Truck is running bad & loading up. Anyone got any idea??

robwclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running fine up until today. I started it up and drove about 5 miles, about a mile down the road it started acting up.

The truck has a full built motor, twin garrett 35's, water to air intercooler, Full Aeromotive stand alone rising rate fuel system with 4 extra injectors in front of the TB, about 1000HP at 9lbs of boost, I drive it everyday, but heavily modded, you guys get the picture.

At idle it seems fine, but it runs rough off idle and loads up pretty bad. Fuel Smoke comes out the pipes when it does it(which is most of the time), and cuts out all the way up the rev band when you rev it up sitting still. When normal driving under little load, it still loads up horribly, & cuts out badly, I dont dare put any boost to it.

I have a DRBIII and the only 3 codes are "rich condition bank 2" which I already know, and "map sensor voltage too high", and one more code that it always has about O2 sensor voltage low bank 1 sensor 2. I'm almost certain a new O2 wont cure this problem. I ran an injector kill test, and an IAC idle test with no missfires at idle. It seems to idle pretty good, but as soon as you touch the gas it loads up. Some times it even does it at idle after you come to a stop it almost dies. I just put a new crank sensor in and didnt change a thing. Oh and fuel pressure stays 100% normal at 37-39 psi while all the loading up & cutting out is going on. Any of you educated guys have any idea where to look next. Map sensor maybe, but I doubt it? I'm a pretty capable mechanic myself, but with no codes and all the mod's im lost. What could be causing the injectors to overfuel like this??? Anyone else ran into this problem or one similar? Thanks in advance.

is the lower fuel pressure normal for your set up?????

stock pressure is 58ish

ZCx said:

stock pressure is 58ish
Not a stock system. Sounds like his fuel system can handle doms numbers:rock:

ZCx said:

stock pressure is 58ish

Yea because of the volume FP stays at 37-39, until it sees boost then it shoots up over 100.

robwclark said:
Yea because of the volume FP stays at 37-39, until it sees boost then it shoots up over 100.

dam, lol:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :rock:

DevilDawg3097 said:
Not a stock system. Sounds like his fuel system can handle doms numbers:rock:

oh boy :congrats: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :congrats:

One other thing I just thought of, what are you using to control the fuel pump? if your using the aeromotive for Daily Driver and dont have an FMU(mechanical or electric) Im gonna bet 10-1 your pump is on the way out. They will only last on a daily driver with a voltage regulator (in other words) or you will burn it up. Just a thought. I have the 1000 also (need it now):p alittle over kill but hey why not.

DevilDawg3097 said:
I would say it is your map sensor. Is it the srt 4 2 bar or no?

How do i see which one it is? My truck has the Map reloaced. Do you know where is the map sensor located on a stock 10? I have an extra truck here that has the engine out. I could borrow that one but I can seem to locate it.

The reason I dont think its the map sensor is because my experience is when you see MAP voltage too high, it usually means lack of vaccuum. With the turbos, and the way the truck is running im forced to give it too much throttle normal driving, this causes there to be no vaccuum, but Imma try the map next anyway. I just gotta find it on this stock 10. Can you direct me to where it is in the engine bay? Thanks

driver side right behind the TB

robwclark said:
How do i see which one it is? My truck has the Map reloaced. Do you know where is the map sensor located on a stock 10? I have an extra truck here that has the engine out. I could borrow that one but I can seem to locate it.

The reason I dont think its the map sensor is because my experience is when you see MAP voltage too high, it usually means lack of vaccuum. With the turbos, and the way the truck is running im forced to give it too much throttle normal driving, this causes there to be no vaccuum, but Imma try the map next anyway. I just gotta find it on this stock 10. Can you direct me to where it is in the engine bay? Thanks
Thats why I need to know if is a 2 bar. The vacccum port on them will get some shit stuck in them and that will mess with the readings ( and drive someone to pull their hair out because no codes) Are you running a vec or sct if it is a vec then the boost runs thru that and not the map sensor. If your using the sct then you have a 2 bar and more then likely you got shit in there ie carbon build etc from the turbo(rarely happens on s/c).

DevilDawg3097 said:
One other thing I just thought of, what are you using to control the fuel pump? if your using the aeromotive for Daily Driver and dont have an FMU(mechanical or electric) Im gonna bet 10-1 your pump is on the way out. They will only last on a daily driver with a voltage regulator (in other words) or you will burn it up. Just a thought. I have the 1000 also (need it now):p alittle over kill but hey why not.

