Trainman's Ultimate NA Build

All it would take is lots of $$$$$$$$ and time......this build is awesome, love the N/A power!!!

I agree about it taking money and time, but you forgot about expertise. I believe that is a record for a pump gas Viper motor, car or truck.Greg Good , EED, and everyone else who had their hands this build did an amazing job. Of course special thanks to Trainman for stepping up to go forward with this project in the first place. I can't wait to get to the track.

Thank for letting us know without beating around the bush. Is this just motor cost?

That is all engine, machine work, headers and intake. I still have $4000 in suspension and roll bar. Another $3500 transmission up grade and new clutch. Will have a little more in installation and custom work for air intake (airfilters) and exhaust work so as to not choke this monster once it's installed.

I agree about it taking money and time, but you forgot about expertise. I believe that is a record for a pump gas Viper motor, car or truck.Greg Good , EED, and everyone else who had their hands this build did an amazing job. Of course special thanks to Trainman for stepping up to go forward with this project in the first place. I can't wait to get to the track.

It still has not hit peak horsepower, it could possibly top 900 hp on 91 at this current street tune with 25 degrees timing. Once the external oil pump is in place they will do more pulls to find peak horsepower. We are still guessing if it is at 6200, 6500 or 6800+, then we will put 100+ octane and a race tune in. Any way this thing idles at 850-900 pretty smoothly, but there is a definite rumble. Looking at the steep rise in the horsepower curve they were amazed, it's still gaining 9-11 horsepower every 100 rpm and not tapering off at all. They stopped at 6000 because of the drop in oil pressure. It has the most torque they have seen in an NA motor (let alone 91 octane) and Jim of Exotic Engines says it is developing tremendous pressure (load) on the bearing and causing extra clearance so that the stock oil pump is not adequate. Almost 650 lbft at 2800 means this will be a tremendous street engine........Nothing to see here Lightning owners....move on,......it's just stock.:D

So amazing Mr Trainman. Your doing a great thing. You got any videos of the engine running? I bet WOT is SICK!

So amazing Mr Trainman. Your doing a great thing. You got any videos of the engine running? I bet WOT is SICK!

I took about 30-45 minutes of video with SRTBrads camera. I will get it to him this week and he will edit down to the usable video. Got the engine running and interviews with Jim and Kevin of Exotic engines.

What was your race weight before? You might be looking close to9's

4170 lbs without me. The weight will change some with the addition of the roll cage, and it may lose some weight by eliminating the stock leaf spring suspension and Cal Tracs and the addition of ladder bars and coil overs.

4170 lbs without me. The weight will change some with the addition of the roll cage, and it may lose some weight by eliminating the stock leaf spring suspension and Cal Tracs and the addition of ladder bars and coil overs.

It will be interesting to see the weight difference between the old suspension and the new suspension. What was your previous best 60'?

Very nice power figures across the rev range. So, how much are you expecting for driveline loss to the ground when all is said and done?

Cheers

ain't it pretty much a set amount???

no matter how much power the engine is makin, it will still take the same amount of power to turn the tranny, to turn the driveshaft/carrier bearin, rear end, tires/wheels, etc.

When I dynod my truck stock, it put down 417hp and 422 torque. So that's 17% loss on my truck.

Just got a picture of the final cam specs: @.050 248-256 degrees, lift .702 I .702 Ex. 114 degree lobe separation.

no matter how much power the engine is makin, it will still take the same amount of power to turn the tranny, to turn the driveshaft/carrier bearin, rear end, tires/wheels, etc.

Here is why I ask....

Yes, a common "set amount" of driveline loss on a stocker is 15-17%. This set up will be far from stock. In a full drag set up, even the wheel/tire combo will be lighter. Is not the rear axle also different from stock? Jerry also mentioned going 4 link. That will assist getting more power down.

Also, for comparison sake, has anyone engine dyno'd a stock engine prior to a build? These are serious #'s and what looks like to be a 400 h.p. increase over stock at the crank. Impressive.

Cheers

No. It would be nice if it was that simple, but it's not. The percentage is pretty close to fixed, not the actual number. This is largely because of the amount of torque being applied to each gear/component/etc. If you are making 100 ib-ft feet or 1000 ib-ft, the 1000 ib-ft will press on each gear 10 times harder, equating to the same percentage of loss at the wheels. In other words, if a stock SRT10 loses 13.1% through the drivetrain (I'm told that's close), then Jerry's monster build will also lose about 13% through the drivetrain.

The only way to truly reduce the percentage of loss is to lighten everything that is rotating mass. This is why most SRT Rams (6 speed) are averaging 420whp stock, and a Viper with the same motor is averaging 440-450whp stock.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back