way lol. This was the vendor who had bulbs trying to convince me to go HID lol. $90 US for 4 bulbs that will need replacing in 6-12 months is scary. I'm going to PM XenonDepot about the HIDs and just bit the bullet and hope like hell the bulb out isn't an issue. The flickering is easy enough to fix and the high beam doesn't bother me, apparantly they basically ARE high beams lol. Will keep you posted and will eventually post some videos lurking at night. :D

You won't be disappointed Carl. Every oncoming car will hate you, but who cares?

johnnybravo said:
You won't be disappointed Carl. Every oncoming car will hate you, but who cares?
I sure hope so bud, got a good deal though. $330 for HID headlight and foglight conversion kits. :) The bulbs in the end I guess are false economy. Save less now, pay more over time. For reference, I am going for the 5000K kit from XenonDepot. The next kit up is 6500K and for me, that's a bit too high/blue. I wanted to stick around the brightest output (4300K) but come up a few knots to increase the whiteness, the 5000K fit the bill and Xenon recommended it to me. A perfect compromise.

I'll keep you all posted. :rock:

Troy's QC SRT said:
Buy your HIDS through the link i posted Carl......
OH. OK then! Not. :p :laugh:

Troy, with all due respect, I'll stick to this site and it's vendors. Not only does it give me a leg to stand on, it helps run this site.
I don't know the guy in the link from a bar of soap and don't go buy something at the drop of a hat from soneone I know nothing about. ;)

TREKER said:
That works, good price for sure, double that + a little extra for the fog lights and it's still $60-$70. Shipping for me would take it over $100. :eek: I'm going HID 100% now so no turning back for me lol. HID are the brightest which won me over, can't beat them and I also love the permanence of them. But, for those in the USA looking for the bulbs route, your link will serve them well. ;)

Carlwalski said:
Thanks guys, still weighing up which route I'll take, both have pros and cons, the HID more cons but yeah, just sitting on the fence for now.

In terms of reverse bulbs, I'm looking into these badboys (link below). They are Putco 3157 bulbs (same as the factory 3057 bulb fitting) and 360 LEDs, they seem like a plug and play, surely there is no need to wire these bulbs in like the front HID style lights with ballast etc? They have the same fitting so I assume they simply just "clip" in like the OEM bulbs, right? The also don't mention anything about other required items in the blurbs I've seen. Just triple checking is all. Pricey ($60) but they look very worth it, they look like they are 2 times the power of the OEMs.

The other option for $15 each are the 2 different ones below the first image, which at this stage of those 2, I like the top image as on paper the light is shining out which make sense for reversing, unless the actual light housing helps increase light? Opinions? Input?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Putco-LED-3157-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20aded412a

233156R-360.jpg

product_photo-large_image-758.jpg

product_photo-large_image-503.jpg
I have the top ones in mine and they work great, even through my tinted tails. As for the Silverstars, you wont be impressed. Dont waste your money. As for modding a mod with the HID's. As has been stated already, if you get a good quality kit, you will not have to mod anything. Strictly plug-n-play. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. You've been given some very good sources for HID kits. Use them, you wont be sorry.

Carlwalski said:
I sure hope so bud, got a good deal though. $330 for HID headlight and foglight conversion kits. :) The bulbs in the end I guess are false economy. Save less now, pay more over time. For reference, I am going for the 5000K kit from XenonDepot. The next kit up is 6500K and for me, that's a bit too high/blue. I wanted to stick around the brightest output (4300K) but come up a few knots to increase the whiteness, the 5000K fit the bill and Xenon recommended it to me. A perfect compromise.

I'll keep you all posted. :rock:
Just make sure that you get the harness with the relay and capacitor. It will take care of the flickering.

I just looked at the link Troy posted again, I noted those kits have 55w digital bulbs where as XenonDepots have 35W. They state on their website that they are the brightest, of course, I don't believe all the hype on websites, of course most places will talk their product up lol but the facts are, 55w vs 35W. Any input?

This kit: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-425/Dodge-Ram-2006-2007/Detail

Carlwalski said:
OH. OK then! Not. :p :laugh:

Troy, with all due respect, I'll stick to this site and it's vendors. Not only does it give me a leg to stand on, it helps run this site.
I don't know the guy in the link from a bar of soap and don't go buy something at the drop of a hat from soneone I know nothing about. ;)

understandable bro I would do the same...just didnt know we had a hid sponser here.....thaat was from a sponser on another forum i use.....best of luck with your hids bro:rock:

See the post above mate (55w vs 35w), I'm over at DodgeTruck now, seems MANY use his kit and swear by it.

Carlwalski said:
See the post above mate (55w vs 35w), I'm over at DodgeTruck now, seems MANY use his kit and swear by it.
I have a 55w kit in my truck and a 35w kit in my wife's Armada. Really cant tell the difference.

Carlwalski said:

Thats what i was trying to tell you;) ...Ive been at DT for years...Twiggy has done everyones hids! Now that he has moved on this is who he recommends and swears will replace him with just as good or even slightly better quality.....just keep reading my friend...you might want to seraoisly consider them....Don't forget "dodge" as a promo code to get a discount...Cheers:rock:

Troy I agree with you about Tiggy and retro solutions...

Carl a guy I work with has them on his 2500.... and they are very clean looking on the install and work great I just called him he said he has never had a lamp out switch or flickering.

Thanks guys, they sure seem good. I just got an email back with some questions answered. Very professional.
Over at the Dodgetalk site many have used them. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back