The problem is not in the fuel system itself Im pretty sure. Its something like a sensor telling the PCM with give it too much fuel. The fuel pressure is absolutely perfect as always. Its an Eliminator, not an A1000 pump, but I do have the aeromotive fuel pump controller that lowers the voltage to the pump. Ive been through 2 Eliminator pump rebuilds, so I now have the controller. I wonder if I got water in the gas or bad fuel maybe????

Just a thought...check your plug wires very carefully...if on has touch the exhaust manifold it could be burned, or shorting out, which might cause the non-burning of fuel...it is a pretty basic thing, but it happened to me...and replacement of the one wire between the coil pack and the plug solved the problem.

Good luck...hope it is simple...

Prof said:
Just a thought...check your plug wires very carefully...if on has touch the exhaust manifold it could be burned, or shorting out, which might cause the non-burning of fuel...it is a pretty basic thing, but it happened to me...and replacement of the one wire between the coil pack and the plug solved the problem.

Forgot about that, your absolutly right 2 sets of msd here also. Nice call:congrats:

DevilDawg3097 said:
Thats why I need to know if is a 2 bar. The vacccum port on them will get some shit stuck in them and that will mess with the readings ( and drive someone to pull their hair out because no codes) Are you running a vec or sct if it is a vec then the boost runs thru that and not the map sensor. If your using the sct then you have a 2 bar and more then likely you got shit in there ie carbon build etc from the turbo(rarely happens on s/c).

It must be a 2-Bar. The PCM was custom programmed without a VEC so must be something sililar to an SCT tuner, but here is a pic of the Map sensor

Attachments

• DSC08818.JPG
    DSC08818.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC08820.JPG
    DSC08820.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 73
robwclark said:
It must be a 2-Bar. The PCM was custom programmed without a VEC so must be something sililar to an SCT tuner, but here is a pic of the Map sensor
Yup 2 bar. If you can get the hose off without messing it up, then if you have a pick gently and not alot of force just clean it out and check the those make sure nothing is stuck in the line or if the line has a pin hole or dry rott. Also Prof maybe be right and it is the easiest to check. In the garage wih the light off run the truck (make sure it is dark) and check for sparks (mine looked like the forth of july under the hood), but even one spark plug cable will mess allkinds of shtuff up. Also the easiest to check.

Prof said:

Yea this again would be advice I would promply give too, Thanks Prof, however I already know its not a spark miss. The engine isnt missing AT ALL, just loading up with fuel like a SOB. Something is causing the injectors or maybe even just one injector to overfuel. The truck has always had a hard time holding fuel pressure. When that eiminator pump cuts off fuel pressure drops VERY quickly, and the truck will make my shop smell like gas if I leave it in there. I wonder if I have an injector that has been bleeding down,and now gone static??? The injector kill test should have eliminated that though.

ZCx said:
driver side right behind the TB

I still cant find it. Maybe this other truck had a VEC on it. Does it bolt to the intake manifold, on the driver side? Is it visible on a stock 10?

robwclark said:
Been running fine up until today. I started it up and drove about 5 miles, about a mile down the road it started acting up.

The truck has a full built motor, twin garrett 35's, water to air intercooler, Full Aeromotive stand alone rising rate fuel system with 4 extra injectors in front of the TB, about 1000HP at 9lbs of boost, I drive it everyday, but heavily modded, you guys get the picture.

At idle it seems fine, but it runs rough off idle and loads up pretty bad. Fuel Smoke comes out the pipes when it does it(which is most of the time), and cuts out all the way up the rev band when you rev it up sitting still. When normal driving under little load, it still loads up horribly, & cuts out badly, I dont dare put any boost to it.

I have a DRBIII and the only 3 codes are "rich condition bank 2" which I already know, and "map sensor voltage too high", and one more code that it always has about O2 sensor voltage low bank 1 sensor 2. I'm almost certain a new O2 wont cure this problem. I ran an injector kill test, and an IAC idle test with no missfires at idle. It seems to idle pretty good, but as soon as you touch the gas it loads up. Some times it even does it at idle after you come to a stop it almost dies. I just put a new crank sensor in and didnt change a thing. Oh and fuel pressure stays 100% normal at 37-39 psi while all the loading up & cutting out is going on. Any of you educated guys have any idea where to look next. Map sensor maybe, but I doubt it? I'm a pretty capable mechanic myself, but with no codes and all the mod's im lost. What could be causing the injectors to overfuel like this??? Anyone else ran into this problem or one similar? Thanks in advance.
disconnect the xtra injectors

robwclark said:
I still cant find it. Maybe this other truck had a VEC on it. Does it bolt to the intake manifold, on the driver side? Is it visible on a stock 10?

on the intake itself

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back